Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the "big four" be the top 4 this year?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

YOUR TABLE
    TEAM P GD PTS
    1 Man U 85
    2 Chelsea 76
    3 Villa 76
    4 Pool 75
    5 Arsenal 72
    6 Everton 67
    7 Man City 46
    8 Blackburn 46
    9 Bolton 46
    10 Wigan 45
    11 West ham 43
    12 Tottenham 42
    13 Fulham 42
    14 Newcastle 41
    15 Portsmouth 40
    16 Stoke 39
    17 Sunderland 36
    18 Middlesborough 36
    19 Hull 36
    20 WBA 33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭YDMHSSB

to suggest liverpool will not finish ahead of villa is madness outta anybody. im sure we can all joke and say it and maybe want it to happen, but it wont. villa have a very hard run in and liverpools aint too bad at all. not much harder than united to be fair.

YDMHSSB wrote: »
    to suggest liverpool will not finish ahead of villa is madness outta anybody. im sure we can all joke and say it and maybe want it to happen, but it wont. villa have a very hard run in and liverpools aint too bad at all. not much harder than united to be fair.

To be honest the above is based even on villa losing at anfield and old trafford and only managing a draw at home to chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

YDMHSSB wrote: »

Villa's run in isn't too bad. We've a run of tough games coming up, and then an okay run in. If we're level with Arsenal with 6 games to go I'd expect Villa to get 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Villa's run in isn't too bad. We've a run of tough games coming up, and then an okay run in. If we're level with Arsenal with 6 games to go I'd expect Villa to get 4th.

Hopefully we will have some key players back by then such as Fabregas and Theo, also a good chance that Eduardo will be back in the team by then, still the next few fixtures could be key imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

just posted this in the Villa thread

8pts ahead of Arsenal before their derby
    2pts ahead of Chelsea after the same amount of games and we play them next
    3rd place in the league on merit
    7th consecutive away win
    unbeaten run continues

i feel like that pic of MON i posted in the other thread
    mon.jpg

anyone feel like changing their mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Christ, 73 people genuinely believe Aston Villa will out score Arsenal or Chelsea over the course of the season :rolleyes:

Aston Villa have hung on until now but there's nearly 4 months still to go (Heskey injured now too I think). I wouldn't be surprised if Everton end up getting 5th spot with the Villa in 6th. They needed to spend during the transfer window, they can't afford for injuries and they'll be found out soon enough.

End Of Season:
    United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Villa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah hubris, love it :)

There will be no retribution Mikey. Anyone who follows football seriously would agree with me.

Please whatever elee you call me, don't call me Mikey. Please!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Please whatever elee you call me, don't call me Mikey. Please!
    :D:D Knew I'd get that haha.

Remember my post is all I'll say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

K4t wrote: »
    There will be no retribution Mikey. Anyone who follows football seriously would agree with me.

How condescending to your posts get?

You think you're all knowing. You think Chelsea are United's main threat to the title still. It's rediculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

You don't know whats going to happen. Its all opinions based on form and if's and but's. How can your opinion be better than anyone elses in this situation?

I hope Villa continue their run. It wud be nice to see arsenal or chelsea kicked out of the top 4 spot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

they can't afford for injuries and they'll be found out soon enough.

you mean like bouma, sidwell, carew, cuellar, reo coker and laursen so far this season?

we managed just fine then
    End Of Season:
    United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Villa

have to laugh at the fact that you think everton will make 12 points up on villa over 13 games

Christ, 73 people genuinely believe Aston Villa will out score Arsenal or Chelsea over the course of the season :rolleyes:

Aston Villa have hung on until now but there's nearly 4 months still to go (Heskey injured now too I think). I wouldn't be surprised if Everton end up getting 5th spot with the Villa in 6th. They needed to spend during the transfer window, they can't afford for injuries and they'll be found out soon enough.

End Of Season:
    United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Villa

what exactley makes you certain Villa are going to fade away over the next 13 league games that your obove opinion should be believeed by anyone who seriously follows football? Especially when they are currently 3rd, 2pts ahead of Chelsea after the same amount of games, 7pts ahead of Arsenal, 11 points ahead of Everton, have won 7 consecutive away matches and are unbeaten in the league since the 9th of November since when they have drawn with united and beaten Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Guys he's only a leaving Cert WUM having a laugh.

Anyway Villa are going to win the PL,UEFA Cup and FA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Guys he's only a leaving Cert WUM having a laugh.

Anyway Villa are going to win the PL,UEFA Cup and FA Cup.

Hows about runners up in the PL?

:D:D Knew I'd get that haha.

Remember my post is all I'll say.

Will do. Reckon it will be a contender for stupid post of the year come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I am an Everton fan and i think that there is absolutely no reason why Villa cant get a CL spot this year - they are in a great position now and i think that there is a good chance Everton will finish above Arsenal - Arsenal are absolutely dire and they do not deserve to be in the CL next year so effectively it is between Villa and Everton and we have a good lookin run of fixtures comin up but the points difference is pretty big but good luck to Villa.

TBH this is gonna be Utd's easiest PL in history - they will win it by at least 10 pts, when Liverpool are your nearest title rival you know Fergie is laughing his head off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Think Villa can handily get 4th maybe even 3rd, they are the form team at the moment (+ ManU) and Arsenal, Chelski, and Liverpool all ropey and not able to get results against Hull, Stoke etc. It will take Arshavin to have a dream start and Fabergas(if even poss) to come back for Arsenal to get a run on 4th.

The fact that Arsenal have bought only 1 top player this season, with a thin squad is goin to (poss) bite them on the run in.

Bump! Ray Gun Wilkins is in charge for now. Shall Chelsea crumble to dust (5th) or find new life?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Think Villa can handily get 4th maybe even 3rd, they are the form team at the moment (+ ManU) and Arsenal, Chelski, and Liverpool all ropey and not able to get results against Hull, Stoke etc.

I read this and I couldn't help wonder what matches Villa drew or lost and also how they done agains the teams you listed (and the other relegation candidates) this season.. So, I went a checked:
    Hull 0-1 Aston Villa
    Zayatte o.g. 88

Aston Villa 1-2 Middlesbrough

Newcastle 2-0 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0-0 Portsmouth

Stoke 3-2 Aston Villa
    Tis funny how you can say something and it turns out to be contradictory..

Villa are doing extremely well this season and deserving of their place. But, to base your prediction that Villa will do well as they don't struggle against the likes of Hull, Stoke and other relation cadidates like Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal do just doesn't add up based on the 5 examples above.

In fact, if you look at performances versus the current bottom 7:
    1. Chelsea have 28 points
    2. United have 28 points
    3. Everton have 26 points
    4. Liverpool have 23 points
    5. Villa have 22 points
    6. Arsenal have 18 points
    Seems that it is not Villa's are not particularly strong against the relegation candidates as you would like to think. All clubs have played 10 games in that mini table by the way. In fact, they are inferior that two of the three clubs you mentioned.

If you want to restrict to just Stoke and Hull - your etc indicates otherwise but the benefit of the doubt and all that:
    1. Chelsea have 10 points - 4 games
    2. Liverpool have 3 points - 3 games
    3. Villa have 3 points - 2 games
    4. Arsenal have 3 points - 3 games

For completeness sakes, here are the same teams versus clubs placed between 7th and 13th:
    1. Villa have 20 points
    2. United have 19 points
    3. Everton have 17 points
    4. Liverpool have 16 points
    5. Chelsea have 16 points
    6. Arsenal have 14 points
    Same team versus the current and likely top 6:

1. Liverpool have 15 points
    2. Arsenal have 12 points
    3. Villa have 9 points
    4. United have 9 points
    5. Chelsea have 5 points
    6. Everton have 4 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

With Everton and Villa going well and Arsenal struggling a bit at the moment and Chelsea imploding today with the Scolari sacking.... I definitely think one of those 2 will drop out of the 4. Of the 2, I think Chelsea.....

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Will do. Reckon it will be a contender for stupid post of the year come May.
    Ouch.

I honestly think Joe can eclipse Ronaldo's goal scoring record from last season in just three and a half months.

Villa have rode their look until now. Trust me lads.

Ouch.

I honestly think Joe can eclipse Ronaldo's goal scoring record from last season in just three and a half months.

wait we have a new contender for stupid post of the year come May, Joe to outscore ronaldo's haul from last year in just 3 and a half months lol

It might be easier for us to accept your opinion if you back it up instead of just saying Trust me Villa's luck is over, they will be found out etc... for instance in response to your previous posts
    Christ, 73 people genuinely believe Aston Villa will out score Arsenal or Chelsea over the course of the season

End Of Season:
    United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Arsenal
    Everton
    Villa
    ..............There will be no retribution Mikey. Anyone who follows football seriously would agree with me.

loads of people made points about why Villa have shown so far they are real contenders (for CL) and shouldent be written off easiler one example (my own)
    what exactley makes you certain Villa are going to fade away over the next 13 league games that your obove opinion should be believeed by anyone who seriously follows football? Especially when they are currently 3rd, 2pts ahead of Chelsea after the same amount of games, 7pts ahead of Arsenal, 11 points ahead of Everton, have won 7 consecutive away matches and are unbeaten in the league since the 9th of November since when they have drawn with united and beaten Arsenal

do you have a response that that makes your suggestion more believable than just asking us to trust you?

• Advertisement

Nevermind Katy err K4t bounty hunter, just a schoolboy WUM.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭wynters

Jesus wept... For all our so-called good fortune, Villa have dropped as many points as we've earned through late or 'lucky' goals.

But getting back to topic;

ARSENAL are hoping their one new player can settle-in quickly, and for a fast return for Fabregas to rescue their season. 7 points behind Villa now having already played them twice, and with Adebayor out for the forseeable... On paper, they seem to be relying on a lot of if's and but's...

CHELSEA are going through a period of instability, and the new manager will have to hit the ground running for them not to drop a few more points in the short-term. How fast Hiddink get's them playing his way is vital. 4 of their next 6 PL games are away. The first and trickiest of which being the all important 6-pointer at Villa.

LIVERPOOL are pulling points out of the bag with late winners... There was no replacement brought-in for Keane so can Torres remain fully fit for the rest of the season??? Will crazy Benitez even play him if he does!? Of all the teams mentioned, it's Liverpool who've rode their luck until now. 2nd in the league has been achieved more by luck than judgement. And I think most level-headed Pool fans would acknowledge that now...

... there's no doubt that Villa being in the top 3 this season has 'a little' to do with falling standards at Arsenal & Chelsea. Things have levelled-out a bit, but Villa are up there on points earned. So to call Villa 'lucky' or write their chances of staying in the CL places off just because we're not one of the regular 'Big 4' is complete nonsense. Villa are the form team, who if anything -are gaining momentum!

If Villa deprive Arsenal or Chelsea of a CL place, whoever drops-out is facing MASSIVE upheaval. Will Wenger and Fabregas stay if it's Arsenal? Will Abramovic hang around if it's Chelsea? Both clubs heavily in debt? Villa will be able to attract a different calibre of player to the club with CL football and could even push on further over the next few years...

There's a storm comin'.... :)

One thing's for sure! It's the best season in donkeys years!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

uefa_cup_0.jpg

Standings:

Arsenal: Pld 29 Pts 52 Gd 19
    Aston Villa: Pld 29 Pts 52 Gd 12

Remaining Fixtures:

Arsenal:

Newcastle (a)
    Man City (h)
    Wigan (a)
    Liverpool (a)
    Middlesbrough (h)
    Portsmouth (a)
    Chelsea (h)
    Man Utd (a)
    Stoke City (h)

Aston Villa:

Liverpool (a)
    Man Utd (a)
    Everton (h)
    West Ham (h)
    Bolton (a)
    Hull City (h)
    Fulham (a)
    Middlesbrough (a)
    Newcastle (h)

Other:

- Arsenal have remaining commitments in CL and FA Cup;
    - Aston Villa are solely concentrated on league run in;
    - Arsenal expect to welcome back Rosicky, Adebayor and Fabregas from injury within the month;
    - Laursen's comeback from injury has been delayed by a couple of weeks;
    - Aston Villa have not won since 07 Feb, drawing 2 and losing 5;
    - Arsenal have essentially not lost a game since 10 Dec;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

no everton LL, surely they are in the shake-up now ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Aston Villa
    Liverpool (A)
    April
    4 Man Utd (A)
    11 Everton (H)
    18 West Ham (H)
    25 Bolton (A)
    May
    2 Hull (H)
    9 Fulham (A)
    16 Middlesbrough (A)
    24 Newcastle (H)

Arsenal

21 Newcastle (A)
    April
    4 Man City (H)
    11 Wigan (A)
    18 Liverpool (A)
    25 Middlesbrough (H)
    May
    2 Portsmouth (A)
    9 Chelsea (H)
    16 Man Utd (A)
    24 Stoke (H)

Everton

21 Portsmouth (A)
    April
    4 Wigan (H)
    11 Aston Villa (A)
    18 Chelsea (A)
    25 Man City (H)
    May
    2 Sunderland (A)
    9 Tottenham (H)
    16 West Ham (H)
    24 Fulham (A)

Liverpool

21 Aston Villa (H)
    April
    4 Fulham (A)
    11 Blackburn(H)
    18 Arsenal (H)
    25 Hull (A)
    May
    2 Newcastle (H)
    9 West Ham (A)
    16 West Brom (A)
    24 Tottenham (H)

Chelsea
    21 Tottenham (A)
    April
    4 Newcastle (A)
    11 Bolton (H)
    18 Everton (H)
    25 West Ham (A)
    May
    2 Fulham (H)
    9 Arsenal (A)
    16 Blackburn (H)
    24 Sunderland (A)

To me Arsenal have a very tough run in and they are still in the Champions League and FA cup as well which makes things tough imo.
    I really do believe that 4th is more likely to go to Villa or Everton.
    You'd never know with Liverpool they could slip up yet and lose ground, a lot of tricky ties there against ten men behind the ball sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

bump....

well i'm pretty sure that's that.

at least the fight lasted 32 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

just posted this in the Villa thread

8pts ahead of Arsenal before their derby
    2pts ahead of Chelsea after the same amount of games and we play them next
    3rd place in the league on merit
    7th consecutive away win
    unbeaten run continues

i feel like that pic of MON i posted in the other thread
    mon.jpg

anyone feel like changing their mind?

No.

kida wrote: »
    based on current form - its Utd,Villa and 2 from Pool,Arse,Chelsea and even Everton

1 Manchester United 6 6 0 0 12 0 12 18 W W W W W W
    2 Aston Villa 6 5 1 0 9 4 5 16 W D W W W W
    3 Everton 6 4 2 0 8 1 7 14 W D W W W D
    4 Arsenal 6 3 3 0 9 5 4 12 D D D W W W
    5 Wigan Athletic 6 4 0 2 7 3 4 12 W W W W L L
    6 West Ham United 6 3 2 1 12 7 5 11 D L W W D W
    7 Liverpool 6 2 4 0 12 5 7 10 D D W W D D
    8 Chelsea 6 2 3 1 7 7 0 9 D D W D L W
    9 West Bromwich Albion 6 3 0 3 8 10 -2 9 W L W L W L

How things can change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

mike65 wrote: »
    How things can change
    Like Wigan were ever staying 5th...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just reading back over some of the posts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Makes for good reading alright...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Just reading back over some of the posts :)

lol. I love that people kinda disappear when it doesn't pan out the way they thought. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol. I love that people kinda disappear when it doesn't pan out the way they thought. :)

exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i really thought arsenal were going to get a kicking a few months back. they were dropping points where they wouldnt have one so before. Liverpool were teetering, chelsea were grinding out results, and utd were just utd.
    everton and villa were winning in style and everyone else was playing as badly as everyone else.

villa have dived in the last 2 months, and arsenal seem to have got back to winning ways. liverpool are on fire (although i was surprised at the CL result against chelsea, still, chelsea were bound to beat them in that comp one of these days :))

I still see utd winning, and i think pool second with chelsea third. 4th, who knows. head says arsenal. i dont know enough about villa, but i just dont think they have the squad to keep it going until the end of the season. i think the loss at home to spurs really knocked the wind out of them. i think that was about the 3rd loss on the trot, or something similar, and they just lost momentum.

anyway, stuff that, the big exciting competition is seeing who comes 7th.
    now thats real quality football ;)

and preying for boro, sunderland and newcaslte to go down, so there will be no more visits to the north east :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

well i voted yes...

Just there!:D I'm pretty confident too:p

• Advertisement

It might be easier for us to accept your opinion if you back it up instead of just saying Trust me Villa's luck is over, they will be found out etc... for instance in response to your previous posts
    Basically, like I said a few months ago, their luck ran out. Agbonlahor's streak ended abrupty (being taken off in games now), Heskey proved that he can't do it consistently in the league, Ashley Young is a poor man's Theo Walcott. Say goodbye to CL football.
    loads of people made points about why Villa have shown so far they are real contenders (for CL) and shouldent be written off easiler one example (my own)
    Keep dreaming :rolleyes: How you thought you could outlast Arsenal over the course of a season is beyond me. Did you just start following football this season???

Ashley Young is a poor man's Theo Walcott.

Are you sure you didn't mix that up!:eek:

tok9 wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't mix that up!:eek:
    Maybe a slight over-exaggeration but one is certainly no better than the other. And both aren't a patch on Stephen Ireland.

Maybe a slight over-exaggeration but one is certainly no better than the other. And both aren't a patch on Stephen Ireland.

I don't think so.. Young is a far better crosser of the ball then walcott. Walcott probably faster then him but not that much. I think young is a far more complete player.. Ireland doesn't play wide.

Basically, like I said a few months ago, their luck ran out. Agbonlahor's streak ended abrupty (being taken off in games now), Heskey proved that he can't do it consistently in the league, Ashley Young is a poor man's Theo Walcott. Say goodbye to CL football.

Keep dreaming :rolleyes: How you thought you could outlast Arsenal over the course of a season is beyond me. Did you just start following football this season???

Im so tempted to give you a verbal bitchslap, coming on here months later just to gloat that your opinion which you never backed up at the time (instead just sayin trust me ;)) was right. Instead ill try to be mature, like i did in the Arsenal thread ill admit I think Arsenal will be in the CL next year and as theirs is a club that I in general like i wish them all the best. Despite starting this thread I never said Villa will get fourth, I was optimistic and said it was a possibility but i dont think i ever said wed get 4th. We were doing brilliantly at one point so much so that even to today the NO option leads the poll but normality has resumed i guess and Villa are expected to finish 5th which is still an improvement on last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think far too much focus is on Arsenal's recapture of form tbh. Chelsea also corrected a major descent by sacking Scolari and bringing in Hiddink imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Rod Liddle yesterday on the EPL big four borefest, and attempts to spice it up...
    one supposes that the spiteful badinage relieves some of the tedium of watching United cruise to the title, the top four of the Premier League being the four that will always sit at the top of the Premier League, regardless of early-season optimism that maybe Aston Villa or, uh, Hull City might sustain themselves for the course of a season.

It was never going to be easy for Villa to take 4th, and in a way the complete capitulation since February is classic Villa. At least we had some memorable moments and got a chance to dream. The future is still bright, just with a leaky defence.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

villa and Everton both still have a massive chance of coming fourth.
    Arsenal have much much tougher run ins that them and if we do get fourth the gap will be nowhere near the 8 points it is now

• Advertisement
Advertisement