Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockin' drummers appreciation thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a "rock" drummer but a rocking one alright, with a bit of "assistance"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

So yeah, the other thread there is spiraling off in this direction, so I'm starting a new one so we can discuss/appreciate all the fantastic drummers there are in Rock and Metal.

To start off, Neil Peart:

Mike Portnoy:

Fantastic! :pac:
    Indeed, very difficult to get any better.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

i find peart is boring - he is like thomas lang but without the amzing skill .
    dunno what the big deal is with him at all

portnoy not bad - nice solid rock drummer .

bonham , paice , far more entertaining ,

buddy rich kings them all .

though i do have a soft spot for steve smith

before he re-educated himself
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=1EdC03nNUPI

and after
    http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=VDoIyGIRmtg&feature=PlayList&p=761450F849033C5C&playnext=1&index=11

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vaRkUMYEyYw&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Damnit, Karl Angelwhore took the good ones! :(

I'll throw Gregg Bissonette into the mix for good measure!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Chaosangel

Im a fan of Raymond Herrera,Sean Reinhart and Dave Lombardo for obviosu reasons!
    Only gonna put up one video though,one of his best efforts I think

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=5JO4fLJwXXU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Come on lads COZY POWELL!!!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=AbmOXl03Dzg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

The Rev :pac:

Seriously though:

He's not the best drummer and the music may not appeal to most,but he's entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭subzero12

derek roddy played with Nile, Malevolent Creation

Mike Smith of suffocation

just two that come to mind at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Billy Cobham, all the best drummers are jazzy dudes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Some kick ass drummers there, I like Jaki Liebzeit from Can and his slowly building groove approach, here is Can's Halleluwah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Here's 3 I thought of straight away. Hopefully they haven't been mentioned yet...

Jojo Mayer

Raymond Herrera

Tomas Haake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mike65 wrote: »

While I wouldn't say there's a best, or that Jazzy dues are best, but Billy is just fantastic.
    malice_ wrote: »
    Tomas Haake

Haake is definitely brilliant.

What about Morgan Agren though? Probably wouldn't be long before this was posted:

Splendid stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

What about Morgan Agren though?
    He's pretty good on that video. I have to say I'm not familiar with any of his other work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

mike65 wrote: »

Isn't that the music from Massive Attack's Safe from Harm? I believe they sampled Cobhams music in that song.

On the heavier side of things, what do you think of Tony Laureano? I always thought his work with Nile was terrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Have to say my good pal from drumming ireland "dadumtish" and I always disagree on the who's who of drumming :) we're still pals tho ahaha...

for me Peart wipes the rest... boring?..not a chance - for me he's the direct opposite ..for me its the clinic guys and smoothie jazz guys that bore me to death,,,,their incredibly talented but just dont command live the way peart does and as Ive always said...I dont care how goood your solo is - show me what ya do IN the music,,,and Peart consistantly through the years blasts the rest away with amazing work in each song.......and actually the LATEST solo on the new Snakes and Arrows dvd has a far better solo than the one here......it just comes across far better for me :)

anyway ...thats my 2 cents worth theres many greats out there..but for me Peart just does more during songs than the rest :)

happy drumming amigos.///...Baggio....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

some great drummers already.

Here's 2 for the price of 1. The under valued drumming of Phil Collins, duetting with the masterful Chester Thompson

and another fine drummer, Bill Bruford

Carl Palmer ain't a bad drummer........

and the drum-meister, the legendary Buddy Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

for me it has to be mighty max weinberg or tico torres, two class sticksmen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,586 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Baggio wrote: »
    Peart wipes the rest...
    Agree 100%

George Kollias is probably the best extreme metal drummer ever too. No decent videos on youtube, save for a few crappy camera phone recordings. Heres an excerpt from is DVD instead:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Clem Burke is the best for the last 30 years. Even now he is better than anyone current and he's an oul fella. The natural heir to Moon (whom he idolised).

• Advertisement

The mighty Baggio is up there with the best.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

George Kollias is probably the best extreme metal drummer ever too. No decent videos on youtube, save for a few crappy camera phone recordings. Heres an excerpt from is DVD instead:

He's certainly insanely fast, but I don't know, I'm left a little cold. Maybe it's because I wasn't as thrilled with the Nile albums he played on, as I was with their previous ones, but I really liked what Tony Laureano did on Shrines.

Speaking of extreme metal though, one drummer I think never really gets that much recognition is Horgh from Immortal. I suppose a lot of people look at Immortal as a figure of fun, and just love to take the piss, but they still made some absolutely astonishing Metal, it was absolutely epic. Horgh's played a big part in that epic sound, there's a lot more melody to his drumming than many other extreme metal drummers, and I can hear a lot of influence from Neil Peart there as well. Here's the song Antarctica for example:

I mean, fantastic song and great drumming all the way through, I'd say definitely a bit of 2112 in there. But listen to the rhythms after 5:50, it just sounds huge! It's all in the rolls, and I think it just wouldn't have sounded anywhere near as epic if it was just straight ahead blasting. Sons of Northern Darkness is another great example, once it gets into the more melodic section after 1:45, the rhythms there are just fantastic. I think that's what really set Immortal apart from other bands of the like, the drumming was always way, way more interesting than just all out blasting all the time.

Hopefully we'll get a bit more discussion here than simply posting videos now. ;)

But yeah, I find with the extreme side of things, it can be easy to get lost in all out speed, and it can take away from the music as much as it can add to it. I always feel that when a drummer is playing blast beats, he's got to be doing something else that's interesting. And you know, some people hate the guy now, but I still rate Flo Mounier as a terrific metal drummer:

The sheer speed is there, but again, doing things that are a lot more nuanced and interesting than most. His cymbal work and rolls are great, and in that video right there, he does some really funky things. Right at 2:45 he does something that simply staggers me! I think he's a great example of how you can play at lightning fast speed, and still keep things different, varied and a whole lot more listenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

TBH a lot of vids on this thread bored me to death, they just didnt get me going. Outright speed but no power in some, meh. But fook me that Flo Mounier guy is mental. Speed, aggression and some random tempo changes that catch you completely off guard.

Personally I really enjoyed the drumming of Richard Christy with Death, one of my favourite performances overall, along with some of Igor Cavalera's stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

Ahh Galway rush :) such a great fan to say that about moi! ahhaha ah welll i'd say this year we'll be back down to ya's - RM2 and all for another rocking night in sally's :)

cheers amigo....Baggio...

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Ian Paice of Deep Purple... CLass act!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

Rick Allen - Def Leppard

Brian Downey - Thin Lizzy

Tommy Aldridge - Ozzy/Whitesnake/Pat Travers

Michael Lee (RIP) - Plant and Page

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Tommy Aldridge played with Lizzy this Christmas he is an old geezer now but he still still an unbelievable drummer! He's wearing a big curly wig when he's playing.. class drummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree.
    The drumming in Anesthetize is amazing, couldn't find a decent link tho

• Advertisement

Nea wrote: »
    Gavin Harrison from Porcupine Tree.
    The drumming in Anesthetize is amazing, couldn't find a decent link tho

And he can pull it off perfectly live. Amazing.:cool:

Advertisement