Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6 MPS Info

• 24-01-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Anyone any experience of the mazda 6 mps.
    ie reliability, driving, fuel consumption, residuals etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

DF1 wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of the mazda 6 mps.
    ie reliability, driving, fuel consumption, residuals etc.

Watching topgear tonight were we ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DF1

:):):):):)

Seems like a very underrated car, had it in me head to look for an m3 for the last 6 months or so after taking a spin in one but I think the mps may be worth a look.

DF1 wrote: »
    :):):):):)

Seems like a very underrated car, had it in me head to look for an m3 for the last 6 months or so after taking a spin in one but I think the ps may be worth a look.

Indeed, good feedback on it alright. The vectra caused no suprise's :pac:

No info on it from myside but best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

can anyone tell me which episode was that please

ahmed89 wrote: »
    can anyone tell me which episode was that please

Twas on RTE2 there was 2 back to back, think iot was the one with the caravan holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my mate has the smaller mazda 3 MPS. its a fantastic car imo
    unbelievable power and performance, i rated it very similar to my mancer evo 5 when in standard trim. (260bhp 2WD Vs 280bhp 4WD)

is the mazda 6 using the same engine as the 3MPs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Mazda 3 MPS gets a terrible review on Honest John - it says that the 260 bhp is too much for front wheel drive, and that the car is constantly fighting for grip, even on good surfaces. Also, the driveshafts are of unequal length, which produces torque steer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ned78 wrote: »
    The Mazda 3 MPS gets a terrible review on Honest John - it says that the 260 bhp is too much for front wheel drive, and that the car is constantly fighting for grip, even on good surfaces. Also, the driveshafts are of unequal length, which produces torque steer.

ive read the review s alright and on paper 260 bhp is way too much for the little FWD car, but in reality it handles great and i didnt notice any and i really mean that tprqusteer!

didnt spin through the gears and on the backroads out by me it was a flyer!
    now i would drive it hard in the damp or the wet, thats where the 4WD of the 6mps would out shine it.

would love a spin in a 6 to compare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Seriously underrated car IMO. Dunno why anyone would bother with the 3 MPS tho when the 6 is so much better looking & has AWD to handle the power (and banish the torque steer).

I had a regular 6 (1.8) and can only imagine what it would be like +140bhp and 4wd:D. The standard car is such a great handler it has to be a great basis for a sports saloon (and without the boy-racer image of an Evo, Impreza etc.)

It got great press reviews but was then ignored, a real sleeper. I think maybe it falls between 2 stools - not lairy or loud enough for the Max Power brigade, not 'German' enough for the Autocars et al. (which makes it just about perfect I think;)...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

There's a lot of tripe on Honest John. I'd trust the report from Autocar who have had one in their long term fleet and rated it highly.
    The 6 MPS is decent though. I'd have either if I could, but the 6 would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Omega man (i think?) has a mps 3 - same engine. He might be about, if you need any info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I have only seen 3 6 MPS's in Ireland (1 in Sligo and 2 in Belfast) so they are pretty rare, never had the pleasure of driving one but I own a 3 MPS, also not the most common to see around.

I can only comment with regard to the 3, but just noticing comments about torque steer and grip! firstly the grip is great in the corners (bit of understeer but the slightest tap on the brakes brings it under control) and torque steer is not really an issue with traction control on, Mazda's systems limits the power in 1st and 2nd and the limited slip diff takes care of any surface irregularities. In comparison with the 240 bhp Astra VXR/OPC the torque steer in the MPS is barely noticable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The vectra caused no suprise's :pac:

The amount of understeer was funny and probably quite scary when your actually in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭omega man

I have only seen 3 6 MPS's in Ireland (1 in Sligo and 2 in Belfast) so they are pretty rare, never had the pleasure of driving one but I own a 3 MPS, also not the most common to see around.

I can only comment with regard to the 3, but just noticing comments about torque steer and grip! firstly the grip is great in the corners (bit of understeer but the slightest tap on the brakes brings it under control) and torque steer is not really an issue with traction control on, Mazda's systems limits the power in 1st and 2nd and the limited slip diff takes care of any surface irregularities. In comparison with the 240 bhp Astra VXR/OPC the torque steer in the MPS is barely noticable.

+1 as another 3 MPS owner. As stealthyspeed says Mazda put a whole lot of thought into the fwd/power issue. If anything they put so much into the engineering that they had to reduce costs at the cars exteriors loss (although this was one of the reasons i bought it). OP, reliablity is usual mazda standard. I have had my 3 MPS almost a year and a half with zero problems. Reasonable service costs and decent fuel economy (29mpg avg) for the type of engine also. Again, tax/insurance ok for the performance you will get. The 6 MPS is a nice looking car and will still do 0-100km in 6.5 which aint bad for a biggish 4wd saloon. The new one will be out soon (2.5 280bhp 4wd) so you could probably pick up an outgoing model at a good price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I see a lot of people mentioning Honest John for review cars. Parkers.co.uk is another one and IMO it's better as its clearer and you can read reviews about every differant engine model.

According to Parkers the 2.3T AWD 4d MPS:

0-60: 6.4s,
    Top Speed: 149mph,
    256bhp,
    27MPG,
    CO2 Emissions: 245g/km

Its insurance group in the UK is Group 16 compared to Group 7 for the normal 1.8L Mazda 6 and Group 8 for the 2.0L Diesel.

The review on Parkers gave it 3.5 - 5 stars on everything except running cost and Green Credentials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

They are fantastic cars, one of the best sleepers around! .. I would really like to own one at some stage

Its a nice compromise between a comfortable saloon car with leather & toys etc and a bare bone Evo Or WRX

.. without the Skanger stigma and also more comfotable and a rarer sight too.

There is an absolutely lovely grey one on carzone:

07 with 13k for 18950e !
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/2.3-AWD-/200904191600119/advert

However, the next one up is a

07 with 34k for 22950e !
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/Mazda6/2.3-AWD-/200904191600119/advert

I wonder is there something dodgy about the first one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madwj

I bought the mazda 6 mps last april 07 and i can say its one of the best cars i have ever driven the power and speed is overwhelming, i am going to mondello next week to try out the Maxda3 mps but there will be no comparasion..funny i found this thread as i was looking for garages with higher octane rating on a previous board..maxol with its 99 octane E5 seems to be the only one but its in Mitchelstown and im in cobh big drive for higher octane fuel but i think its worth it as i find gives extra boost of power from the e5 however is it good for my engine in the long term anyone know the answer.. i kinda have to use 98 octane + for the turbo

some details on the MPS
    the Mazda 6 mps uses a turbocharged 2.3Lt direct injection producing 256 BHp 280lb-ft of toque.
    max speed 149mph
    2261 cc
    6 speed
    4 wheel drive 18" wheels
    0-60pmh 6.4 secs
    torque 380nm
    all leather
    Bose speakers
    A/C

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Also, the driveshafts are of unequal length, which produces torque steer.

Virtually all FWD cars have unequal length driveshafts, certainly all modern FWD cars with transverse engines.
    Yes the original Mini was FWD and had a transverse engine with equal length driveshafts by virtue of the gearbox being mounted in the sump but think about the now more conventional layout of engine and gearbox side by side, you have to have unequal length driveshafts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

madwj wrote: »
    I bought the mazda 6 mps last april 07 and i can say its one of the best cars i have ever driven the power and speed is overwhelming, i am going to mondello next week to try out the Maxda3 mps but there will be no comparasion..funny i found this thread as i was looking for garages with higher octane rating on a previous board..maxol with its 99 octane E5 seems to be the only one but its in Mitchelstown and im in cobh big drive for higher octane fuel but i think its worth it as i find gives extra boost of power from the e5 however is it good for my engine in the long term anyone know the answer.. i kinda have to use 98 octane + for the turbo

some details on the MPS
    the Mazda 6 mps uses a turbocharged 2.3Lt direct injection producing 256 BHp 280lb-ft of toque.
    max speed 149mph
    2261 cc
    6 speed
    4 wheel drive 18" wheels
    0-60pmh 6.4 secs
    torque 380nm
    all leather
    Bose speakers
    A/C

The Mazda 3's they have in Mondello aren't MPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 madwj

youve just burst my bubble i thouught they were what are they

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

hold on, on the bubble bursting...there are mazda 3 mps' in mondello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

madwj wrote: »
    some details on the MPS
    max speed 149mph
    2261 cc
    6 speed
    4 wheel drive 18" wheels
    0-60pmh 6.4 secs
    torque 380nm
    all leather
    Bose speakers
    A/C

Stoppit, you're making me jealous and am pondering the wisdom of having bought a Scooby diesel for almost twice the cost of that cheaper 6. OTOH think I'd rather not have that temptation under my right foot!

Dunno why everyone keeps dragging the 3 MPS into it. I have a soft spot for Mazdas but wouldn't fancy all that power + FWD. Disappointing they're keeping the same formula for the new model -
    Improved looks+AWD+Mazda's usual dynamic excellence would equal one HELL of a car.
    The 6 is where it's at for MPS motoring though - AWD and sleek looks (I'd even forgive the plastic grill). Wonder if they'll go ahead with an MPS of the new 6?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

oh its just when i was there, i drove one. but i was with mazda ireland and someone told me they were being kept there. i was misinformend!

and while we're on the subject, here is the new 3mps. dont think it will ever be sold in ireland considering the strife they had getting rid of the left over old model ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

OP get the M3 solves all the problems. The depreciation on a 6 MPS alone rules it out.

Advertisement