Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the "big four" be the top 4 this year?

• 24-01-2009 9:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Simple enough Vote/discussion to see who thinks one of Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea or less likely imo Man Utd dont get in one of the top 4 positions at the end of the year.

the top four isnt the "big 4" now, Villa have gatecrashed it already but can they hold on? or maybe someone elsse could cause a surprise, afterall Everton are still keeping pace despite having no forwards fit for ages.

Will "the big 4" be the top four this year? 80 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 80 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Villa haven't gatecrashed ****e. They've been extremely lucky with decisions (penalty decisions) this season and have had no serious injury problems. And yet they are just about keeping up with 4th or 5th place. They don't have serious money it takes to live with the likes of United, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

They will fall away before the season's end imo. They are at Everton's level. Those two to fight it out for 5th spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Yes they will imo. Don't think either Villa or Everton will have it in them to keep it going until the end of the season. And I think there's a couple of players due back from injury at Arsenal and the possible arrival of Arshavin.

Don't think Villa have gone through much of a bad patch yet, whereas Arsenal have and are still just behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

K4t wrote: »
    Villa haven't gatecrashed ****e. They've been extremely lucky with decisions (penalty decisions) this season and have had no serious injury problems. And yet they are just about keeping up with 4th or 5th place. They don't have serious money it takes to live with the likes of United, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

They will fall away before the season's end imo. They are at Everton's level. Those two to fight it out for 5th spot.

While being harsh on what Villa have achieved, this is somewhat true. I heard a few weeks back they'd used 15-16 players all season, is that true? And there have been so many games recently they could have drawn that went their way.

I'd expect the big 4 to be the top 4 again, but I wouldn't put my house on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You are wrong and misinformed. Villa have at least as much to spend as Arsenal and Liverpool.
    Bouma, Carew and Laursen are all injured.
    You sound very bitter in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

They don't have serious money it takes to live with the likes of ... Arsenal.

Arsenal have never spent big. Villa's billionaire chairman sold out of banking a couple years ago (good timing, Randy) and because of exchange rates has just becoming $400m richer. Villa aren't short of cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Villa are rich as fook, but for now, don't have a huge squad. Were they too, they could take a place in the big four.

What wouldn't entirely surprise me would be in the next couple of seasons, if Abramovich loses interest entirely in Chelsea that they would be the ones to leave the Big Four.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I predicted 5th for Villa at the start of the season but have been once again pleasantly surprised by MON's men, if any team is going to break the top 4 this year itl be Villa and tbh this is the last year of the big 4 as Man City and Villa/Everton/Spurs(maybe in the future) are just turning it into a two tier league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Arsenal have never spent big. Villa's billionaire chairman sold out of banking a couple years ago (good timing, Randy) and because of exchange rates has just becoming $400m richer. Villa aren't short of cash.
    Because Wenger can spot talent at a very young age and can turn seemingly 'good' players into superstars. (Henry, Sagna, Fabregas, Kanu the list goes on). Martin O'Neill is good but he's no Arsene Wenger.

Man City are the richest club in the world and are staring relegation in the face.
    Villa are rich as fook, but for now, don't have a huge squad. Were they too, they could take a place in the big four.
    LOL! So you think they could just waltz into the big four if they wanted to? Keep dreaming.
    JPA wrote: »
    You are wrong and misinformed. Villa have at least as much to spend as Arsenal and Liverpool.
    Bouma and Carew are wastes of space and nowhere near world class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

LOL! So you think they could just waltz into the big four if they wanted to? Keep dreaming.
    No I don't.

But with a full squad, if one of the other's plays badly in a particular season they could potentially overtake them.

Add to that, United, Chelsea and Liverpool are all in dangerous financial positions. Were any one of those to go down the swanny, Villa would at this current juncture in time be most likely to take over from them.

to start with both aswell as Heskey add further depth and options to the squad and attacking options have been the only area weve lacked in really despite scoring a lot.

Bouma's return would mean a boost more so because it would mean Luke Young an actual RB would be playing in RB for Villa.

and Carew a waste of space:eek: he's already got 7 goals this season despite only playing in 15 games not all of which were starts, and he's not been fit really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Because Wenger can spot talent at a very young age and can turn seemingly 'good' players into superstars. (Henry, Sagna, Fabregas, Kanu the list goes on). Martin O'Neill is good but he's no Arsene Wenger.
    He did pay a sizeable chunk of money for the man highlighted.
    On O'Neill, Heskey would be one I remember thriving under O'Neill. Larrson had his best years under O'Neill imo. Collymore was brought in at Leicester by O'Neill, a player who had failed for years to impress anybody but he got a hattrick in one of his first and only games for Leicester, he scored 5 in 11 appearances, he broke his leg shortly afterwards iirc.
    At Villa, Gabby Agbonlahor has improved significantly every year under O'Neill, Ashley Young is awesome, he looked like a good prospect when Villa bought him. Curtis Davies is another one who looked very good but has improved under O'Neill. Luke Young is playing the best football of his career. I think Martin O'Neill has done an incredible job at Villa, not alone that but he has improved players throughout his history in management.
    Wenger has too, but as to who is better. Thats hard to gauge really, with Wenger getting a job at one of the most successful clubs in England on his arrival, while O'Neill has never been with a historically successful club in the premiership. He now is in charge of Aston Villa, so we can assess him over the next couple of years as he seems to have a very strong team now.
    Man City are the richest club in the world and are staring relegation in the face.
    They only got the money this year, so while your statement is correct you know its so flawed.
    Time will tell, but right now I think Villa will finish ahead of Arsenal this season. And with Man City having all this money, if they survive this season, they will become a serious threat to all next season.
    Bouma played very well for Villa prior to his injury. Carew was incredible for Villa last season and this year prior to his injury. I was very skeptical when he was signed by O'Neill but have been proven completely wrong.
    What you say above shows a lack of knowledge regarding their performances at Aston Villa.

Edit: And of course I forgot all about Stillian Petrov, who was so good for O'Neill at Celtic and then goes to Villa and after a seaon and a bit, everyone has given up on him except O'Neill. His performances this season have more than rewarded O'Neill's faith in him where other managers would have thrown him to the wolves long long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

IMO lots of things have to go there way. But I think they might just go there way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I think for this season it'll be business as usual, and I think next year the gap could open up again.

Arsenal are only one good DM away from having a team that can win the league. This year they've been crippled with injuries and are missing someone that can inspire the rest of the team in a battle. I don't think Wenger will let that continue next season. Some of their young players will have a full years experience by the time next season comes round and I don't think we'll see some of the naivety that has plagued them this year.

Liverpool have pushed on this year, and though they've dropped a lot of bad points at home they've shown they can stand toe to toe with the other top teams for the first time. They won a lot of games early on that they would have lost in previous years, but again next year they'll have a little more experience and won't/shouldn't make the same mistakes.

Chelsea are in a state of flux at the moment and a lot depends on two things. Is Roman bored and looking for a way out? Does Drogba want to continue his career at Chelsea? If the answer is No and Yes respectively then Chelsea will be comfortably in the top 4 next year, if not then they desperately need to sort it out sooner rather than later. Replace Drogba with a similar presence and find a formation that works for them.

United are United, although they tend to go through stages where they just aren't playing well at all they keep grinding out results. They are too consistent at the moment, and will be next year, to drop out of the top 4.

So Villa, Everton, Spurs & City would need to play at their best all season, hope that one of the above has a bad run and injuries and most importantly they need to win the head to heads against the team they would be replacing. I think Villa will get close this year, and Villa & City might get close next year, but I think the top 4 will be the same as it has been for the best part of the last 10 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jesus you'd swear we were 10 points adrift at the bottom and not sitting in the middle of the table. Over dramatisation of the year so far right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I voted "yes" but it was a tough decision - am 51-49 on it. Villa signing Heskey is a big deal in my opinion and he will have a big part to play in their push for a top 4 slot. If rumours of Owen are remotely true, I will be quite impressed as I see it as a major statement of intent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think Villa will take Arsenals place this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's really important imo that Villa do take somebodys place. We need the top 4 to be disrupted, and I'd be happy to see it happen to anyone (except United of course). City getting in their won't be that welcomed by me because it was just from ludicrous over-spending. That said, I don't expect to see City there next year, maybe the year after with a new manager probably (Hughes won't last 2 seasons not getting into the CL)

If Villa get into the CL, and then take a major major chance. Buy big. Like huge. Spend like 150 million on world class talent that would now be willing to come because of CL football. If they can do that, they could make it a top 5, and begin to challenge for the league even. That would be a fantastic thing for the PL, we need somebody to mix it up, but in an old fashioned sensible purchases with good management way. But they have to get 4th first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

arsenal will do enough to finish in the top 4.

i see it being -

united
    chelsea
    liverpool
    arsenal

villa have been excellent thus far but i expect them to fall away similar to arsenals fall from the top last year about this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

United
    Chelsea
    Villa
    Liverpool

My predicition tbh, cant see Liverpool getting 1st or 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Man U
    Chelsea
    Villa
    Arsenal

• Advertisement

I should know better but I really don't see how you can genuinely state that Liverpool will finish outside of the top 4 this season..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

In fairness they're only 6 points clear of 5th. It's not impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

I should know better but I really don't see how you can genuinely state that Liverpool will finish outside of the top 4 this season..

their form is poor enough and their manager has lost a little focus to say the least. the table is the closest in years and anybody that goes on a 3/4 game win/winless streak streak could see a massive change in fortunes.

In fairness they're only 6 points clear of 5th. It's not impossible.
    YDMHSSB wrote: »
    their form is poor enough and their manager has lost a little focus to say the least. the table is the closest in years and anybody that goes on a 3/4 game win/winless streak streak could see a massive change in fortunes.

It is certainly possible but I just don't see it becoming a reality. Anyway, tis obviously your opinion and ye are obviously entitled to that so no matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i reckon it'll be the same top 4

Utd
    Pool
    Chelsea
    Arse

villa haven't had an injury crisis or a run of bad luck (or a run of no good luck for that matter) of any kind all season. they deserve to be in and around where they are but you would have to think it likely one of these things will happen and they'll drop off slightly. everton aren't equipped enough yet either.

imo these 4 teams are best equipped to kick on till may.

that being said, it wouldn't entirely shock me to see villa sneak in, especially if arsenal don't improve as I'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I voted yes. United , Liverpool and Chelsea will fill the top three positions (in whatever order). Villa have done great up until now but I cant see them maintaining it for the whole season.

Arsenal have been very poor by their standards this season and yet are still there, or thereabouts. I expect them to finish fourth this season and the status quo will be maintained.

I would love to see Villa(or anyone else) get a champions league spot thsi season but I just dont think its going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

JPA wrote: »

well said jpa villa for 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I put my money where my mouth is at the start of the season in a bet against LuckyLloyd. So far Ive seen nothing to change my mind other than the league table (from the wise words of Paul Osam - I wouldnt pay too much attention to the table, it changes every week) Nobody has shown championship form yet, United should be nowhere near the top of the table after the disastrous start they had, theyve been let back in and are starting to show form. Question marks over Chelsea and Arsenal but I think theyre more used to pressure than Liverpool and I think Villa can keep grinding out results.

I predict Liverpool to get 1 point from their next 2 games against Wigan and Chelsea and itll be an uphill struggle for them from there, especially if they beat Everton today and keep going well in the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

think villa will fade a bit from now on, not a big enough squad there. so the status quo remains the same for me.

LMAO at city facing relegation, i know we're 4 points off relegation but 4 points of 8th too.

anyway league to finish like this:

united
    chelsea
    liverpool
    arsenal
    villa
    city (yes we can!)
    everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

They've been extremely lucky with decisions (penalty decisions)

like?
    have had no serious injury problems.

carew out for months, bouma out for months, laursen out for months

yeh we've had no injuries, youre dead right
    And yet they are just about keeping up with 4th or 5th place.

we're 3 points off the top of the league
    They don't have serious money it takes to live with the likes of United, Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal.

we outspent every one of them in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

arsenal and liverpool rely hugely on champions league money and at the moment with the way the banks are could even be forced to sell some key players to balance the books so if villa do knock them out of top 4 it could take a while before they get back into it all to play for tho. i still don't hold any creedence in liverpool taking top spot i dont think chelsea will be title contenders anymore i think they''ll be there 3 or 6(points) behind united.stoke westbrom hull/pompey to go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PHB wrote: »
    City getting in their won't be that welcomed by me because it was just from ludicrous over-spending.
    And thats how United initially made it to the top under Ferguson. They paid out record sums for players. So don't go there about any other club, whats happened since at United is great but would never have happened without the 'ludicrous over-spending' in the first place, as Ferguson would have been long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You obviously don't like them as this is one of the most retarded posts I've ever read on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

arsenal and liverpool rely hugely on champions league money and at the moment with the way the banks are could even be forced to sell some key players to balance the books so if villa do knock them out of top 4 it could take a while before they get back into it all to play for tho. i still don't hold any creedence in liverpool taking top spot i dont think chelsea will be title contenders anymore i think they''ll be there 3 or 6(points) behind united.stoke westbrom hull/pompey to go down.

Things are very tight at the top of the league, I would expect Man utd to be almost certain of a top four spot, everyone seems to think that if Villa do break into the top four it will be at Arsenals expense for me though it could easily be Chelsea and to a lesser extent Liverpool that might miss out.

Arsenal could possibly afford to miss out on a champions league spot for a season, obviously far from ideal but they could get away with it.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    You obviously don't like them as this is one of the most retarded posts I've ever read on here.

worried arsenal fan id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea and ManU all depend on Champions league money. You do realise the size of the debt on Chelsea and Manu dont you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

eagle eye wrote: »
    And thats how United initially made it to the top under Ferguson. They paid out record sums for players. So don't go there about any other club, whats happened since at United is great but would never have happened without the 'ludicrous over-spending' in the first place, as Ferguson would have been long gone.
    Overspending and Mark Robins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Voted no; think Villa will be there.

bohsman wrote: »
    I put my money where my mouth is at the start of the season in a bet against LuckyLloyd. So far Ive seen nothing to change my mind other than the league table (from the wise words of Paul Osam - I wouldnt pay too much attention to the table, it changes every week) Nobody has shown championship form yet, United should be nowhere near the top of the table after the disastrous start they had, theyve been let back in and are starting to show form. Question marks over Chelsea and Arsenal but I think theyre more used to pressure than Liverpool and I think Villa can keep grinding out results.

I predict Liverpool to get 1 point from their next 2 games against Wigan and Chelsea and itll be an uphill struggle for them from there, especially if they beat Everton today and keep going well in the CL.

I don't agree with you but at least you put forward a reasonable arguement.

• Advertisement

I am actually quite interested in the poll result as I think itl be a fair reflection as any Villa (or maybe Everton) fans voting just cos its their team in question im sure will be counterd by the fans(arsenal mostly) voting for their team to keep 4th as they are their team. Everyone else will be mostly impartial and atm its tight after nearly 80 votes only 1.3% more people think "the big four" wont be able to hold onto the top 4 spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i voted "yes". Even though I bet a tenner "no".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭busted flush

man u
    Chelsea
    aston villa
    everton

liverpool are really only a 2 man team , one of who is not playing at his best yet, arsenal are struggling to find any form and with key players still out i can see them continuing to struggle. villa and everton are real teams with players all doing their job week in week out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

arsenal are struggling to find any form and with key players still out i can see them continuing to struggle.

P W D L
    9 5 4 0

Not bad for a team that is struggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the obstacles are the same as they were last season, and the season before last, and the season before that...

Arsenal are the only team in danger. Villa are the only team capable o breaking it. What people are forgetting is that Arsenal are having a pretty awful season in terms of injuries. Villa are having an exceptionally fortunate season in terms of injuries. This situation can change so quickly, and i've yet to ssee Villa display anything that suggests they are any different from the teams who tried and failed previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Highsider wrote: »
    Arsenal,Liverpool,Chelsea and ManU all depend on Champions league money. You do realise the size of the debt on Chelsea and Manu dont you?
    Yup, i just can't see either united or chelsea finishing outside the top four this year so i didn't mention it but ya glazer put something like £800m:eek: on united when he took them over.

Villa are having an exceptionally fortunate season in terms of injuries

why do people think this? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bohsman wrote: »
    United should be nowhere near the top of the table after the disastrous start they had, theyve been let back in and are starting to show form.

I wouldn't go along with that, United are only one point worse off than they were at this stage last year. They have only conceeded 10 goals, which is remarkable considering they havn't had a settled defence.

They have lost 2, Liverpool beat them, but that was gona happen sooner or later, Beaten by the Arse away is no shame.

At this stage last year, City, Bolton and West Ham all took 3 points off United.

United are still in all four competitions, a final of one, and top of another.

It's business as usual TBH for united, the games they had in hand gave a untrue reflection of the league, considering they still have one in hand, calling it a disastrous start is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Helix wrote: »
    why do people think this? :confused:

I don't know, it's been said earlier in the thread about the injuries but we can repeat it again.

Villa's injuries for the season have been

Sidwell - Out for about the first 2 months of the season
    Bouma - Has been out since the summer.
    Laursen - Has been out for the last month and is likely to be missing for the rest of the season.
    Carew - Out for about the last 6 weeks.

That's 4 first team players out for long periods of the season. Add to that smaller injuries to other players during the season (e.g. Petrov being out for 3 games), and they haven't been that fortunate given that we have one of the smallest squads in the league.

cuellar missed a few as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement