Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Credit crunch

• 24-01-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

The international (and extremely serious) credit crunch has not yet impacted to any great extent on the Premier league apart from maybe West Ham because of the Icelandic connection. I wonder when /if some of the big clubs will be affected?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

The new tv deal is coming up soon. Lets see if the broadcasters offer more money or not. The premier league said they will go ahead with a ppv station if the new deal is not as good as the last one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

redout wrote: »
    The new tv deal is coming up soon. Lets see if the broadcasters offer more money or not. The premier league said they will go ahead with a ppv station if the new deal is not as good as the last one.

I heard ESPN where going to be in on the bidding this time round too

I heard ESPN where going to be in on the bidding this time round too

That is correct. There is also rumours that ESPN might buy Setanta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The international (and extremely serious) credit crunch has not yet impacted to any great extent on the Premier league apart from maybe West Ham because of the Icelandic connection. I wonder when /if some of the big clubs will be affected?

Unfortunately, it is incredibly difficult to predict what, if any, exact effect things will have on football as a whole. Remember that economic experts remain divided on how bad the general global situation will ultimately get - on top of being unsure how long fortunes will downswing before we see the western world economy beginning to expand again (when such expansion will be covering ground thread years ago).

Remember that the personal or collective financial stability and clout of the ownership of top flight clubs is only one side of the equation. The abillity of the general fanbase to ply money into tickets, TV subscriptions, merchandise and all associated media and sponsorship related expenditure will in all likelihood be severely impacted - in a negative manner.

Uncertain times lie ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

The guy that sells the peanuts at the Emirates is thinking of dropping his prices by 20p........bleak times are coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

The guy that sells the peanuts at the Emirates is thinking of dropping his prices by 20p........bleak times are coming.

Interesting times ahead, some season tickets are up for renewal in the next few weeks at Arsenal,wonder if the club will be reducing prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's contributed to Liverpool's new stadium not going ahead, led to rumours of Chelsea being sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Well Man Utd are sponser-less for next season atm.
    Liverpool have been put up for sale.
    Can't see any teams getting new stadiums.
    Can't see as many day-trippers from Ireland, Asia, etc... going to the promise land as much in these hard times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

AIG will not be renewing their Man Utd sponsorship in May 2010 therefore Man Utd will not be sponsorless next season.

I know of quite a few people who have scaled back their luxury spending on stuff like Setanta and Sky. I would imagine that season ticket sales will plummet on renewal at the end of this season.

Getting made redundant kind of forces your mind into thinking what is a necessity and what is a luxury. I gave up my season ticket 4 years ago at Celtic because of redundancy and being on the dole for 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

United will get a better sponsorship deal than they had before. They always do. Their price is still under-valued for the sheer marketing potential it is.

United have pretty much run out of people on the season ticket waiting list. With the recession, and a likely increase in prices, I'd imagine they might struggle to fill the stand, but they will. That said, hard core fans will again be pushed out.

That said, merchandise sales will most certainly go down.

We still desperately need to re-finance quite a few of the loans on the books, and the credit crunch has made that extremely hard to do. United are still being kept alive, just. But the way its going, they could be in serious trouble soon. The credit crunch has made that more likely, but not significantly. United's financial troubles have been hidden/covered by their incredible on-pitch success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

That is correct. There is also rumours that ESPN might buy Setanta.

ESPN offered the two lads that own setanta a billion dollars for it last year and they turned it down - i dont see ESPN topping that bid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Some of the rumours seem to suggest that ESPN intend to bid for the domestic broadcasting rights in direct competition to Sky whereas others seem to suggest that they are going for the international broadcasting rights.

I remember reading something about the domestic rights traditionally being worth far far more than the international rights and how that this time around, they are both expected to fetch similar amounts. This would suggest that someone like ESPN could be making a move for the international rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

John Delaney is of the opinion that the recession can be turned to Irish football's advantage...
    from extratime.ie... http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1159/
    His theory, and it is just that, is "there is a large body of fans who don’t have the money to travel across the channel to experience live football. Those people should be now targeted by Irish clubs to show them the high standard (of football) on offer under their noses, here at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

loads of people still went to games in England or Scotland before we had money.I remember 1987 getting the boat to Hollyhead and it was packed with Everton ,Man utd ,Villa and some Liverpool. Liverpool were playing chelsea in London that weekend and guys were getting the train to London.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

If ESPN get one of the rights packages then anyone who really likes watching their soccer will take a real hit in the wallet.

Now you may have to subscribe to three networks, Sky, Setanta and ESPN

Damn the EU and their competition law

ESPN are owned by Disney so have a lot of financial backing but if you think Sky are going to just roll over then dream on brother. The premiership is Skys moneymaker and they know without it they are finished as a top company. Expect Sky the to bid large and try and recoup some of what they lost last time out to Setanta. ESPN is a rubbish network with no interest to Europeans whatsoever. I could not see an exodus from Sky to ESPN who would probably have to launch on Skys platform in the firstplace and you can bet your ass Sky are going to charge them big time for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

ciaran76 wrote: »
    loads of people still went to games in England or Scotland before we had money.I remember 1987 getting the boat to Hollyhead and it was packed with Everton ,Man utd ,Villa and some Liverpool. Liverpool were playing chelsea in London that weekend and guys were getting the train to London.

Yes, but will the newly unemployed middle-class be doing that?

As for John Delaney? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If ESPN get one of the rights packages then anyone who really likes watching their soccer will take a real hit in the wallet.

Now you may have to subscribe to three networks, Sky, Setanta and ESPN

Damn the EU and their competition law

It's not compulsory you know..... :rolleyes:

There was a time there was no English league games live on tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Zebra3 wrote: »
    It's not compulsory you know..... :rolleyes:

There was a time there was no English league games live on tv.

Yes but there are people out there who would watch soccer morning, day, and night and there are fans of teams who would not miss one single game their favorite club is playing in.

These people will be forking out for three networks to see games.

I personally got rid of sky and went the justin.tv route a while back, then again I am not a huge fan so it suites we fine.

• Advertisement

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Thats correct but I said that sky will try an get back some of what they lost. Last time out Sky won 4 packages and Setanta won 2. I reckon Sky will want to try and get 5 this time to weaken their rivals hand.

PHB wrote: »
    United will get a better sponsorship deal than they had before. They always do. Their price is still under-valued for the sheer marketing potential it is.
    They always did, but then people always kept borrowing and paying more for everything, and marketing potential isn't worth much if no one is spending. And you may have noticed that no one is spending.

Here's the IoS's business editor yesterday:

Football sponsorship The curse of the shirt for banks
    AIG, the once mighty insurance giant, was right to pull its sponsorship from Man U last week. But questions still remain whether Barclays, still reeling from its recent pasting by investors who drove its share price down to new lows, will continue its £60m sponsorship of the Premier League. Barclays Capital boss, Bob Diamond, a big football fan, should note that most banks and companies that have backed clubs end up a disaster. Pulling out of the deal would please Barclays' small shareholders, already unhappy about the terms under which Middle Eastern investors bought their stake. By withdrawing their sponsorship, the banks would also help restore some sanity to the transfer market, as over-leveraged as the credit markets have been.

ESPN is a rubbish network with no interest to Europeans whatsoever.
    Where Sky and Setanta care deeply about 'Europeans'. :D

SectionF wrote: »
    Where Sky and Setanta care deeply about 'Europeans'. :D

Considering ESPN show about 90% american sports then I would say my statement is 100% correct.

Considering ESPN show about 90% american sports then I would say my statement is 100% correct.
    Well they are trying to change that. But I agree with you in principle. We should be trying to defend our local sports against global media interests. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

"Sure house prices always go up...."!

Hmmm I dont know about this. They got a good deal from AIG but I dont think that will be matched, in the short term anyway.

This is going to get ALOT worse before it gets better. Im generally optimistic and non bearish, but from what im reading in media (time, newsweek, economist, WSJ) then we might be 10 years before we are back to where we were in 2007. 1 down 9 to go!!:eek:

Also from what i heard the pound is finished making english companies and clubs and of course the country itself alot poorer on the world stage. By the end of the year Id say 1 euro will buy £1.20

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1123304/Pound-barely-recovers-after-hitting-24-year-low-dollar.html

The tv deal if it bigger will not be a solve it all solution. When revenue will go down and it will go down then the **** will hit the fan!

Advertisement