Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kits similar to John Bull?

• 24-01-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭

I have heard John Bull has ceased trading :(

Has anyone come across a similar lager to the John Bull lager (the one with the union flag on the kit)?

I have tried most of the Munton's Premium Lagers etc.. and wasn't to impressed.. Trying to find a replacement ...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

any all malt give have got a good reputation such as these

http://thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_17

Hope this is of help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

I've used Tom Caxton a fair bit, never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Thanks, I'll order some Caxton's then..

I found the Munton's a bit too dark and almost ale like for me.. Wanted something closer to an actual pub pint..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Welease wrote: »
    I found the Munton's a bit too dark and almost ale like for me
    That's because it is an ale. Lager requires the sort of temperature controlling equipment that people just won't have at home (unless they're very serious home brewers). So the kit makers just throw in an ale yeast that will ferment at room temperatures and call it a "lager" kit so people who drink commercial lagers will buy it. It's a scam, basically.
    Welease wrote: »
    Wanted something closer to an actual pub pint..
    You won't make something resembling a pint of pub lager at home with basic homebrew gear, and certainly not from a kit. You can make great stouts, good ales, and passable wheat beers, but if you want pale fizzy lager you're better off buying it pre-made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

BeerNut wrote: »
    That's because it is an ale. Lager requires the sort of temperature controlling equipment that people just won't have at home (unless they're very serious home brewers). So the kit makers just throw in an ale yeast that will ferment at room temperatures and call it a "lager" kit so people who drink commercial lagers will buy it. It's a scam, basically.

You won't make something resembling a pint of pub lager at home with basic homebrew gear, and certainly not from a kit. You can make great stouts, good ales, and passable wheat beers, but if you want pale fizzy lager you're better off buying it pre-made.

Ahh thats interesting, i am pretty new to homebrewing, and have mainly stuck with ciders for the last six months, plus the odd barrell of John Bull. I didn't know there would be such a difference in making "traditional" lager.

It's not exactly fizzy pub rubbish i wanted just something a little lighter than a dark ale/lager hybrid that I got with Munton's :)

I did try a Cerveza (might have been a Caxton's) a few months ago, and it's wasnt bad, but obviously the taste was slightly different, and I have a barrel of Muntons Pilsner conditioning at the moment.. the search goes on :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭silversurfer

Tom Caxton's will give you a nice larger, I used to get it shipped from UK, but it's available in Ireland now.
    Would suggest you use a heater for the beer to keep the temperature constant for brewing the in the 5 gallon container. I just cut a hole in the top of the container and have the heater suspended in the beer mix.
    The fizz will be a result of the sugar put into each bottle at bottle capping, I usually use about 1/2 a tea spoon, still get a nice bit of fizz.
    Obviously the longer you leave it the clearer it will get.

s

Advertisement