Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALL Affliction Discussion **Contains Spoilers** Merged Threads -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but how come there were so many UFC people working at the fight, e.g. the referees, etc.?

Yea It's like a UFC retirement ground :p
    And it seemed like the fans were booing Tito everytime he started to interview someone? Didn't think he was that hated but he was pretty useless interviewing.

Couple of things:
    Fedor's punch was just an instinctive reaction. It was thrown more like a safety swing than with intent of knocking AA out. And yet, AA ended up face down on the mat. Fedor is just unreal.

Bartnett was able to get his fight where he wanted it and maintained a very dominant position throughout the fight. Not only that but yvel didn't have great gruond skills either. Yet Bartnett had real trouble finishing it. I don't know how much of that can be attributed to the blood running into his mouth but I really don't see him as a challenge for Fedor.
    I'd rather see a rematch with AA than see Bartnett get battered. Ideally though, I wanna see Fedor in the UFC.....unlikely as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Couple of things:
    Fedor's punch was just an instinctive reaction. It was thrown more like a safety swing than with intent of knocking AA out. And yet, AA ended up face down on the mat. Fedor is just unreal.

That is what people train day in and day out for, that automatic reaction.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Charlie3dan

Dragan wrote: »
    That is what people train day in and day out for, that automatic reaction.:)

Yea exactly. You couldn't call it a lucky punch because that's exactly what he trains his body to do. But I still think he was quite suprised himself when he saw andre face down at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The Refferees, judges etc are state officials, sanctioned by the fight authorities.
    The refferee all MMA events, and aren't exclusive employees of the UFC.
    You can't contract a referee or judge to a private orginisation.
    They work all the smaller shows and the like too, and seeing as most are originally boxing refs, quiet often you'll see them on smaller boxing cards.

Great to see Big John back reffin.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Great to see Big John back reffin.

Expect to see more of him if rumours of a return to UFC are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I thought this show was very good.....makes you wish Affliction will still be running shows in 12 months time. I would have liked to see more of Fedor and Vitor. The Lindland KO was scary, the doctors were trying to get him to leave by stretcher but he refused. Babalu looked good, he had the right gameplan. Barnett was disappointing. Really liked the Buentello fight. Kiril should be looking at LHW or MW imo.

Official pay figures- if you believe thats all that Fedor was payed, than I have some magic beans to sell you......

MAIN EVENT FIGHTERS

– Fedor Emelianenko $300,000 (no win bonus) def. Andre Arlovski $1,500,000 (win bonus would have been $250,000)

MAIN CARD FIGHTERS

– Josh Barnett $500,000 (no win bonus) def. Gilbert Yvel $30,000 (win bonus would have been $9,300)

– Vitor Belfort $200,000 (includes $80,000 win bonus) def. Matt Lindland $225,000 (win bonus would have been $75,000)

– Renato "Babalu" Sobral $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou $50,000 (win bonus would have been $50,000)

– Paul Buentello $90,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Kiril Sidelnikov $10,000 (win bonus would have been $25,000)

– Dan Lauzon $12,000 (no win bonus) def. Bobby Green $4,000 (win bonus would have been $4,000)

– Jay Hieron $45,000 (includes $25,000 win bonus) def. Jason High $10,000 (win bonus would have been $5,000)

PRELIMINARY CARD FIGHTERS

– Antonio Rogerio Nogueira $150,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Vladimir Matyushenko $50,000 (win bonus would have been $30,000)

– L.C. Davis $14,000 (includes $7,000 win bonus) def. Bao Quach $7,000 (win bonus would have been $6,000)

– Albert Rios $6,000 (includes $3,000 win bonus) def. Antonio Duarte $3,000 (win bonus would have been $2,000)

– Brett Cooper $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Patrick Speight $2,000 (win bonus would have been $3,000)

Someone posted this on the F4W board:
    Just for comparison, the disclosed payrolls for UFC 91 and 92...

UFC 91 Payroll: $1,118,000
    UFC 92 Payroll: $1,381,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Fair play to Andrei, the boy got paid.

As for Fedor's amount, i would imagine his win bonus is pretty vast.

Dragan wrote: »
    As for Fedor's amount, i would imagine his win bonus is pretty vast.

$1.3 million according to Bloody Elbow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Id rather see Arloski get at least 3 solid wins before considering him for a rematch. I dont think there is much point anyway - his chin just cant stand up to Fedors kind of power.

Barnetts got the tools and skills to beat Fedor and will likely be his toughest test to date, its a fight that should have hapenned a few times already. Id rather see Fedor v winner of mir/brock but the barnett fights seems the most plausible at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

I wouldn't say he was unlucky. But it was discomforting watching him be down and disorientated for the amount of time he was.

You weren't at the races yesterday Neil, normally you can see sarcasm a mile away.:eek:

I was saying that all this Arlovski unlucky talk is madness. He went for a strike, left himself open and was caught on the button.

Luck doesnt come into it. You win or you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Barnetts got the tools and skills to beat Fedor and will likely be his toughest test to date, its a fight that should have hapenned a few times already. Id rather see Fedor v winner of mir/brock but the barnett fights seems the most plausible at this stage.

At the end of rnd 1 and 2, Yvel turned Barnett and really shook him with shots. Fedor would be harder to fight on the ground than Yvel and would really punsih Barnett. This would be a very bad match for Barnett (physically not monetarily)

You weren't at the races yesterday Neil, normally you can see sarcasm a mile away.:eek:

I was saying that all this Arlovski unlucky talk is madness. He went for a strike, left himself open and was caught on the button.

Luck doesnt come into it. You win or you don't.

No I really wasn't! Bad hangover and a bout of the fear man! I'm better today!

Arlovski wasn't so much unlucky as he got sloppy. If he rematched he would do better having learned his lesson the hard way.

I found watching Lindland last night on the TV to be very uncomfortable.

Anyone hear anything on him? Everything good I hope?

Killme00 wrote: »
    At the end of rnd 1 and 2, Yvel turned Barnett and really shook him with shots. Fedor would be harder to fight on the ground than Yvel and would really punsih Barnett. This would be a very bad match for Barnett (physically not monetarily)

the only reason Barnett ended up on his back was because he fought smart and only committed to subs with 10/15 secs left in the round.

He wouldn't go near his back vs Fedor without a fight. I think barnett has a great chance against Fedor. If he gets on top of him he could be very dangerous and he defo has the sub defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

No I really wasn't! Bad hangover and a bout of the fear man! I'm better today!

Arlovski wasn't so much unlucky as he got sloppy. If he rematched he would do better having learned his lesson the hard way.

I found watching Lindland last night on the TV to be very uncomfortable.

Anyone hear anything on him? Everything good I hope?

Wasn't nice at all mate, hope he's ok. In fairness to Belfort he stopped before the referee even jumped in. Another full punch could have done some real damage.

Did you my lads scrap, impressed?

the only reason Barnett ended up on his back was because he fought smart and only committed to subs with 10/15 secs left in the round..

I know that...but he also seemed to take alot of strikes when he was in mount, i just expected more thats all. I cant see him controlling Fedor on the ground like that.

and what exactly were the doctors at with Lindland. They should have kept him on the ground until they were ready to let him up, not the other way round. Ref was slow, fair play to Vitor

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

WOW ~ Fedor is one serious bad mo fo!!

I'm a big Arlovski fan & I thought that he had the better of the exchanges but Fedor is a beast! I seen that documentary bout him on mma tko & he is pure class! Really would have loved to see Fedor V Randy but not likely now:(

Only issue that annoyed me bout the Affliction production was the ring. I really can't understand why they don't use the cage??:confused::confused::confused:
    I mean they pay millions to get the best fighters in the world on their card & use a ****ty boxing ring! I also thought the coverage was ****e! Tito was talking some bull & barely knew what he was on about.

Great card though... thought belfort was class at 185!!

Only issue that annoyed me bout the Affliction production was the ring. I really can't understand why they don't use the cage??:confused::confused::confused:

As they want to differentiate themselves from UFC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

methinks someone never saw pride.

I sort of throught afflicitaion was trying to look like pride with the guys lined up at the start, using the ring and having the fighters names displayed up on the stands in lighting.

They probably should have went for Bas and Quadros

I know that...but he also seemed to take alot of strikes when he was in mount, i just expected more thats all. I cant see him controlling Fedor on the ground like that.
    lol Punches from a mounted opponent arnt going to do much to any elitle fighter. Yvel pulled out a gutsy performance but barnett still thouroughly dominated.

In Barnett we have the most well rounded opponent fedor has faced. Check his record, the guys a stud. He's hard to finish, wins by subs and tko's, and is good in every aspect of the game. The guy can put together a gameplan as well.

Fedor looked the most vulnerable we have seen him in awhile last night, I think if he does some of the same things against Barnett, Josh could capitalize. If Barnett can find his way on top in the fight with his skills + the weight advantage, I think he could prove to be Fedors biggest test.

Jason Mc wrote: »
    methinks someone never saw pride.

I sort of throught afflicitaion was trying to look like pride with the guys lined up at the start, using the ring and having the fighters names displayed up on the stands in lighting.

They probably should have went for Bas and Quadros
    I love the ring personally. Especially the bigger sized one they use in affliction.

lol Punches from a mounted opponent arnt going to do much to any elitle fighter. .

lol, i know that..they did seem to bother Barnett though and put him off his striking a little, so i guess they were an effective enough defense for Yvel while they lasted.

Also i dont think Barnett will mount Fedor as easily as he did Yvel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

In Barnett we have the most well rounded opponent fedor has faced. Check his record, the guys a stud. He's hard to finish, wins by subs and tko's, and is good in every aspect of the game. The guy can put together a gameplan as well.

I don't think Barnett has the speed in his hands the same way AA does to put fedor in trouble on his feet. I think the Fedor/Barnett fight will be won in the clinch, after some looping punches they'll both end up in a hug and who can come out on top will come out on top.

In Barnett we have the most well rounded opponent fedor has faced. Check his record, the guys a stud. He's hard to finish, wins by subs and tko's, and is good in every aspect of the game. The guy can put together a gameplan as well. .

Are you forgetting Nog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Personally I prefer the cage, but there's no denying the ring is astethically better.

I just hate when fighters like Sokoudjou dive through the ropes to escape.

Are you forgetting Nog?
    Nog may go down in the annals of history as the better fighter, but I think Barnett is the more well rounded fighter, due to his better standup and all round defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

Don't see how using a ring is really going to differenciate Affliction from UFC when they have marketed their promo by signing most of UFC's past champs!

If there not ripping off UFC then it's a rip off of Pride! (Using the ring)

I personally just love the atmosphere when that cage doors slams shut.

Don't get me wrong though, what a card just scrap the ring & Tito commentary & they have a sporting chance of competing with UFC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Don't get me wrong though, what a card just scrap the ring & Tito commentary & they have a sporting chance of competing with UFC

lETS NOT FORGET SCRAPPIN FERRELL AND CHUCK ZITO

Advertisement