Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from ISDN to Broadband - should I be charged?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

I intend to move from my old reliable ISDN line to Broadband. I have been told by Eircom that I will have to pay them to change my line back to a standard line capable of taking broadband!

Is this true? I was not charged to get it upgraded to ISDN all those years ago!

Has anyone here been in a similar situation - what was the result?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

This is my understanding too. DSL runs on the bog standard normal line. To get ISDN you had to get a nice fancy digital line. So to get DSL you'll have to downgrade your line to a normal one.

I could understand being charged for it although I do wonder how much actual work is involved. Is it a brand new physical line they'll have to put in? Or just reactivate the old line which presumably they left the cabling in place for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

To be honest if you have been on ISDN all these years any amount of money they ask for it will be worth it :p

I couldn't see it costing any more than an regular broadband order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

An engineer visit is required to your house and to the exchange so there is a charge. He will/should setup your broadband in the house aswell while he's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

They will be using the existing line. I just think it's a bit cheeky of them looking for money to take it out when they installed it for free! It's not the amount that bothers me TBH.

The reason I have kept the ISDN for so long is that we only broadband recently and all Eircom offered was 1meg at 48:1. My next door neighbour has it and in the evenings it can be much slower than my ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

What speed is ISDN?I was born into the Dial up world :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭oisin

I went from ISDN to BB some years ago and wasn't charged, can't remember how long ago but it was a 1MB BB, all that was available then.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You'll be charged to return your line to a standard PSTN line, same thing used to happen to ISDN users using BT Home Highway in the UK who wanted to switch from ISDN to ADSL....in the end however BT offered the change over for free.

Don't hold your breath for Eircom to do the same though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Actually you would have to pay.

You pay for the engineer to come out to your house to remove your ISDN box. The engineer DOES NOT fit the BB because that would be a full tech install.

Its 29.99 self install and then 20 for the engineer to come out ASAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

Ricky91t wrote: »
    What speed is ISDN?I was born into the Dial up world :)

128k :rolleyes: It was great back in the day when 56k modems were the best you could get!

The one thing I like about it is that it is consistent both ways. I speed checked it against a neighbours 1Meg 48:1 connection and mine beat it on 2 downloads of 20MB and general surfing over an hour in the evening. His would hang and then load in short bursts. Obviously to many people sharing the connection!

Advertisement