Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling clubs in north/central dublin

Options
  • 24-01-2009 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi guys am trying to go from leisure/commuter cycling to a bit more competitive form. hoping to join club somewhere in the vicinity of clontarf dublin 3..... anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i'm living in clontarf, nearest club to me is the dublin wheelers, i joined them a while back now. anybody interested is always welcome for a spin.

we leave from santry, just at the gates to santry park/demense every saturday morning at 9.30. takes me 15min to cycle over from Harry Byrnes on the Howth Rd.

where in clontarf are you? cos i could meet ya next sat and we could spin up... if ya wanted of course.

btw... the website is www.dublinwheelers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Swords is another one. I joined 'em a few months ago. Their meet-ups wouldn't be as convenient for you though. I'm yet to go on one myself.
    www.swordscc.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Raam wrote: »
    Swords is another one. I joined 'em a few months ago. Their meet-ups wouldn't be as convenient for you though. I'm yet to go on one myself.
    www.swordscc.com

Welcome to Swords RAAM (I'm the fat bloke on a ridley :o ).

The half eight spin from Blakes cross on sat morning is a good one. I know at least one guy cycles out from Rahney direction. Quite a few drive up and park around Blakes cross. There are a variety leaving from the Lord Mayors pub in Swords on sat and Sun morings as well as a thursday spin (with a coffee stop).

The club league on wednesdays (starts April) is a great way to get into racing , usually 6-7 groups set off as a handicap so you'll find your level quickly.

Dublin Wheelers are a great club as well.
    Finglas Ravens may suit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

robfowl, i go quite a bit to the thursday spins with jimmy + sean. great spin.

thought of swords myself, but santry meet with dwcc is way handy. plus most wheelers are welcome to the swords league races!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

RobFowl wrote: »
    Welcome to Swords RAAM (I'm the fat bloke on a ridley :o ).

The half eight spin from Blakes cross on sat morning is a good one. I know at least one guy cycles out from Rahney direction. Quite a few drive up and park around Blakes cross. There are a variety leaving from the Lord Mayors pub in Swords on sat and Sun morings as well as a thursday spin (with a coffee stop).

The club league on wednesdays (starts April) is a great way to get into racing , usually 6-7 groups set off as a handicap so you'll find your level quickly.

Dublin Wheelers are a great club as well.
    Finglas Ravens may suit too.

Thanks RobFowl :) I really need to go out on some of the spins and get to know the guys as I don't know any one in the club yet. LDB has been out on a few as she also joined at the same time as me.
    I saw quite a few Swords guys today on my way home from Lusk actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 kennethbolger

hey ba, cheers for that info. am working this sat but if you are going the folowing sat let me know. if you want give me a txt on 0879713374 and we'll arrange to meet etc.
    cheers ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

Hi guys, are these cycle clubs generally mixed or male only? I am female, living in north Dublin (near Clontarf) and would like to get out for for Saturday spins...if you know of any mixed or women-only clubs any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

just wondering are there fees involved in joining these clubs? What are the benefits of joining a club for the average (non racing/competitive) cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

fionnmar wrote: »
    Hi guys, are these cycle clubs generally mixed or male only? I am female, living in north Dublin (near Clontarf) and would like to get out for for Saturday spins...if you know of any mixed or women-only clubs any help appreciated!

Swords CC is mixed and ladies are welcome in all the spins.
    setanta159 wrote:
    just wondering are there fees involved in joining these clubs? What are the benefits of joining a club for the average (non racing/competitive) cyclist?

Yes there are Club Fees and each club will have their own €€€. Benefits are many of joining a club and not all clubs are all about the racing. Meet like minded cyclists, cycle in a group, find out new routes, go on organised tours/sportives to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Any groups around Templeogue Walkinstown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭paddylast

any clubs around Dublin 15/phoenix park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 bjc_dublin

@paddylast.... It surprises me that there is no cycling club operating out of the Pheonix Park... It covers so many areas including the city centre! I don't know if it'd be possible to set up some sort of cycling group out of the park to cover D1/2/7/15/8 which are all within a few kilometers of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

bjc_dublin wrote: »
    @paddylast.... It surprises me that there is no cycling club operating out of the Pheonix Park... It covers so many areas including the city centre! I don't know if it'd be possible to set up some sort of cycling group out of the park to cover D1/2/7/15/8 which are all within a few kilometers of the park.
    Interestingly a new club started called Park CC or Park Wheelers something like that. I believe they've only just formed, saw their nice black gear at one of the Swords CC club league races a few weeks back. Post a thread entitled phoenix park cc and see what info you can get. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Interestingly a new club started called Park CC or Park Wheelers something like that. I believe they've only just formed, saw their nice black gear at one of the Swords CC club league races a few weeks back. Post a thread entitled phoenix park cc and see what info you can get. Good luck.

I'd be very interested in this club. Has anyone got any contact details for them?

Here they are:

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home/Club-List/Club-Details.aspx?Id=55317

Advertisement