Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALL Affliction Discussion **Contains Spoilers** Merged Threads -

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Tito commentary

lol. Tito didnt have the best night by any means. Id be inclined to give him a second chance though.

Heres some of his "Titoisms" :pac:

Babalu/Sokoudjou
    "Here we are with Seraldo Babalu, you did an awesome job, saw why you're a black belt in jiu-jitsu, getting an awesome submission there, I want to tell me what you see, let's go ahead and see by the fight, what you saw, in the ring."

"You showed the dominance by getting the takedown and looking for a choke in that position. We know the weakness that you had, but you actually showed the heart and determination of a champion of how tough of a light heavyweight you really are, here in the Affliction card. What do you think of the future of you, um, future opponents?"

"Yes, and uh, my back will be better in about three months, so I know all the fans would love to see me and you get it on. You know what, you're an awesome fighter, congratulations tonight. Everybody lets give a hand to Renato Babalu, one of the greatest light heavyweights, of the night."

Belfort/Lindland
    "Well, Belfort, we saw you with an astonishing left hand, that's the left hand that I used to see you knock people out time and time again, we're gonna go ahead and go over it. Walk me through it, show me exactly what you seen with this."

"Well, like I said, you show your hand-speed time and time again Vitor, 185 pounds, lady and gentlemen, let's give Vitor Belfort a round of applause, an awesome 105 pounder, you just beat the number two guy in the world, buddy, you're on top of the world tonight!"

"Gradulation Vitor Belfort, let's give it back to you Sean."

Barnett/Yvel
    "Well, here we go, we, here we go we got Josh Barnett, with a dominating fashion. Buddy, he said he wanted to stand up with you. You said you wanted to stand up with him. All the gameplans get thrown out and you shown the dominant heavyweight that you are. He wasn't getting away from you. Walk me through the fight."

"Well, alright, we're gonna go ahead show some some action from around one right here. I want you to walk me through and how do you feel as you went through this stuff?"

"Well you should have your head high tonight, you did an awesome job, entertained every one of these fans. You did a great job, I'm proud of you buddy. Keep it up, let's see the winner tonight, you'll be next in line."

"Well, you showed what type of champion you really are. Everybody lets give a hand to Josh Barnett, the baby-faced assassin, continuing his win career. Good job Josh! We'll go back to you Sean."

Fedor/Arlovski
    "I'm gonna have my interpreter here for Fedor Emelianenko. Everybody had questions on what type of heavyweight you were. You've showed it once on Tim Sylvia in 38 seconds. You've done it again against Andrei Arlovski in 3 minutes and 34 seconds. Let me tell you how you feelin right now."

"Well there's always been question from other promotions saying that you weren't the best heavyweight in the world. Well, tonight, buddy, you've answered those questions. You tooken out two of the former UFC heavyweight champions and you are the best heavyweight... in my eyes and I believe every one of these guys' eyes around the world... of tonight..."

"Well, we got to see, actually, Josh Barnett in the last fight, win in a decision. It looks like you two are going to be heading off and another chance for you to defend your heavyweight title. What do you think as Josh as your next opponent?"

"Well the millions that are watching at home and the fifteen thousand and more in audience tonight, ladies and gentlemen, the pound for pound best heavyweight in the world today, Fedor Emelianenko, the last emperor, congratulations buddy."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Don't see how using a ring is really going to differenciate Affliction from UFC when they have marketed their promo by signing most of UFC's past champs!

Funny logic. If you were pretty much forced to copy another organisation in one area wouldn’t that act as rational to make an effort to try and differentiate in another area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I'm just lolling at those Titoisms :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I thought Tito was ok (he's new at it so I'll give him a chance) but his suit... wtf... that was a horrible suit!

He was horribly nevous. Crowd should have STFU booing him and maybe listened to the interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Don't see how using a ring is really going to differenciate Affliction from UFC when they have marketed their promo by signing most of UFC's past champs!

If there not ripping off UFC then it's a rip off of Pride! (Using the ring)

I personally just love the atmosphere when that cage doors slams shut.

Don't get me wrong though, what a card just scrap the ring & Tito commentary & they have a sporting chance of competing with UFC

You know that neither UFC or Pride were the first MMA promotions right?

That's like saying UFC and Pride ripped off Vale Tudo, or any of the other tournaments held in Europe or Japan for decades before Pride or the UFC appeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

ah 1st couple of minutes of the fight I couldt believe how well Arloviski was doing...then he made a mistake..what was he thinking!!! Well I suppose you dont always make the right call in the heat of the moment but I was sure he was on track to winning. He totally dominated Fedor until he was knocked out. I hope somewhere down the line he gets a rematch because I felt that could have been a great fight - no matter who won...as it stands...I think Arklovski can only blame himself for that loss..no matter how good a punch Fedor throw Arlovski shouldnt have been taking risks like that so early

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

Tito was very good during the fights like Joe Rogan,very technical.Seemed very nervous between fights.Crowd was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

You know that neither UFC or Pride were the first MMA promotions right?

That's like saying UFC and Pride ripped off Vale Tudo, or any of the other tournaments held in Europe or Japan for decades before Pride or the UFC appeared.

Ah sure in that case we might as well start talkin bout the pikey fights up the back roads in Finglas! come on man... you know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Some words from Arlovski on the fight.
    “I did pretty good in the first few minutes. But then I tried to do something flashy and paid for it. I have to sit down with myself and figure out why I didn’t listen to my trainers…. Every single jab or right hand, I thought that I hurt him. It was very effective for me. I don’t know why I changed my tactic. One little mistake and I paid for this. All my hard work and training, I just threw it in the toilet. Tonight it was a great opportunity for me to make history. I’m really worried that somebody will beat Fedor. I just want to wish him that he’s wins against all his next opponents until our next match…. He’s a great fighter (but) sooner or later someone will beat him. I’m very upset with myself that I wasn’t that person. You know he’s a human.”

http://www.mmanews.com/other/Andrei-Arlovski-Dwells-On-Loss-To-Fedor-At-Affliction.html

• Advertisement

Ah sure in that case we might as well start talkin bout the pikey fights up the back roads in Finglas! come on man... you know what I mean

I dont think Mitsuya Maeda hit Finglas in his travels

And that compares to Antonio Inoki's fights in Japan in the 70's how?

I know that Pride and the UFC were the first mainstream promotions, but Inoki was fighting MMA in a ring infront of tens of thousands of people, in the 70's.
    Not exactly a back alley brawl.;)

rovert wrote: »
    I dont think Mitsuya Maeda hit Finglas in his travels

Ahh, Count Combat.
    The daddy of them all!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Turbo_diesel

Anyone hear how the PPV went for this was the event a success in the US? That was some payout to Arlovski cant believe Fedor only got 300g??
    How do the fighters payouts comapare to the UFC? Wonder if Dana is getting worried about the competiton?Great to see Big John back alright. The man looks like he could take some of the fighters!

Anyone hear how the PPV went for this was the event a success in the US? That was some payout to Arlovski cant believe Fedor only got 300g??
    How do the fighters payouts comapare to the UFC? Wonder if Dana is getting worried about the competiton?Great to see Big John back alright. The man looks like he could take some of the fighters!

Please dont take this wrong way but most of this information is already posted in this thread a page or so back.

Please dont take this wrong way but most of this information is already posted in this thread a page or so back.

Cheers chief seen the info on fighters payouts but nothin on PPV figures etc.

Cheers chief seen the info on fighters payouts but nothin on PPV figures etc.

It is too early for that.

Fedor received a huge signing bonus that is why is basic payoff is so low.

Dana isn’t overly worried but UFC's uniform business practice is to cut the legs from under competitors. UFC counter programmed against the PPV by airing the episodes of the St.Pierre/BJ Penn hype specials along with UFC 91 for free on Spike TV.

Dana isn’t overly worried but UFC's uniform business practice is to cut the legs from under competitors. UFC counter programmed against the PPV by airing the episodes of the St.Pierre/BJ Penn hype specials along with UFC 91 for free on Spike TV.

Fairly ruthless streak from the UFC thought there would be enough money for both organisiations.

Decent article about the event on here
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/afflictions-hits-and-misses-15944

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Add the WEC event too, they are Zuffa controlled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Have the numbers been released anywhere yet?

Will Affliction get one more PPV?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Add the WEC event too, they are Zuffa controlled.

WEC was Sunday night I thought.

Have the numbers been released anywhere yet?

Will Affliction get one more PPV?

Again too early

They are waiting on the numbers. They havent announced another date or a future fight.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »

Sunday

UFC counter programming against Affliction worked pretty well:
    UFC 91 REPLAY ON SPIKE TV PEAKS AT 3.3 MILLION VIEWERS FOR BROCK LESNAR vs. RANDY COUTURE

UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar can now add television ratings champion to his resume. Spike TV’s replay of UFC 91 (originally airing on Pay Per View on November 15) featuring UFC legend Randy Couture vs. Lesnar was the highest rated show among Men 18-34 in all of television (broadcast or cable) in its timeslot on Saturday, January 24 (9:00-11:30pm ET/PT). UFC 91 peaked at 3.3 million viewers at 11:15pm for the Lesnar victory ending in a second round TKO. The entire fight card, which included exciting victories for lightweight contender Kenny Florian and heavyweight hopeful Gabriel Gonzaga, averaged 2.3 million viewers for the 2.5 hour telecast, easily making UFC 91 the most-watched taped UFC event in network history.

Overall, UFC 91 on Spike TV drew a 1.7 household rating and a 1.8 among M18-49 (991,000), a 1.8 among M18-34 (508,000) and had an average audience of 2.3 million viewers.

Anyone else notice The Great One shaking his head in frustration only seconds before KO'ing AA?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Mossy Monk wrote: »

It was but its proximity to the event was part of counter programming IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Anyone else notice The Great One shaking his head in frustration only seconds before KO'ing AA?!
    The Rock was there:eek::p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Anyone else notice that the announcer looked like he was trying to eat his own lips?

Advertisement