Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access by landlord?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

We have been waiting for months for the landlord to fulfil an urgent promise to fix the fence around the garden here. He leases the fields around the cottage to a farmer and the fences are in places non existent . Livestock wandering in....

He finally said he would come today; as we told him, that was not convenient for us for many reasons; we keep the gate locked also.

Also as he knew, we have replanted with native trees so access to the garden is not possible.

He said then that he would do the work from the field side so none of this mattered of course.

He nonetheless arrived; as the gate was of course locked, he literally broke in by managing to wriggle the chain off; when we found him he and his mate were in the garden.
    Most of the tiny new trees are destroyed; heartbreaking.

His atttitude has always been that as long as he is not in the house per se he is not accessing the let.

We value our privacy; which is why we keep the gate locked.

I checked the tenancy act; and sure enough it says re garden etc.

We have emailed the agent; we need some assurance that this will not continue to happen; but what can anyone do?

Soon after we moved in,we came home to find the front door and inner doors wide open; he admitted then that the previous tenant still had a key.

It is very unsettling as we know there have been other incursions when we are out.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I think you are entitled to change the locks at your own expense, provided you give the landlord a key.

Should stop issues with previous tenants.

Other than that, I think you may just have to contact the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Thank you for this.

He did finally change the lock and gave us all keys.

We have registered a complaint with the letting agent and are making sure that the gate cannot be thus invaded any more.

I was ill in bed and when I heard the noise I almost called the gardai
    This is in a remote area.
    Silverfish wrote: »
    I think you are entitled to change the locks at your own expense, provided you give the landlord a key.

Should stop issues with previous tenants.

Other than that, I think you may just have to contact the PRTB.

Advertisement