Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making services known on boards/advertising.

Options
  • 24-01-2009 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,just a quick one on the usual rule for letting people know about your services/work.
    Is it ok to come on to boards and start telling people you do X and Y ,inviting people to message you for details ?

I notice some people suggest they are this and that in their signature ,but I can't see that they have paid for advertising.

Is there anyway that in the future ,a person who registers as a company on the site ,pay a small amount as registration and their account/name or stars are a different colour.
    At least paying by credit card or something is proof of who the user is.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,229 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

..as in change the signature rules so you cant solicit unless youre a subscriber?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

311 wrote: »
    Hello ,just a quick one on the usual rule for letting people know about your services/work.
    Is it ok to come on to boards and start telling people you do X and Y ,inviting people to message you for details ?

I notice some people suggest they are this and that in their signature ,but I can't see that they have paid for advertising.

Is there anyway that in the future ,a person who registers as a company on the site ,pay a small amount as registration and their account/name or stars are a different colour.
    At least paying by credit card or something is proof of who the user is.
    As far as I've seen here, it's ok to put a subtle link in your sig or to promote your services in answer to a request with the proviso that you are an established poster and your reason for being on boards is not to pimp your business.
    If someone contributes to the community with the majority of their posts then it's reasonable to expect that if someone posts looking for a carpenter then they can respond and say 'hey, I'm a carpenter, pm me for details'.
    If it's their sole purpose for being here then they'll be told to GTFO and probably be sitebanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks steveC ,that answers the question I had. My post wasn't about the contributors to the forums ,but the newish users say since november 2008.
    There even seems to be a shill on the DIY forum at the moment ,providing themselves with an opening to let their expertise known.

If someone is going to try and dominate the forum with their business ,the least they can do is advertise and be honest about it.:(
    Roll on the links to threads jargon ,I won't post any links it's quite clear who I'm talking about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What SteveC said, if someone asks then you should be fine to respond.
    There even seems to be a shill on the DIY forum at the moment ,providing themselves with an opening to let their expertise known.

Report any posts you feel are shill-like, mods don't always have time to read every post so it's a great help when users report such occurrences.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

As above, underhanded advertising isn't on, but a placed sig link is acceptable. Report anything you think is a grey area and we'll have a look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ive often taken phone calls from boardsies that have problems with their renewable energy systems. I dont charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Thanks steveC ,that answers the question I had. My post wasn't about the contributors to the forums ,but the newish users say since november 2008.

If someone is going to try and dominate the forum with their business ,the least they can do is advertise and be honest about it.:(
    Roll on the links to threads jargon ,I won't post any links it's quite clear who I'm talking about.
    if he's just trying to provide good solid advice, and get's a pm or two for nixers, well and good i'd say! nobody's going to make there millions off posting on boards. but as said, if he's just hanging about specifically to say "pm me" then he hasn't done anything to warrant the essentially free advertising he's receiving.

Advertisement