Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sabbatical Elections 2009

Options
  • 24-01-2009 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mick27

Right so the deadline this year for Sabbatical nominations is Feb 12th.

Lets get it started!

Whos running?

And What issues are affecting us this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Only ones I'm aware of so far are:

Chris Bond for El Presidenté

Ciaran Fitz for VP (or C&C as they call it now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mick27

Right I see this thread as been viewed 40 times yet no one has commented:confused:

I guess I'll throw some names out there then:

Here are the rumoured so far:

President:
    Isobel O'Connor
    Paul Lynam
    Paddy Ryan
    Chris Bond

Will Paul Lynam run again?
    His input against Fees would be brilliant and with his experience is way stronger than the others.

Campaigns and Communications VP:
    Ciaran Fitzgerald
    Paddy Ryan (again)
    Kimberly Foy

I've heard Fitzer has ruffled a few feathers in the Union, bit of a loudmouth, might be good for Campaigning though:rolleyes:

Education VP:
    Donnacha O Suilleabhain
    Kimberly Foy
    Aine Gilhooly

Dunno if Donnacha has the likeabilty
    Kim Foy is the obvious choice:D

Welfare VP:
    Dani Pender
    Scott Ahearn

I know Dani is already on the corridor as a member of staff, I don't think she has the experience or the campaign team.
    Ahearn in a re-run!! might finally be his year. I've heard he has done great work as Disability Rep this year and seems determined!

Ents VP:
    Gary Ward
    Gary Redmond
    Stephen Darcy
    Johnny Cosgrove

I hope Gary Redmond doesn't seek re-election.
    Johnny Cosgrove or Gary Ward are the two I'm torn between.
    Johnny has experience but Gary is such a nice guy....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mick27

sorry karmabass

wasn't disregarding you:D

didn't see your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

Will Paul Lynam run again?
    His input against Fees would be brilliant

um....er...what has his input against fees been so far this year? Srsly?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

So far Lynam has been good according to all credible accounts that I've heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Mick27 wrote: »
    sorry karmabass

wasn't disregarding you:D

didn't see your post

Haha no worries, I was sticking to the ones I was sure of, didn't want to drive the rumour mill :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

So far Lynam has been good according to all credible accounts that I've heard.
    I'm not saying he isn't, but if somebody states that he'd be good in the fight against fees, I want to know why they think that, what evidence do they point to. Similarly, rather than saying he has been good by all accounts why not point out what he has done?

I'm not having a go at anyone, but without refering to anything it just looks like anonymous cheerleading by friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Cant believe my name didnt pop up in there :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

Gary Ward would do a brilliant job for ents, he's a sound man, who can get on with the wide variety of people who attend this college. He's also not one of those boring types of people who are running for positions for status and political reasons. He genuinely loves a party. His connections will guarantee a great performance as ents rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

betafrog wrote: »
    I'm gonna jump in here and state that I really couldn't give a hoot, and I'm pretty sure that the majority of the student body would be in the same boat.

80-90% of students cant be wrong :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Gary Ward would do a brilliant job for ents, he's a sound man, who can get on with the wide variety of people who attend this college. He's also not one of those boring types of people who are running for positions for status and political reasons. He genuinely loves a party. His connections will guarantee a great performance as ents rep.

Lovely guy alright but what connections would these be - DJing the odd time in Wax?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Towards the end of the semester a year ago, the Election campaigning became incredibly disruptive: lectures being delayed by various people asking us to vote for them, by promising various things. At no point did anyone actually explain what these Sabbatical officers actually did. I had to go on to Wikipedia to find out what a "Sabbatical Officer" is, and when I did, it explained a lot. Such as why all these people wanted our votes - since it means a paid year off from their various degree courses, to do... what, exactly? :confused:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

One or two people listed there are currently in final year of arts, they will be graduating this year so in my reckoning if they ran and won they would be sabbatical officers but not students anymore. Is this common?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

betafrog wrote: »
    I'm gonna jump in here and state that I really couldn't give a hoot, and I'm pretty sure that the majority of the student body would be in the same boat.

^^ What he said. It's all just people acting like gob****es to pad their resumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

It's the same thing every year, it drives me up the wall! Goons harass the shi-ite out of you for about a month (give or take a week or two) for some election, that really means nothing, for some position that really means nothing (really who cares who is the vp or even the president of the su? You never really come in contact with them anyway, kind of like the real Hugh Brady and Phil Nolan). Fee's my bollocks, fees will be brought back in as nobody (i.e. real politicians in the Dáil) gives a feck about some knob "sabbatical officer", or pissy student protest, OAP's had a greater impact than students in the protests in October! So voting for some clown on that basis makes no sense at all. Fair enough they might be the soundest people in the world, but at the end of the day, the student bar will always have the venga boys and the wolf tones, if you're doing crap in a module get grinds/work harder or go to the lecturer, welfare: go see the chaplain or your gp, accommodation: http://www.daft.ie, etc....

There ends my boards rant for the month!:pac:

The Union only means nothing to do you if you dont bother your arse to get involved in the life of the college. Plus if you run for ents perhaps you can bring other bands than the wolf tones and vengaboys. Thats what I want to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Grimes wrote: »
    The Union only means nothing to do you if you dont bother your arse to get involved in the life of the college. Plus if you run for ents perhaps you can bring other bands than the wolf tones and vengaboys. Thats what I want to see

Bengaboys never came. Their bus broke down around Churchtown and they haven't been seen since

That's always the cop-out excuse made 'oh if you're so pissed off at them (su, govn't etc...), then try and do the job yourself', by that logic you could say that Batt O'Keefe is a complete prick of a Minister for Education (and I'd say all around prick in general!), but does that mean then I should run in the next general election, and try and become Minister for Education? "Get involved in the life of the college", I do: Monday-Friday: Flannery's, Copper's, D2, Tripod, Purty Kitchen etc.... there's some "college life" for you!
    And you have to admit though, for the money that they get off of us and the college, the Venga Boys lip synching and Derek Warfield's rubbish ra tunes is bad form in this day and age.

The Union means nothing, because it does nothing and I tell ya how this will be proven: the reintroduction of fees. They're also kind of hypocritical on this since they want a big, shiny, new student centre and out of our pockets as well! They're goons, simple as that!:)

El Siglo wrote: »
    I do: Monday-Friday: Flannery's, Copper's, D2, Tripod, Purty Kitchen etc.... there's some "college life" for you!

The Union means nothing, because it does nothing and I tell ya how this will be proven: the reintroduction of fees. They're also kind of hypocritical on this since they want a big, shiny, new student centre and out of our pockets as well! They're goons, simple as that!:)

Do you buy anything in the shops around campus, do you read the college newspapers? Or do you just get pissed in coppers and moan about one facet of union life, the possiblity of seeing the vengaboys. If you think the union does nothing then you obviously dont know much about the union and are simply talking out your arse. Now its Monday night, shouldnt you be knocking back some cheap drink in a second rate club possibly at a union promoted event?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

So... probably time for the usual affiliation for to not get banned thread then.

• Advertisement

Do you buy anything in the shops around campus, do you read the college newspapers? Or do you just get pissed in coppers and moan about one facet of union life, the possiblity of seeing the vengaboys. If you think the union does nothing then you obviously dont know much about the union and are simply talking out your arse. Now its Monday night, shouldnt you be knocking back some cheap drink in a second rate club possibly at a union promoted event?

College newspapers, are either rags (tribune is the star) or they're just incredibly pretentious (the observer).
    Or do you just get pissed in coppers and moan about one facet of union life, the possiblity of seeing the vengaboys.

No I'm not moaning about one facet of it, I think they're's a lot more there that can be criticised: exam results farce, that class rep fiasco down in wexford, increases in library late loans etc... The fact that the union want's to build a new student centre, really is that necessary? We're paying for it now, yet with the economy etc... there's a reasonable chance that we'll never see the sight of the place. Again ridiculous, and they get paid to make these decisions?
    Now its Monday night, shouldnt you be knocking back some cheap drink in a second rate club possibly at a union promoted event?

I wouldn't go to any union promoted event if I was being paid, and that's not a cogent argument is it, just because I'm whinging about the union. Really though does it matter which cv padding knob wins in these elections, has it ever occured that maybe they're all just the same? If they can put this much effort into getting elected for the SU, then they must have a lot of free time on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

(really who cares who is the vp or even the president of the su? You never really come in contact with them anyway, kind of like the real Hugh Brady and Phil Nolan).
    I'm not even active in the Union and I've come into contact and had a chat with the current SU president lots of times while on campus.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

The fact that the union want's to build a new student centre, really is that necessary? We're paying for it now, yet with the economy etc... there's a reasonable chance that we'll never see the sight of the place. Again ridiculous, and they get paid to make these decisions?

facepalm_statue.jpg

Just not true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Steve's running against Johnny? That should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Ents is a pretty interesting one all over.

Both Garys, Starcy and Johnny. Pretty sure all could do a good job tbh.

Not sure about Johnny running? Is that official yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Add me to the list of people who despise this annual ego-fest as jumped up nobodies desperately attempt to boost their CVs or to finally find a social group they can play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Rumour has it Johnny ain't but is managing a campaign for James Morrissey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I won't vote for Lynam, he just comes across as blowing a whole load of hot air.

Oh and if any hopeful for ents mentions bringing in "American frat house" style societies that's an automatic loss of my vote.:pac:

• Advertisement

"Change!", "Yes We Can!" etc.....

Advertisement