Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raheny Cable TV

• 24-01-2009 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

I've just moved into an apartment in Raheny, built approx 3 years ago. The landlord said that cable tv was included in the rent and I assumed that it'd be ntl as this is an ntl area. When I plug my tv into the wallpoint I get the four Irish channels, the four BBCs, UTV/ITV2, Ch4/Film 4, Five, Sky News, CNN, Eurosport International, True Movies and Classic FM. Anyone know what cable company this is?

I called UPC about getting digital tv installed, however when the technician came out here he said that there was no ntl signal in the building. While I am happy to get the channels we have I do miss Setanta and the better half wants Living, so I'd like to find out which company we have and if they offer digital.

Many thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Sounds like broadworks mate

http://www.broadworks.tv/

You might be snookered getting UPC/SKY as a lot of appartment blocks have this installed and you can't opt out - check with your landlord and I'm sure he will help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sounds like broadworks mate

http://www.broadworks.tv/

You might be snookered getting UPC/SKY as a lot of appartment blocks have this installed and you can't opt out - check with your landlord and I'm sure he will help

Might not be, the OP said thye missed Living, and broadworks included it as standard. might be homevision, that is available in Raheny as well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I've been doing a bit of digging and found this line on wikipedia's entry for wikipedia:

"A special form of community organisation is the Maywood Avondale Bettyglen TV Association (MABTVA), which provides a local TV cable service (most of Dublin is served by one of two large TV cable systems), using its own receiving station."

I reckon it might be this, as all the other companies Broadworks/Homevision/Sky Conway etc. all seem to include at least one pay channel in their basic package, whereas we get none of those here. I can't find a web presence for the community TV so I guess there is no chance of an upgrade to digital. How long until Boxer gets going?

Im in raheny myself, and i know one of the macaris(chipper) sons.

And he was telling me how around that area Avondale ect that the community around there all chip in (no pun intended) to receive a certain amount of channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭20/20

I live in Raheny and i have only noticed your post,this is a community system you are on and we only pay 50euro a year so nobody complains about lack of channels.Its area froms a triangle from St Annes Park along one side of the Howth Rd to Blackbanks and back along the coast to the park.For those of you who know the Mvision combo satellite receiver (it has dtt built-in) when i put a feed off this cabel system into the receiver i get 100% signal quality for dtt,which saves me puting up an ariel.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think Setanta offer online streaming, sounds like you have a good deal going, why not just get their online offerings if it's just their channels that you're missing, I've used it in the past (well free eircom offerings) to watch some rugby matches and it is very watchable

20/20 wrote: »
    For those of you who know the Mvision combo satellite receiver (it has dtt built-in) when i put a feed off this cabel system into the receiver i get 100% signal quality for dtt,which saves me puting up an ariel.

Hey, sorry to revive this old thread, I was just curious about your statement above. Are you saying that you can receive the DTT tests just using the signal from the cable tv in Raheny? I have been playing around with a USB tv stick today (AVerTV Hybrid Volar HX), and spent ages just trying to get all the analogue channels to work on it. I remembered your post so I did a scan for DTT but found nothing. Is the signal still there on the Raheny system, or is it just my tv card that can't find it? Cheers.

If your tv has an mpeg4 tuner you can get the dtt reception on the Raheny system.I have two sony televisions one has mepg2 and i can only get sound no picture but 95% signal quality,the other tv has mpeg4 and can get the dtt,the quality is fantastic.The point I was trying to make about the Raheny system was that there is no need to put up an aerial or use rabbits ears to get the dtt,just using the piped coming into your home gives excellent signal quality.

I also meant to say two weeks ago i bought a DM8000 satellite receiver,and i put a terrestrial tuner into it and did a scan,it also picked up the Irish dtt.

Must be a problem on my side so, did a scan on the USB card and there's no DTT. Some fun nights ahead trying to get this to work so...

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 scazi

Hi there,

Ive recently moved into apts in raheny and I recieve MABTV, it is however, very poor quality and im wondering if anybody can help me sort this out???

SCAZI two members of the committee work on the system at weekends,i think in their spare time,and if you give a committee member a ring they will sort out any problems,usually on Saturdays.At least that was the case for me.Normally when i had poor reception they would sort it out within the week and say the problem was caused by builders (maybe building Apts) mistakenly choping the cable and repairing it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Anybody know what the broadband options are in the Bettyglen complex now? I see UPC offer digital tv but don't seem to supply broadband which seems unusual

Peadar 85 Iam also in Raheny not far from Bettyglen complex,are you sure its UPC and not the local community system?
    Iam on the local system and UPC will not provide anything,they have no cables on the homes.
    I get my broadband from Imagine WiMax with an outdoor unit giving me about 9/10Mb.Its the best I can get in the area.The Eircom line is useless only providing about 2/3Mb they claim Raheny is to far from the exchange.At least that was their claim two years ago and i dont think things are any better now because I see more of my neighbours now getting WiMax.

20/20 wrote: »
    Peadar 85 Iam also in Raheny not far from Bettyglen complex,are you sure its UPC and not the local community system?
    Iam on the local system and UPC will not provide anything,they have no cables on the homes.
    I get my broadband from Imagine WiMax with an outdoor unit giving me about 9/10Mb.Its the best I can get in the area.The Eircom line is useless only providing about 2/3Mb they claim Raheny is to far from the exchange.At least that was their claim two years ago and i dont think things are any better now because I see more of my neighbours now getting WiMax.

Hi 20/20, I have been reading about the online community system that residents have going here but have never heard of such a system before. I was checking the available services for this address on the UPC website as I would be looking to go with them for Broadband - it says that Digital TV is available but not Broadband. :mad:

Quality broadband would be more important to me than tv so I presume the local system would be fine for me. How do you find the WiMax product? On paper it seems light years behind UPC whose basic package has a download speed of 50 mb but in reality is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

It seems as if you can get UPC then you won't be able to get local TV. As far as I know no houses have access to both systems.

Wimax and Eircom landlines are inferior to UPCs 120Mb system, but it seems as if you have no option. Ask in the broadband section, there are other options to those three.

I don't really know anything about this local tv system which people have mentioned on the thread but if it's decent then it'd be pointless paying for a UPC subscription. I was merely checking to see if UPC broadband was available in the area and it isn't but according to there website tv is. I'd have thought if they dropped the cables for tv they could have done the same for broadband but I'm not expert on the topic.

I will indeed try the Broadband section but would be curious to know of other residents experience with using WiMax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    I'd have thought if they dropped the cables for tv they could have done the same for broadband

No "fibre powered" cable broadband, uses the same cable, but they break it every few hundred houses and attach a fibre optic cable and equipment. All houses on that section of cable then "share" the one internet connection. The more houses, the slower the internet at peak times, but generally with UPC it's not a big problem.

They also generally re-cable everywhere as cable over 20 years old is unreliable, especially when people expect phone services, over broadband, to work reliably.

Large parts of UPCs system do not offer broadband and may never if they think it's not worth their while, made worse by local systems at budget prices in the area making takeup lower.

Cheers for the update - ya learn something new every day ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Please, enough with the zombie threads.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement