Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do I eat after my evening exercise?

• 24-01-2009 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

It can be somewhere between 8.30pm and 10.30pm by the time I come back from the gym. I'm often hungry after exercise so I do usually have something to eat. I was just wondering what is best to eat at that time after exercise bearing in mind I am trying to burn fat.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

The classic post exercise meal is protein and fairly simple carbs. After lifting weights, a lot of people with make a shake with whey protein and milk or juice or some other carb. If you'd rather eat a solid meal, then something like chicken breast and rice would be a good idea. In this meal, try to keep fat low and concentrate on getting in protein and carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Ok, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Whey protein and some fruit is always good. Also, if you are lifting weights, try to take a casein protein as this is a slow release protein before bed. Try not to have a big meal before going to bed. I read somewhere that anything which isn't digested before you go to bed gets stored as fat. This is how sumo wrestlers get big. They stuff their face and then sleep. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Try not to have a big meal before going to bed. I read somewhere that anything which isn't digested before you go to bed gets stored as fat. This is how sumo wrestlers get big. They stuff their face and then sleep. :D

Not always true. Certainly mindless munching in front of the tv will pile on the pounds, but a planned meal, if it's within your calorie limits, will not make you fat. I've always wondered how the people who insist on eating very three hours so as not to risk losing muscle, can turn round and say you can't eat in the evening, no matter how hungry you are.

Advertisement