Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rockin' drummers appreciation thread.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

starflake wrote: »
    Tommy Aldridge played with Lizzy this Christmas he is an old geezer now but he still still an unbelievable drummer! He's wearing a big curly wig when he's playing.. class drummer!

Seen Tommy with Lizzy in Dec 2008. He played a rocking drum solo, threw the sticks into the crowd and continued to play another 10 min solo using his fists :eek:!!!

World class. Not sure about the wig, looked like a full mop head of hair to me :confused:!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Don't think anyones mentioned this guy yet....the awesome Dave Weckl.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

KevLeppard wrote: »
    Seen Tommy with Lizzy in Dec 2008. He played a rocking drum solo, threw the sticks into the crowd and continued to play another 10 min solo using his fists :eek:!!!

World class. Not sure about the wig, looked like a full mop head of hair to me :confused:!!

No man that was a wig! honestly it HAD to have been! Either way he was class.. unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

flyswatter wrote: »
    Don't think anyones mentioned this guy yet....the awesome Dave Weckl.

Aye, he's absolutely terrific. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sean kinney
    dave grohl
    taylor hawkins

to name but a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

galwayrush wrote: »
    And he can pull it off perfectly live. Amazing.:cool:
    Too true
    Galwayrush ,my hero for getting me tickets for PT:)

Martin Lopez needs a mention too.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

sean kinney
    dave grohl
    taylor hawkins

to name but a few.

I think Dave Grohl is a very average drummer... just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

My holy trinity....not saying they're the best ever as in my eyes theres no such thing. These boyos just do it for me.

BILL WARD

KEITH MOON

JOHN HENRY BONHAM

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I think Brian Downey is a great drummer altogether, brilliant stuff. And what about Gene Hoglan, I'm mostly going on his Dark Angel stuff which is deadly. Love the intro to A Subtle Induction off Time does not Heal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Flo Mounier anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Learn to youtube guys.

If you want to embed a video, you need to put the video code between the tags. Not the full url. So lets say your url is http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=z7UQh9_V2ys you only put the code at the end between youtube tags. Like so:

[youtube]z7UQh9_V2ys[/youtube]

Which becomes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

For a guy whos in his 40's, Dave Lombardo can still play all of what he recorded 20+ years ago. Now if only Lars Ulrich could do the same.

Here's a vid of one of my fav's; Thomas Lang

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Course, speaking of jazz drummers hiding in rock bands...

Charlie's good tonight, inneeee....

there's something almost hypnotic about the crisp, cool, efficiency of how he just nails down the riff...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Travis orbin from the little known perophery is an animal behind the kit. I love the style of drumming on the peripherys music, whoever writes it id like to see the majority of drummers play it. Crazy metres and polyrythms.

Another lesser known guy, jason bowld. Fantastic player all around. Speed, rythm, great rolls and a nice style that isnt obnoxiously flamboyant either.

Surprised travis barker hasnt been mentioned yet. Even if like me you hate blink 182, hes a fantastic drummer.

Gotta also give props to andols herrick, his style of playing is just so fluid, some extremly technical stuff without overpowering the rest of the music.

Honorable mention aswell to paul bostaph. A great underrated drummer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Jason Bowld. I've heard of him. He does one of the lessons for RYTHYM magazine, or Drummer magazine. He's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Hard to get any Vids of him but my long time hero and much missed Opeth drummer
    Martin Lopez

HB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=JCm68MCvm9M&feature=channel_page

Nod Wright, one of the very best drummers in goth rock.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=MtSmzCkpqf4

Excellent song from a class album. Jocke Pettersson is one of the very best drummers in metal, along with Hellhammer, Horgh etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Sean Reinert.
    Couldnt find a decent quality solo so this class tune may do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

I just used this video in another "who's the best drummer" thread. It's not even his best stuff but it's all there is on him other than Deliverance's outro beat. When Lopez and Lindgren left that was the end of Opeth for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Allen Blickle from Baroness is a great drummer imo.

Then you have the usuals like Brann Dailer, Neil Peart, Nicko McBrain, Philip Selway and John Bonham.

Advertisement