Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jameson 12yo -v- 18yo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Jameson 12 yr old was the first "special" whiskey I bought since I liked Jameson and I liked Crested Ten and I have to say I was a bit dissapointed with it, that's what put me off getting the 18 or gold editions.

That's a hell of a collection Brockagh, no way I could have that amount of whiskey unopened, I've only got one that I haven't opened. A bushmills 18 year old rum casked limited edition bottled number 2 out of 189. The only reason I didn't open it was I thought the bottle number was cool. I got the sherry casked cousin of this one and it was massive but it's down to the last quarter bottle. At 56.5% the best whiskey I ever drank.

I have about 30 open bottles. That's enough to last me a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Has anyone tried the Jameson Gold Reserve? I'm thinking about getting a bottle next time I'm going through the airport.

It's a long time since I had it, but it used to be one of my favourites. I'm not sure if it has changed over the years, but I think it's well worth getting. It's about 45 euro in Europe, while it's 70 odd euro here...

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

The Gold reserve is a great whiskey - well worth the price - mind you I buy most of mine abroad as I just plain refuse to pay Irish taxes on whiskey !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its pretty sad that we can buy Irish produce abroad for much cheaper than we can at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭The_M

I was shocked to find that I can purchase a 750ml bottle of Bushmills in Maine for $21.90, cheaper than you can get it in Ireland! (and our taxes aren't so small either!)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Brockagh wrote: »
    I have about 30 open bottles. That's enough to last me a while.

Ah. I thought all the bottles you referred to were empties :P

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Jameson 12 for me is the best of the Jameson range purely from a taste value ration. The 18yo is lovely but not worth the money. The Rarest vintage is stellar and if you can get it from the US of £199 in the UK it is probably worth a punt for that back shelf once every often for that special occasion moment.

Jameson 15yo is also amazing but I think my very top IDL would have to be 15yo Redbreast. If people ever see it at a reasonable price grab it but going for over 100Euro now. Amazing stuff.

If your travelling by plane and going to the UK it is probably cheaper to get your Jameson on the way back. Just came back through Luton and got a Jameson gold for £30.99 (€36Euro) it is €75 here :eek:

Even more mind bloweng was the Midleton 2007 at £60.99 (Circa €69Euro) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Guys it's not the tax in this country that is making Whiskey so expensive it's the prices IDL charge full stop that are out outrageous :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I got a Bottle of Middleton in Abu Dhabi of all places for 50 euro, 120 here. Makes you wonder what they retail at.

€120 is the old price, it went up last year

€150 in most places now :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Nice Collection Brockagh...
    No Cooley brands though, not a fan?

On topic, i wouldn't know the difference tbh, i've drank both but never neat... :eek:

Yes, I am a fan, but I'm just not compelled to collect them. I do have a good few Cooley ones, though. Some of the Knappogues are Cooley, and I have the Tyrconnel Obama one and some Connemaras, along with a few Cadenhead bottllings of the Cooleys. Oh, and a Kilbeggan 15 and a Greenore 8 and 15.

I like them a lot, but the IDL stuff is traditional Irish whiskey. I like it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Hi all,

To say I'm a novice on whiskey would be an overstatement.

My boss is leaving the job today and he is a massive Jameson fan. Could anyone recommend a nice bottle for roughly €100?

Any idea where I could locate this today in South Dublin?

Anywhere around Dundrum, Tallaght, Templeouge...etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

O'Briens in the Beacon, Sandyford, Dublin 18

Would be your best bet but pop into Dunnes Stores across the way too as they may have a few offers on at the moment.

Jameson Gold is probably your best at around 75Euro (But if Dunnes have 10% off your looking better :D )

However what you could do is get him 2 bottles a Jameson 12yo (Circa 37Euro) & a Rebreast 12yo (Circa 45Euro) both fine whiskies and I reckon he'd be totally delighted with that. Redbreast is a pure pot still which is one of the constituents of Jameson. And do them up into a gift basket or something.

However if you can stretch to it Jameson 18yo is a step above but I think that is about 125Euro at this stage but again if you get 10% off at Dunnes :cool:. There is also an Irishman Rare Cask strength in a wooden box with certificate but dearer at around 125-135Euro but would really suit the occasion as it is much classier than the rest and Obriens may have it.

If you don't want to exceed 100 I'd personally prefer the Jameson 12yo + Redbreast but the Gold is lovely too.

If you can stretch to the Irishman Rare Cask strength it would probably something he has not tried before as it is a limited edition but in all fairness the 18yo is also great.

These are all great whiskies and in a similar style so chop and change to your own preference.

O'Briens in the Beacon, Sandyford, Dublin 18

Would be your best bet but pop into Dunnes Stores across the way too as they may have a few offers on at the moment.

Jameson Gold is probably your best at around 75Euro (But if Dunnes have 10% off your looking better :D )

However what you could do is get him 2 bottles a Jameson 12yo (Circa 37Euro) & a Rebreast 12yo (Circa 45Euro) both fine whiskies and I reckon he'd be totally delighted with that. Redbreast is a pure pot still which is one of the constituents of Jameson. And do them up into a gift basket or something.

However if you can stretch to it Jameson 18yo is a step above but I think that is about 125Euro at this stage but again if you get 10% off at Dunnes :cool:. There is also an Irishman Rare Cask strength in a wooden box with certificate but dearer at around 125-135Euro but would really suit the occasion as it is much classier than the rest and Obriens may have it.

If you don't want to exceed 100 I'd personally prefer the Jameson 12yo + Redbreast but the Gold is lovely too.

If you can stretch to the Irishman Rare Cask strength it would probably something he has not tried before as it is a limited edition but in all fairness the 18yo is also great.

These are all great whiskies and in a similar style so chop and change to your own preference.

Brilliant, thanks for such a quick response.

The budget can easily be stretched out for the Irishman Rare Cask Strength.

Can I be sure of getting this in O'Brien's, as I only have a window of about 45 minutes to go out and get it? If there is anywhere you know will definitely have it, I'd prefer to just make a beeline for it, than to be running around in a panic!

Again, many thanks for your help.

O'Briens is the only place in that general direction that would have it but give them a buzz (2931050) to make sure and they will have it ready for you when you arrive.

Alternatively and a bit of a jaunt into town is the Celtic Whiskey Shop who can be contacted at 675 9744 ... but they are on Dawson Street.

Just to let you know the IrishMan is 56% and considered a cask strength whiskey.

Picture here

Riche670 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My boss is leaving the job today and he is a massive Jameson fan. Could anyone recommend a nice bottle for roughly €100?

Molloys in Tallaght have an okay selection.

If you're near Ranelagh, Redmonds have the Redbreast 15 for 90 euro. Personally, that's what I'd buy.

Brockagh wrote: »
    Molloys in Tallaght have an okay selection.

If you're near Ranelagh, Redmonds have the Redbreast 15 for 90 euro. Personally, that's what I'd buy.

That is an excellent price and well worth a punt if you can get to them... did not realise they had it.

This is a sold out whiskey and currently there are no plans to remake it :-(

I'll make a few calls and see who has got what.

That's great guys, much appreciated. Got me out of a hole.

• Advertisement

JUST A QUICK UPDATE ...

The Irishman cask rare is probably going to have a nice impact with the packaging and is a lovely whiskey.

The redbreast 15yo probably would not have the same impact visually but has been considered by many of us Whiskey nuts and a some of the top Whiskey experts to be one of the Best Irish whiskies created in the last 10years.

The choice is yours

Let us know how you get on ...

Yeah, the Irishman cask strength looks more like a gift and is an excellent whiskey.

For drinking, I'd prefer the Redbreast 15, but you'd have to explain to him that it's rare!

If he likes Jameson, the Redbreast is more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

If you go to the Jameson whiskey corner in Bow street you can get a 'Jameson 12yo distillery Reserve' with his name on 'specially botle for XXXXX'
    For 55 euro. Luas smithfield stop is very close to it.
    Riche670 wrote: »
    Hi all,

If you go to the Jameson whiskey corner in Bow street you can get a 'Jameson 12yo distillery Reserve' with his name on 'specially botle for XXXXX'
    For 55 euro. Luas smithfield stop is very close to it.

Another good idea ... A Personalised bottle is a nice touch

Hi all,

Many thanks for the advice.

I went for the Jameson 18 year old, paid €125 for it in Molloys, Tallaght village.

He had sampled it before and loved it, so was delighted with a whole bottle for himself.

Thanks again for all the input. Much appreciated.

Good to hear ... always nice to know you got a present that they appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭quinnie123ie

Saruman wrote: »
    I have never had the 18 year old myself, just the 12 year old.
    That said, i would rather have their Redbreast 12 year old than the Jameson brand.

Redbreast 12yrs old all the way... smooth and delicious... cigar required!

Redbreast 12yrs old all the way... smooth and delicious... cigar required!

Redbreast is excellent. One of the best tastings I was ever at was when Barry Walsh brough along the cask-strength constituents of Redbreast. I think they should release a cask strength pure pot still, somewhere between 8 and 10 years old. If they did, of course, they'd charge the earth for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

I just recently bought the 12 Year Old Jameson and haven't opened the bottle yet.

I did however have a nice short of the stuff in a bar last night and I thought it was wonderful. I'm looking forward to tasting the 18 Year Old in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement