Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil/Solid Fuel combination plumbers opinion

Options
  • 24-01-2009 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi
    I am restoring an old cottage and have had a plumber in to pipe out all the rads. 9 all together and 2 towel rails. I'm connecting them all to an underfloor heating manifold as I want separate temp control in each room. I have an existing oil burner which I want to reuse but I also want to put in a boiler stove and solar panels. My aim is to only use the oil burner to bring the water up to temperature in the summer as the stove will most likely be lit all winter.

Now the plumber I've had in is a friend of mine and to be honest I'm starting to doubt his ability. He has run 2 3/4" pipes under the floor for the boiler stove but talking to other plumbers I'm led to believe that they should have been 1" pipes and one of them should be going up the wall and through the attic back to the hotpress. The pipe going up the wall is not a problem but I'm wondering if I could use both 3/4" pipes as the other one as floors have now been put down and I don't want to rip them up. Not too sure which is the flow or return as well.

I'm a sparks and have a lot of experience wiring heating systems and a fair understanding of how they work so I'm going to finish the job myself. However I would like a diagram to work to. Any plumbers out there who can be of help.

Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Read this about linking systems: http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/pdfs/link_up.pdf
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭knx

Thanks Jim.

What do you think about using the two 3/4" pipes in parallell instead of having to rip up the floor again. Also do I need to get a particular kind of tank for the solar panels. I won't be putting these in straight away but when I do I want to be able to just connect up. I know I need a dual coil but will any dual coil do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

knx wrote: »
    Thanks Jim.

What do you think about using the two 3/4" pipes in parallell instead of having to rip up the floor again. Also do I need to get a particular kind of tank for the solar panels. I won't be putting these in straight away but when I do I want to be able to just connect up. I know I need a dual coil but will any dual coil do.

First of all, I am not a plumber. I think that the 3/4" copper pipes will be fine for the flow and return from the stove to the rest of the system, but maybe you should use 1" for the pipes going up to the cylinder, and on up to the attic. These pipes should be as close to the stove as possible.
    Jim.

Advertisement