Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of Vodafone - help!

Options
  • 24-01-2009 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I need advice on leaving Vodafone.

I'm feeling completely ripped off...been a customer since I got a phone about 9 years ago and longevity stands for very little apparantly....

I switched back to a personal account in October (my previous workplace paid my bills for a year). I finished my previous job in July, faxed the documents to Vodafone but the switch only went through in October for some reason.

When I dropped my phone the other day, I was told I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Fair enough - but then I was told I wouldn't be eligible for another 3 years! When I queried this with the 'customer support' agent on the phone, she was extremely rude and told me "that's how the system works". When I asked to speak to her manager, she came back in a number of seconds - saying I'm immediately eligible for an upgrade.

That's fine. But I've just discovered availing of an upgrade constitutes signing another contract with Vodafone for a year - and I can only avail of the upgrade if I change to a much more expensive price plan!

I'm now sick of being ripped off and not being spoken to with any courtesy - so I want to change network provider.

As my latest contract only started in October, is there any way I can switch without penalties etc.???

Help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Ring them and tell them you are going to O2, 3 or Meteor, then if there's no satisfaction move, you keep the same number.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ariadne wrote: »
    Hi,

I need advice on leaving Vodafone.

I'm feeling completely ripped off...been a customer since I got a phone about 9 years ago and longevity stands for very little apparantly....

I switched back to a personal account in October (my previous workplace paid my bills for a year). I finished my previous job in July, faxed the documents to Vodafone but the switch only went through in October for some reason.

When I dropped my phone the other day, I was told I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Fair enough - but then I was told I wouldn't be eligible for another 3 years! When I queried this with the 'customer support' agent on the phone, she was extremely rude and told me "that's how the system works". When I asked to speak to her manager, she came back in a number of seconds - saying I'm immediately eligible for an upgrade.

That's fine. But I've just discovered availing of an upgrade constitutes signing another contract with Vodafone for a year - and I can only avail of the upgrade if I change to a much more expensive price plan!

I'm now sick of being ripped off and not being spoken to with any courtesy - so I want to change network provider.

As my latest contract only started in October, is there any way I can switch without penalties etc.???

Help!!

I'm afraid not. You will have to pay the remaining of the line rental for the term of your contract if you jump to another provider.

I would just buy a pay as you go handset and jump ship in 8 months, tbh.

One thing I would say- phones cost money! Every time a phone company authorises an upgrade, they lose a certain amount on the cost price of the phone. When you break a phone, someone has to pay for the new phone, and if the spend is not high enough on your account ( which it would be if you only moved in October) then you will actually be costing Voda money for them to give you a new phone.

In this case, it's pretty ridiculous what the CC assistant said- but remember, you're not actually "entitled" to a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

An upgrade starts a new contract on every network in the world btw

What makes you think the new tariffs are more expensive? If you're on a 9 year old tariff the new ones would be cheaper surely? They used to be a rip off

Advertisement