Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKEA

Options
  • 24-01-2009 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was watching the news on TV covering the opening of the first IKEA store in the republic located in Ballymun creating 500 jobs with store opening in July and i though wouldn't it be create if such positive news were to happen in limerick. Anyway i read in the indo that Ikea's republic boss is very keen to open in the southwest! he said cork, limerick or between galway or limerick! Wouldn't this be brilliant if the powers that be in limerick could lobby the ikea bosses to locate here, i know this could be ages but still in these times and the hits limerick has taken we need them. I know many people are anti ikea, too big and all that but in these desperate times people need jobs. I for one would love to hear positive news for my city and county!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

It would be good to create jobs, but on the other hand there would be more crap furniture about the place. It's a conundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They could occupy EMF3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

why not, it's big enough. move what remaining dell staff there is in January to EMF 1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

We may want it but we dont need it.

We dont need all those home improvement stores anymore. Atlantic or woodies. Pick one and close the rest.

When was the last time you visited one?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

An Ikea would cause more people to lose their jobs than the store itself would create.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yup. It'd be like the WalMart episode of South Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

cathyb03 wrote: »
    I know many people are anti ikea, too big and all that

what person sane in it's mind would object IKEA?! Have those ever been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

Berty wrote: »

We dont need all those home improvement stores anymore. Atlantic or woodies. Pick one and close the rest.

I was in Woodies (a wholly Irish owned store) today and Thursday. Woodies isn't just about home improvements, they also have art canvases, storage solutions etc.

Interestingly, such stores are more likely to do well now than before. People are more likely to consolidate what they have rather than going out buying new. People are more likely to paint walls themselves rather than get in a painter, or put down wooden flooring themselves rather than get in a contractor (we did both before Christmas).

Yes, it would be great if we could get an IKEA here. There will always be a niche in the market for such old established furniture stores such as McCarthys and Caseys but people will travel to IKEA and in doing so, bring business to the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Berty wrote: »

Atlantic and woodies are both over priced and imo useless when compared to B&Q. Okay I know its time to support our own but they have to be worth supporting.

Ikea would be fantastic save the petrol from the trips to the north :)

Leave it around a month at least before visiting Dublin Ikea. Remember the news reports from the London opening.

LONDON (Reuters) - One man has been stabbed and several injured after 4,000 people flocked to the midnight opening of a new Ikea furniture superstore in north London, emergency services say. The Swedish furniture giant was forced to close the store in Edmonton after 30 minutes when it was overwhelmed by shoppers seeking to buy heavily discounted items. "There were 500 people behind me and they were all trying to get through a three-foot gap," shopper Jolene Cooper told Sky News about her experience outside the store's entrance on Thursday. "They kept on trying to shut the doors and not let anyone in, so all the people behind were pushing me. I was really scared. "Shortly after midnight there were1,000 cars queuing to get into the car park with some bargain-hunters abandoning their vehicles on the busy A406 North Circular road to get to the store on foot. The store had been offering huge discounts, including leather sofas at35 pounds for customers arriving between midnight and 3 a.m., as part of a planned 24 hours of opening bargains. Police said the stabbed man had sustained his injury in the area of the store, adding that his injury was not life-threatening. Five other people were taken to hospital, one suffering from chest pains. London Fire Brigade said they helped Ambulance staff deal with 22 people suffering from heat exhaustion and crush injuries. IKEA could not immediately be reached for comment. Last September two men were trampled to death in a rush to claim vouchers when IKEA opened its first store in Saudi Arabia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

lord knows we have enough empty retail units to ficilitate for it anyway! :rolleyes:

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    lord knows we have enough empty retail units to ficilitate for it anyway! :rolleyes:

Rather like Dublin I would imagine it needs to be built in an area of low means like Ballymun.

It would either need to be at the far side of the dual carraigeway by Southill or near Moyross, next to the Tesco Coonagh in between both.

Both areas would have good transport links.

The MD of Ikea said he sees Ireland having at least 4 Ikea's in the next 5 years and said the next would either be Cork, Limerick or Galway. As Limerick is in the middle I would imagine Limerick would get it.

Ye are making plans for castles in the air!

No Opera. No Coonagh (at least not as it was meant to be). No Parkway. And ye are already making plans where to put IKEA... :rolleyes:
    Would ye come back down to earth please? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Talkingclock only if we can buy a flat pack rocket ship :P

I hope it comes complete with all screws and a comprehensive manual! :D

ikea_assembly.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭star.chaser

chances are if the one in dublin goes weel, they'll want to open one up in the south, cork/limerick area

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Is Ikea actually good? It's swedish isn't it? usually all things swedish are deeaaaasscent/sweet!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement