Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Post merged....see below.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I am just about to purchase the following pieces and wondering what people think, it basically for video encoding and streaming.

NVIDIA nForce® 630i MCP
    Intel Core Duo 2.8Mhz E7400
    2 GB DDR2 667-800 MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce® 7100
    HDMI/DVI Out are on board
    500 GB Sata 7200
    LG BlueRay RW

I haven't choosen a PSU yet and the on board sound seems fine for what I need. Also, not sure about Vista, XP or even a *nix distro. I know there may be some issues with XP and HD playback.

I know this isn't isn't exactly top of the range kit but is there any reason this might not do what I need?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Video encoding is CPU heavy, the e7400 will be a bottleneck depending on what you're encoding. For a streaming/HTPC machine, it's fine, but don't expect to finish encoding home movies in realtime. DDR2 is dirt cheap, get 4 gigs. The integrated graphics are a waste of time, get a cheap Radeon 4650 and it'll do your HD decoding and HD audio over HDMI too. The only integrated graphics that are worthwhile are on AMD motherboards, but then you'll get significantly worse encoding performance out of the Phenom/Athlon processors- catch 22.

Advertisement