Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ALL Affliction Discussion **Contains Spoilers** Merged Threads -

• 05-01-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Anyone know any sites or whatever to watch it live ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Annihilate Arlovski that wouldn't be happening. I think Arlovski could beat Fedor

I smell an upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I smell an upset.

There better not be..THERE BETTER NOT BE! :mad:

Seriously tho, if Fedor loses im going to have to stop watching mma for awhile (try to anyway!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

i also think Arlovski can take this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ask dlofnep on here. He might know where to get it. Other than that just try justin.tv

• Advertisement

There better not be..THERE BETTER NOT BE! :mad:

Seriously tho, if Fedor loses im going to have to stop watching mma for awhile (try to anyway!)

Why? Isnt the attraction of the sport the unpredictability factor? I wasn't happy with some of the winners in the last UFC as I wanted the others to win, I'm not gonna stop watching the sport because I didn't get my way.

If it hits the ground its over but on the feet AA has a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Hello all. Also think that this could be a very tricky bout for Fedor, but obviously he's still very likely to take it one way or another.

Would also LOVE to watch this card, if anyone gets a definite on where we might be able to watch it then please post it here!

Why? Isnt the attraction of the sport the unpredictability factor? I wasn't happy with some of the winners in the last UFC as I wanted the others to win, I'm not gonna stop watching the sport because I didn't get my way.

If it hits the ground its over but on the feet AA has a chance.
    We only started to hear "the unpredictability factor is one of the biggest attractions of the sport" since Serra knocked out gsp and all of the other big upsets that followed after that. This is just a marketing ploy to keep people interested.

If mma continues to keep this trend of rotaing champions, who cant even defend their title once, its going to hurt the sport in the long term. People from the outside are going to be looking at our sport asking "where is the skill?". Whats the point in watching this when its a roll of the dice to see who wins?" All top sports need top competitors. Tiger woods - golf. Tennis - ferderer etc. The credibility of the sport is already being called into question when you have a guy at 3 and 1 (Brock) who is heavyweight champ. I think if Arlokski beats fedor (which is quite possible) were going to see a heightened sense of disillusionment with the sport, among hardcore fans and casual fans alike.

Sure, I know theres a million different ways to win or lose in mma and bla bla bla, but sports need superstars.

Style makes fights. In many ways, the rock paper scissors nature of MMA means that achieving dominance is much harder than in boxing. That makes the achievements of fighters with the records like Anderson Silva's all the more impressive. Of course this has failewd to capture the the attention of the casual fan, as Silva's PPV figures are of the lowest of UFC's title holders.

Personally, if the fights all had predictable outcomes, I wouldnt be as interested in them

dunkamania wrote: »
    Style makes fights. In many ways, the rock paper scissors nature of MMA means that achieving dominance is much harder than in boxing. That makes the achievements of fighters with the records like Anderson Silva's all the more impressive. Of course this has failewd to capture the the attention of the casual fan, as Silva's PPV figures are of the lowest of UFC's title holders.

Personally, if the fights all had predictable outcomes, I wouldnt be as interested in them
    I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

We only started to hear "the unpredictability factor is one of the biggest attractions of the sport" since Serra knocked out gsp and all of the other big upsets that followed after that. This is just a marketing ploy to keep people interested.

Are you saying some fights are fixed?

If mma continues to keep this trend of rotaing champions, who cant even defend their title once, its going to hurt the sport in the long term. People from the outside are going to be looking at our sport asking "where is the skill?". Whats the point in watching this when its a roll of the dice to see who wins?" All top sports need top competitors. Tiger woods - golf. Tennis - ferderer etc. The credibility of the sport is already being called into question when you have a guy at 3 and 1 (Brock) who is heavyweight champ. I think if Arlokski beats fedor (which is quite possible) were going to see a heightened sense of disillusionment with the sport, among hardcore fans and casual fans alike.

Sure, I know theres a million different ways to win or lose in mma and bla bla bla, but sports need superstars.

I agree that brock was rushed to the top but it does prove that every fighter has a chance.

But i strongly disagree with everything else. Fighting skill gives you an edge in the ring or cage but doesnt make you a certainty, the same as in any other sport.

In boxing James Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, Hasim Rahman beat Lewis.
    Federer loses
    Tiger...lol..while he wins more than anyone, you should look at his percentage wins vs entry.

Saying that i think Fedor will win.

Killme00 wrote: »

I agree that brock was rushed to the top but it does prove that every fighter has a chance.

Fighting skill gives you an edge in the ring or cage but doesnt make you a certainty, the same as in any other sport.

In boxing James Buster Douglas beat Mike Rapist Tyson, Hasim Rahman beat Lewis.
    Federer loses
    Tiger...lol..while he wins more than anyone, you should look at his percentage wins vs entry.

Saying that i think Fedor will win.

No not all. Not sure where u got that from..:confused:

"But i strongly disagree with everything else. Fighting skill gives you an edge in the ring or cage but doesnt make you a certainty, the same as in any other sport."

Well thats pretty obvious...I just like to see some balance in the sport.. Sure, its boring if the favourite wins all the time and i like the unpredictability of mma to a degree,
    but we need some scope of normaility or it all begins to look a bit pointless..thats why its great to see silva, fedor and previously hughes go on these great runs when its so easy to lose in this sport.

"In boxing James Buster Douglas beat Mike Tyson, Hasim Rahman beat Lewis.
    Federer loses
    Tiger...lol..while he wins more than anyone, you should look at his percentage wins vs entry."

Tyson had 8 title defences before he got beat in which is widely regarded as the biggest upset in sporting history.Woods has 13 majors and federer has 5 wimbledons.

In no other sports do we see as many upsets than as in mma. Of course this is the nature of the beast and Im not asking for every champion to be undefeated, but I just think its much more exciting and adds creditibility to the sport when you have a guy like fedor as a champion.

In no other sports do we see as many upsets than as in mma. .
    Bollox..an upset is where the favourite doesnt win...right?

In this case i would say there are fewer upsets in MMA than any other sport in the world...except table tennis (the chinese just dont lose)

Bollox..an upset is where the favourite doesnt win...right?

In this case i would say there are fewer upsets in MMA than any other sport in the world...except table tennis (the chinese just dont lose)

"i would say there are fewer upsets in MMA than any other sport in the world"

You must be joking right????

Check out some of the betting odds for mma matches on the different gambling sites. You'll find their significantly worse than in most other sports..why is this I wonder???

UFC Champs wise Liddell had a solid run as champ as did Ace Ventura.

GSP, if he gets past BJ (which I think he won't personally) will reign at 170 for a good few defences.

Hughes had the belt for ages.

Sylvia held onto the HW Belt for quite a while.

Anderson Silva has had it for a long time. In fact before him was a long run by Franklin....that belt is very stable.

Its just the HW and LHW belt that have jumped around lately and IMHO if it wasnt for terrible judging then Rampage would be another to add to the stable champ list.

GSP came straight back in Serras first defence.

It's not as bad as you are implying. It only seems so because of the HW tournament upsets and Rampage-Griffin-Evans.

Also lads, keep the nicknames for fighters legit. There may be a conviction to back up said names and I don't disagree but lets not go down that road.

Check out some of the betting odds for mma matches on the different gambling sites. You'll find their significantly worse than in most other sports..why is this I wonder???

Its down to lack of knowledge, the same as the rugby handicaps were 3/4 years ago and is not a commentary on the sports. WTF does that have to do with it anyway.

Its just the HW and LHW belt that have jumped around lately .

And another reason they have jumped around was the influx of Pride fighters making the top end more competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fedor > Arlovski.

Plain and simple.

Arlovski has a punchers chance, but so did Sylvia.
    44 seconds later.........

Andrei has fooled a lot of people by his performance a few months back.
    He's still the same fighter, with the same problems.

Fedors number one strength is using his boxing to get to a clinch.
    It's not a case of Fedor winning if it goes to the ground.
    Fedor will win if he gets his hands on Arlovski.

Its down to lack of knowledge, the same as the rugby handicaps were 3/4 years ago and is not a commentary on the sports. WTF does that have to do with it anyway.

The point is thats its literally a coin flip to pick the winner in alot mma fights these days..

The point is thats its literally a coin flip to pick the winner in alot mma fights these days..

Wrong....skillset, previous record and current form determine who is the favourite and the odds for that matter. MMA fights are not predetermined by the odds nor are they a coinflip (as i have previously explained) BUT moreso than most other sports the underdog has a chance (it only takes 1 second to apply a choke or throw a punch). I think this adds to the reputation of the sport rather than making it a joke.

Do you think Fedor vs Arlovski is a coinflip?

• Advertisement

Wrong....skillset, previous record and current form determine who is the favourite and the odds for that matter. MMA fights are not predetermined by the odds nor are they a coinflip (as i have previously explained) BUT moreso than most other sports the underdog has a chance (it only takes 1 second to apply a choke or throw a punch). I think this adds to the reputation of the sport rather than making it a joke.

Do you think Fedor vs Arlovski is a coinflip?
    I think your getting the wrong end of the stick..Maybe you need to reread my replies..

Of course skillset, previous record and current form and other factors determine who is the favourite and I dont think any sport is totally predetermined by the odds.. It just seems in mma its increasingly difficult to pick a winner.. As I stated before, this does add a degree of excitment to the sport, but if it goes the way where anybody is beating anybody it detracts from the sport imo..

"Do you think Fedor vs Arlovski is a coinflip?"

Not as much as other fights, but to a certain extent yes.. Fedors a special fighter and i expect him to win, but you never know..

No.
    It's simply a new sport, so the experts don't know everything yet.

I regulary call 6 or 7 fights out of 10 on a card, and I've only gone into a bookies once in my life.

I've deffinately got a winning record with picks.

No.
    It's simply a new sport, so the experts don't know everything yet.

I regulary call 6 or 7 fights out of 10 on a card, and I've only gone into a bookies once in my life.

I've deffinately got a winning record with picks.

"It's simply a new sport, so the experts don't know everything yet."

Who are the experts? and how are they ever going to know everything? Randy Couture might be considered an expert yet he still picked the 3 main events wrong in Ufc 92.. Sure its a new sport, but in 20 years time, when we have even better fighters, it might be even harder to pick a winner..

[B]"I regulary call 6 or 7 fights out of 10 on a card, and I've only gone into a bookies once in my life. I've deffinately got a winning record with picks."[/B]

Id usually come out top heavy in wins with my picks too. Its just at the elite end of the sport theres been a helluva lot of upsets lately. Which is all well and good for the moment, and makes for exciting fights and future match ups, but it might detract from the sport in the future if championship bouts start to become like crap shoots..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

it's a 2 horse race at the highest level, so of course there is a matematical chance AA will win. Not taking a personal jibe at Neil but saying "I smell an upset" is a weak comment. Are you putting $ on AA to win? Of course he has a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Randy Couture might be considered an expert yet he still picked the 3 main events wrong in Ufc 92..

In fairness to Randy, in two of the fights he picked his training partners and in the other he picked the huge favourite! He got that reputation for being great at predicting fights last year purely because he'd picked guys who he trained with to win a couple of upsets

I really don't think that too many upsets will harm the sport in any way. The only thing that I think could harm it would be if the favourites constantly won. But that's never going to happen. Styles make fights, and a lesser skilled fighter can beat a superior fighter by beating him in just one part of his game

I cannot see Arlovski winning this. Does no one remember the Nelson fight? Nelson almost had him beat and Fedor is a thousand times the fighter that Roy Nelson is

And this won't be another case of Mir/Nogueira :pac: Fedor's not beat up the way that Nogueira is and I'm picking him to win by submission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Fedor will destroy Arlovski! As soon as he gets his hands on him Arlovski's done. Don't get me wrong he's a good boxer, but he can't keep Fedor off of him forever.

it's a 2 horse race at the highest level, so of course there is a matematical chance AA will win. Not taking a personal jibe at Neil but saying "I smell an upset" is a weak comment. Are you putting $ on AA to win? Of course he has a chance.

Why is it a weak comment? The thread title implies a foregone conclusion and I don't see it that way. If Fedor decides to stand with him then there's a good chance he'll go asleep. If he takes him down then he'll win. Fedor is smart but he doesn't always go straight for the takedown. He's the favourite but I don't see this as a "poor Andrei has no chance" type thing the same way it was for Leben vs Anderson Silva. Hence, I smell an upset.

As for putting money on it, depends on the odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Someone on MMA Weekly said the odds were roughly

Fedor 4/11
    Arlovski 3/1

AA is definitely worth a bet at those odds, unforetunately Paddy Power only take bets on the UFC.

Who are the experts? and how are they ever going to know everything? Randy Couture might be considered an expert yet he still picked the 3 main events wrong in Ufc 92.. Sure its a new sport, but in 20 years time, when we have even better fighters, it might be even harder to pick a winner..

I was reffering to the people employed by the bookies to set the odds.
    Football/rugby/basketball/boxing have all been around for decades, and have set odds and methoods for coming to these.
    MMA is fairly new comparatively, and it's explosion in the last 5 years means that bookies don't know their stuff really.
    Give it a decade, and they'll have their odds down.
    Id usually come out top heavy in wins with my picks too. Its just at the elite end of the sport theres been a helluva lot of upsets lately. Which is all well and good for the moment, and makes for exciting fights and future match ups, but it might detract from the sport in the future if championship bouts start to become like crap shoots..

What titles?

Only the HW and LHW have been changing.
    The HW was mainly due to Randys legal issues.
    Yes there have been a few fighters in title bouts, and 4 people holding belts, but there were two belts after all!

LW: BJ Penn is very steady at the top, and it's the most competetive weight class.

WW: With the exception of the loss (I hate to say fluke, but come on like), to Serra he's been unstopable.
    He choked out Trigg, TKO'd Sherk, decisioned Penn, Destroyed Matt Hughes (twice!), beat Koscheck, avenged Serra, and mauled Fitch.
    And I believe will beat Penn again.

MW: Anderson Silva.
    'nuff said!

LHW: This is the only real division with constant movement.
    They just lost a very dominant champion, and nobody has filled the spot yet.
    It'll be a while till they get a new King.

HW: As I said, Randy's legal issues make it look worse than it seems.
    Brock though, has what it takes to dominate for a while, if he works like he has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Sm0ke

This is it!

in one corner we have Fedor, Undefeated in 7+ years of MMA competition (the cut shud have been a no contest). He was undefeated in all Sambo Competitions up until a month or 2 ago when he sufferred his first sambo lose. Arvoloski looks in great shape, he looks focused and u can see he has his hunger back after losing his title to tim Sylvia twice. He is one of the best boxers in MMA at the mintue but, is that enough to beat Fedor, a man with near mythic status, the only fighter that has been around as long as he has and still champion and unbeaten. This may be his time tough as fedor has his recent sambo loss (its quite diffrent than mma and Fedor didnt seem to care to much either lol) and any fight can be decided on one strike, one slip, one error.

how do you see this one going?

Personally? Fedor all the way, he decimated tim Sylvia in 30 odd secounds and beat him in his standup. Arlovski has improved but i dont think he will be a match for Fedor's aggressive ground and pound and overall mat skills. The way Arvoloski could win this is if Fedor tests himself! Fedor has a habit of testin his own standup skills against standup fighters and doing the same with ground fighters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Arlovski is one of my favourite fighters. If he is on his game, he is a tremendous fighter.

Potentially, this could be Fedor's hardest fight ever. Arlovski has the game and the power to do serious damage. However you can't really look past Fedor's amazing record and he has to be favourite.

I think it'll be a super fight and I'd be picking Fedor to win, although I'd love Arlovski to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭hmmmmmm

Is there anyway of watching this on the telly or online?? I know Bravo were meant to show the first Affliction before the UFC told them that was a no no.

yeah there is ways to im going to pm a moderator now to find out if its allowed to talk about how.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

Im hoping Arlovski wins..he has to be one of the most exciting heavyweight fighters and I think its better if Arlovski wins as its being rumored that a return to the UFC would be on the cards for a possible match with Lesnar. Tho it has to be said that Fedor is an animal in every aspect while arlovski really excels at striking so fedor has a lot more ways he can win!

I wouldn't advise streaming, it's just not good enough quality for MMA.
    You'll miss so much.
    Just wait untill the next morning and download the torrent in HD.
    It'll be up within 4 hours of the show ending.

P.S: Fedor all the way.
    He'll control the first round, and finish it in the second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭7daze

I recently saw a promo on Bravo for this Affliction show - 25 Jan at 21:00

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Just seen an ad for it,January 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

what time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

I've just wet myself with excitement! They did this the last time and pulled it soon after announcing so I hope it's for real. Never seen Fedor on a tv screen so this will be sweet. Arlovski's my fave fighter too.

solid card to!

PPV matches
    WAMMA Heavyweight Championship bout: Fedor Emelianenko (Champ)vs. Andrei Arlovski
    Heavyweight bout: Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel
    Light Heavyweight bout: Renato Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou Middleweight bout: Matt Lindland vs. Vitor Belfort
    Lightweight bout: Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
    Heavyweight bout: Paul Buentello vs. Kirill Sidelnikov

HDNet matches
    Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
    Welterweight bout: Jay Hieron vs. Jason High
    Featherweight bout: Bao Quach vs. LC Davis
    Featherweight bout: Albert Rios vs. Antonio Duarte
    Welterweight bout: Brett Cooper vs. Patrick Speight

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If it happens :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

Its being shown on the sunday night at 9 like bravo used to do with the ufc!!

Dis is absolutely amazing news though it'll be good to be able see the whole event from start to finish instead of watching the fights in any sort of random order!!

Im excited to see wat kind of show affliction put on aswell!!

I'm so suprised people aint swarming this thread! The greatest MMA Heavyweight of all time is fighting!

must be the GSP vs Penn fight captivating the forum!

live on Bravo WOOT!

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

Sm0ke wrote: »

live on Bravo WOOT!

Not live. The fights take place 3am on sat night/sun morning. So stay away from your pc until you watch it if you dont want to have it ruined.

Curious to see what type of show they put on. Like i've said before never seen Fedor fight so want to see what all the Hype is about.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'll just watch it live instead.. There's not the same atmosphere when you know you're watching a taped event.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'll just watch it live instead.. There's not the same atmosphere when you know you're watching a taped event.
    yeah same.

also it will be the first time i get to watch Fedor live properly! (last time against silva i was drunk and asleep not even acknowledging my friends woots of joy!!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

dlofnep wrote: »

yes them adverts are necessary for piss breaks when watching live :D

Solid card.

As incompetent as they are, I really hope Affliciton can pull it all together and make a profit at some point down the road. This is a card that should be on CBS or similar level stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

Bao Quach was one of Chris Brennan's original students, one time ranked top 5 in Shooto. Great guy hope he kicks ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Delighted to see Bravo showing this as well. From what I have seen & read about Fedor on the net the bloke looks like a beast. Those of you watching this live I take it your watchin it on the net? Have you a link for where it will be on?
    Long term if this is Afflictions final fight card like Dana White says it is I hope Fedor will join the UFC. Would love to see Fedor fight Broc, reckon Fedor would murder him!

• Advertisement
Advertisement