Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading. Is it going to be allowed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Here's something to whet the appetite until reloading becomes a clearer issue for us all.

Good prices for good ammunition

If anyone's interested in cheap match-grade centrefire stuff, there's your new friend. Anyone who goes ahead with a purchase, please do let us all know how it went and costs and paperwork involved.

My 6BR vision may not be out of the question at about 60cent a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A point from yesterday's FCP Seminar:
    Reloading was asked about, whether the Misc bill would cope with it. JG replied that Section 40 of the CJA2006 (that's the bit that puts in section 10A in the firearms act, allowing reloading) won't in fact be implemented, it will actually be revoked and reloading will be handled under a rewrite of the Explosives Act, probably in April or May. This raised an eyebrow, prompting the point that propellant is not an explosive. JG pointed out that he's not just the Firearms Range Inspector, but also the government inspector of explosives, and that propellant is defined legally as an explosive even though it technically isn't one (this is like the definition of "assault rifle" in the restricted list not being our definition of one). He said that as it was legally an explosive, it had to be looked after in the explosives act, which is being rewritten and will hopefully be out later this year.

John also said that submissions on reloading had been sought since last year, and so far only one had been sent in. He made the point that it's not too late, they'll accept submissions from anyone. Again, speaking personally, guys, what the ****? How can everyone be complaining about the stupid rules on reloading, but only one person actually sent anything in? Gah!

Sparks wrote: »

I read that Sparks, great to hear some clarity on it from above. Just thought I'd throw the link out for anyone looking for quality ammo they can't get at the moment. In particular, the guys shooting .223's with tight rates of twist might be interested in well loaded heavy rounds for 50cent each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Here's something to whet the appetite until reloading becomes a clearer issue for us all.

Good prices for good ammunition

If anyone's interested in cheap match-grade centrefire stuff, there's your new friend. Anyone who goes ahead with a purchase, please do let us all know how it went and costs and paperwork involved.

My 6BR vision may not be out of the question at about 60cent a round.

Shop around,good detective work.It wasn't me hobbs.thumb1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Intershoot (http://www.intershoot.co.uk/) will be supplying HPS ammo in NI. If you have a PSNI licence that might be the most convenient way to get it. Prices will be dependent on demand, so let him know if you're interested.

• Advertisement

Sandy22 wrote: »
    Demonloop will be supplying HPS ammo in NI. If you have a PSNI licence that might be the most convenient way to get it. Prices will be dependent on demand, so let him know if you're interested.

I'm applying for a visitor's permit. Should I try get a full northern licence then? It'll be a few years before I get the rifle, but if Ryan's stocking it, that'd be brilliant. I've always found him brilliant to deal with so far, so would be glad to do business with him.

Sparks wrote: »

John also said that submissions on reloading had been sought since last year, and so far only one had been sent in. He made the point that it's not too late, they'll accept submissions from anyone. Again, speaking personally, guys, what the ****? How can everyone be complaining about the stupid rules on reloading, but only one person actually sent anything in? Gah!

Since when exactly? Do you mean since 31st Dec 2008, or since the 2008 DoJ Conference? Or since the year of the Rat?

How were they sought?

What cogniscance has been taken of the submissions sent in before the 2008 Conference?

And while I'm at it, do you think Mr Guinane has a proper, unbiased understanding of the reloading isssue?

I'm thinking nobody does to be honest Sandy (ie. not shooters, not DoJ). As to 'since when', the date he mentioned was last year's FCP conference, where there'd been a long exchange on the topic during one of the workshops (Traumadoc and a few others should remember this). The submissions sent in before the conference were on the table (though any submission sent in after would have the advantage of being able to directly address their stated concerns); but if you remember at the time there was a lot of concern that some portions of the community weren't being represented at the FCP so submissions were welcomed from any source.

Apparently, we want this so much that a sum total of one person wrote in with a submission to the FCP. I suppose I should be suprised, but last time we heard how many had complained about something that ticked us all off, it was over the prime time show, and that got all of seven people to complain, despite everyone jumping up and down and saying how appalling and unacceptable it was. So it seems we've given ourselves a reputation for moaning and bitching about things we don't like, but then shutting up and accepting whatever it was; only once have we actually all gotten up and actually complained (at which point the fee hike was overturned).

Just saying, you understand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

While not something I have much intrest in doing , I may know someone who would like to reload .. but as they are not on boards may not be aware of the above .

How would one go about making a submission to the FCP on reloading and does it have to take any particlare format

or is it a case of a simple letter along to lines of ( with more detail of course )

hi there ,
    I would like to relaod for the following reasons .
    my security set up would ABC

Etc etc ..

Darr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Darr wrote: »
    While not something I have much intrest in doing , I may know someone who would like to reload .. but as they are not on boards may not be aware of the above .

How would one go about making a submission to the FCP on reloading and does it have to take any particlare format

or is it a case of a simple letter along to lines of ( with more detail of course )

hi there ,
    I would like to relaod for the following reasons .
    my security set up would ABC

Etc etc ..

Darr

I have posted this very question here

Not much luck there either though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Darr

No Im not saying the is the case but like I said Im not in to reloading so havent researched it much ...

but could this be a factor in why there was only 1 submission ..

does anyone know how you put in a submission in the first place :)

Darr

I emailed John Guinane for some clarification on that, I'll post as soon as I know.

That was fast.

John clarified that what he meant at the seminar was that the DoJ had received only one "substantial" submission. Legally, reloading is complicated by propellant being classified as an explosive (even through in reality it isn't), which drags in the Explosives Act (which is now being redrafted in its entirety). (As an aside, that came up in the seminar as well - John's not saying propellant is an explosive, just that that's what the law defines it as and he has to work within that framework.) He confirmed that they have received other representations on the subject, both through TD's and from individuals, but without any substantial detail that they could use while re-drafting the Explosives Legislation.

In his own words:
    Any submissions, in whatever form, will be considered in the re-drafting process.

Submissions should be sent directly to:

Crime 4,
    Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform,
    92-94 St Stephen's Green,
    Dublin 2,
    Ireland

I'm applying for a visitor's permit. Should I try get a full northern licence then?

I doubt you'd get one, unless you have a legitimate address up there. All you need to do is ensure you get an adequate allowance on the visitor's permit. How much are you thinking of buying at a time?

Sandy22 wrote: »
    I doubt you'd get one, unless you have a legitimate address up there. All you need to do is ensure you get an adequate allowance on the visitor's permit. How much are you thinking of buying at a time?

I do actually, for what that's worth. My family lives between Wicklow and Newry at the moment, so that might be possible.

I was of the impression that it wasn't possible to buy ammo with a visitor's pass, is that the case? I'd probably buy by the few hundred or the thousand, allowances on the licences depending. Might as well try get a year's supply at a time and save trips.

Advertisement