Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'H' Pronunciation

• 24-01-2009 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

It is ironic that the actual letter itself is pronounced and spelt ‘aitch’ in British English, or occasionally ‘eitch’. However, in Hiberno-English (and certain Catholic schools) it is h-added to produce ‘haitch’.

In British English the ‘h’ is pronounced at the beginning of words with exceptions such as ‘heir, honest, honour and hour’.

H-dropping, (the omission of the ‘h’ at the beginning of all h-words where it should be pronounced), has been around for a long time in Cockney English, but generally frowned upon by the upper classes. It has also been given currency in Estuary English.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H#cite_note-0

I found an amusing reference to the h-dropping, in the Chamber’s Twentieth Century Dictionary (1901), in the definition of the term ‘Arry’.

Arry: a jovial, vulgar fellow who drops his h’s (from the vulgar Cockney pronunciation of the name, Harry).’ :D

I have to say that I really take exception to the use of ‘an’ instead of ‘a’ in ‘an historic occasion’, and ‘an hotel’. After all they are not pronounced ‘istoric’ or ‘otel’, in proper English.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Joe Duffy thinks we are all "uumans"

Cork people don't know "waat" the time is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Joe Duffy thinks we are all "uumans"

Cork people don't know "waat" the time is

Dublin people don't know "wha" time it is

"Haitch" is American pronounciation as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What's that about :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Don't know. Sounds ominous :eek:! Thailand I presume. No 'H' pronounced.

What about 'Thames', correctly pronounced 'Temz' :)?

Here's a short clip of a beautiful song that is somewhat ruined by the incorrect use of the 'th'. I like the accent, though :cool:!

http://soundcrank.com/song.aspx?songid=1447741

• Advertisement
Advertisement