Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about Dublin getting defaced with JCDeceaux's Signs?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

How do you feel about Dublin getting defaced with JCDeceaux's Signs?

They are springing up everywhere, this is unbelievable.

Bord Pleanala / Dublin City Council are so strict about the "average Joe" building an a small extension to his house but when it comes to signs being put up by an multinational company,here, there and everywhere. They seem fine with it.

I wonder how much was the bribe?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

dublin is great but where are all the chinese people at night ..i want to meet them for new years celebrations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

jetsonx wrote: »

I wonder how much was the bribe?

Details of the contract value are secret, same as the parking contracts awarded by CIE to Nationwide Controlled Parking Systems. With all our political history of out and out corruption I believe all contracts should be fully open and disclosed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

People need to lodge objections. There is no point giving out about them once they go up.
    I appealed the decision by Dublin City Council to allow two of them (and won) but at €220 euro a pop I couldn't do the whole lot of them.
    Any of the big ones that were objected to (and appealed) were stopped.

They tried to slip in an application just before Christmas to get two on Newcomen bridge - one of the sites that permission was refused for. Luckily there was a technical problem with their application but they are obviously determined to get one or two there. Be vigilant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

IIRC they pay no rent on these signs, DCC get a few ads for free and JCDeaux are to provide a rent a bicycle system,like in a lot of mainland European cities...except there is no sign of it yet and they are only required to provide a small amount of bikes.Makes my blood boil when I see one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Hey come on, we got a load of free bikes and all the public toilets are open again. Fair trade. Oh wait... DCC messed up again. Surely not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jerimiah

I saw a couple of them that were definately a danger to road users, obstructing views, blocking traffic lights, blocking signs etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

emty wrote: »
    to provide a rent a bicycle system,like in a lot of mainland European cities...except there is no sign of it yet and they are only required to provide a small amount of bikes.Makes my blood boil when I see one of them.

yes, this is how I feel. I cannot believe there is not more protest about these horrible signs...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Eye-sores and well as seen before they're dangerous as they block drivers views from certain junctions and traffic lights.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jerimiah wrote: »
    I saw a couple of them that were definately a danger to road users, obstructing views, blocking traffic lights, blocking signs etc..

Write to DCC and the RSA and express your concern. Some of them have already been removed due to a safety concern, which was one of the main reasons the ones that were refused planning permission were refused.

How anyone can think that a structure intended to attract the eye and display an advert is not a distraction to drivers is really beyond me, but that's how it is in DCC.

• Advertisement
Advertisement