Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will Greystones harbour be finished?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Anyone know roughly when?

ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Think it will be about 5 years untill its all the elements are complete.
    The harbour and some of the club houses should be built within 1.5-2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Think it will be about 5 years untill its all the elements are complete.
    The harbour and some of the club houses should be built within 1.5-2 years.

Thanks mate. Was sitting in the beach house yesterday wondering how long it would take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Bart Wilson

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly when?

ta

The word on the street is that Sispar have run out of funding for the project and that it is to be suspended indefinately. Looks like the harbour will never be finished now.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The word on the street is that Sispar have run out of funding for the project and that it is to be suspended indefinately. Looks like the harbour will never be finished now.:eek:
    I doubt it very much with all the preparation work that's been done already.
    Look at all those concrete blocks ready in the staging area for instance. I'm assuming that the reason there doesn't seem to be much progress is that they need to get every single on of those blocks ready first before they bring in the equipment (floating cranes) to put them in place, so that they can do that part of the operation in one go. It's very often the case with big construction projects like this that nothing appears to be happening for ages, but then all of a sudden a lot of apparent progress is made, whereas in fact there's been quite a lot of preliminary work being done that doesn't have much obvious visual impact to the casual observer.

Alun wrote: »
    I doubt it very much with all the preparation work that's been done already.
    Look at all those concrete blocks ready in the staging area for instance. I'm assuming that the reason there doesn't seem to be much progress is that they need to get every single on of those blocks ready first before they bring in the equipment (floating cranes) to put them in place, so that they can do that part of the operation in one go. It's very often the case with big construction projects like this that nothing appears to be happening for ages, but then all of a sudden a lot of apparent progress is made, whereas in fact there's been quite a lot of preliminary work being done that doesn't have much obvious visual impact to the casual observer.

But we are in the mist of an economic depression with no demand for property and no funding available. The development as costed back in 2006 during the property bubble could not possibly be a going concern. No, I fear the talk is true and the project is finished.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Or perhaps you're trolling?

Care to divulge your source?

It looks to me like yet another development thread is being derailed...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

But we are in the mist of an economic depression

I think the only mist here is in front of your eyes :rolleyes:

As the previous poster said, it's not always readily apparent that a big job is on track and going well (as Greystones harbour is...).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

But we are in the mist of an economic depression with no demand for property and no funding available. The development as costed back in 2006 during the property bubble could not possibly be a going concern. No, I fear the talk is true and the project is finished.:eek:

of course there is demand for property - its affording the property that is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭RAMPAGE1

I don't remember Malahide Marina being built during the celtic tiger and the difference that has made to malahide is huge

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

a friend of mine that works for sisk has told be the apertments arent goin ahead for now anyways

• Advertisement

Rumours are a dime a dozen. If there is nothing concrete (no pun intended) no point in keeping the thread open...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

slickmcvic wrote: »
    a friend of mine that works for sisk has told be the apertments arent goin ahead for now anyways

Houses, smouses... WE WANT MORE PUBS!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 santo

I heard that the project might be on the rocks too. Just rumours at the moment though...

Source:
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15879&sid=673d478513253b9e884e0964f3f7a103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭future_plans

I agree that rumors are just rumors and I certainly hope that's all they are. Most likely the truth is somewhere in the middle. There is little point in the developers motoring ahead with the apartments, so it could be very tru that they won't be built within the initial time scale. However, it's very unlikely that the harbour part wouldn't be completed in the mean time. Perhaps they have tightened the belts a bit on the project and hence that is why there are fewer people working, etc. All speculation though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭SJPRogue

I hope that they have to scale back the project.
    Greystones harbour used to be a great amenity. It was a nice Victorian harbour that people used to be able to swim in and that fishermen were actually able to use for their fishing boats.

Then they (thcounty council) towed in the round base of a lighthouse and put it at the end of the pier, the consequence being that the harbour started silting up, eventually becoming unusable.

They should improve the old harbour, dredge it and fix the piers. It's always been nice coming into Greystones from Bray and seeing the old harbour there. It's a pity they are putting in this developer-led characterless, modern concrete thing instead.

If one good thing comes from the recession, hopefully it will be a money-shortage driven rethink of the project. Maybe then they'll take into account the 6000 planning objectors' concerns who were ignored the first time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

SJPRogue wrote: »
    I hope that they have to scale back the project.
    Greystones harbour used to be a great amenity. It was a nice Victorian harbour that people used to be able to swim in and that fishermen were actually able to use for their fishing boats.

Then they (thcounty council) towed in the round base of a lighthouse and put it at the end of the pier, the consequence being that the harbour started silting up, eventually becoming unusable.

They should improve the old harbour, dredge it and fix the piers. It's always been nice coming into Greystones from Bray and seeing the old harbour there. It's a pity they are putting in this developer-led characterless, modern concrete thing instead.

If one good thing comes from the recession, hopefully it will be a money-shortage driven rethink of the project. Maybe then they'll take into account the 6000 planning objectors' concerns who were ignored the first time round.

This project will go ahead from what I know, and the only delays to it are being caused by the weather.

This project will go ahead from what I know, and the only delays to it are being caused by the weather.

The weather over the the Winter has generally been fantastic - dry, cold and frosty. How can the weather be used as an excuse for the major delays with the project? :confused:

The storm of the worldwide economic recession is impacting on all development projects in the country. Throughout the land building sites are being abandoned by developers who have run out of funding from the once generous banks. Why would the Greystones Harbour project be any different?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

The weather over the the Winter has generally been fantastic - dry, cold and frosty.

The build of this project didn't start in the winter. There were huge storms & sea swells before the winter that delayed the project by weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I have many good memories down at the old harbour but I have an open mind as to whether the project will improve the area aesthetically and as an amenity.

However, nobody can tell me that putting in a few extra sets of lights and a one way system is going to remedy the traffic situation once the project is completed. The volume of traffic will simply be too great.This leads me to believe that a new road will be built down across the green belt from the top of windgates to the harbour as no other option will be available.

The build of this project didn't start in the winter. There were huge storms & sea swells before the winter that delayed the project by weeks

Actually the build actually started about a year ago and worringly they seem to have very little to show for it so far.:confused:

With all the experts at their disposal one would have expected that Sispar would have managed at least get their breakwater engineering correct. Alas no! It would appear than a mild summer 'storm' was enough to wreck their plans by shifting the blocks in the wall. I really do hope that at the very least they will still manage to construct an acceptable breakwater and marina.

• Advertisement

After 16 months work the harbour project is now about 5 months behind schedule. The main contractor has dissapeared off the site leaving a subcontractor to carry out the marine works. This has raised significant fears among locals that the project may in fact be abandoned.:eek:

The concerns of local people have been put to Wicklow County Council by Councillor Tom Fortune in a letter to Sean Quirke as follows:
    Dear Sean,

There is a lot of concern and frustration amongst residents concerning the Harbour Project and the management of same. At their request I met with them during the week, where they raised a number of issues.. I have set these out below and I would be obliged if you would respond at your earliest convenience.

Hours of operation.
    It is their understanding that the planning permission granted by An Bord Pleanala limited the hours during which construction work can take place. However, they tell me that work regularly begins before 7am and continues until as late as 2am. I have witnessed work being carried on at 11.30pm. In addition this takes place without notification to the residents. I appreciate that the planning permission may allow some leeway with regard to working hours.

Can you therefore confirm to me on their behalf:
    • Whether flexibility in working hours is permitted and what is the extent of this flexibility
    • Under what circumstances is it permitted
    • Whether the local authority must authorise any variations and if so what process must be completed.
    • Why it is not possible to advise the local residents and agree a schedule with them in advance.

Coastal erosion.
    It is the residents understanding that the reports prepared for the Oral Hearings confirmed that the installation of significant North breakwater would generate erosion of beach material and that a beach nourishment program would be needed to sustain the beach. Local residents are of the opinion that this process is already quite advanced as a result of the construction of the temporary breakwater which has been in place for some time now. The residents believe they have not received a satisfactory response.

Can you please advise:
    • Whether any erosion has taken place
    • Whether the material put in place on the North Beach about a year ago is still in situ.
    They would also appreciate if you would advise me of what, if any, surveys have been carried out to support your response and indeed would appreciate if you would supply me with a copy of the reports on those surveys.

Delay in construction.
    At a recent Liaison Meeting it was confirmed that the project is four months behind schedule, and it was also stated that this time gap would be ‘caught up’, can you advise how this catch up will be achieved? And also can the residents have details.

Hoarding
    Residents say that at the oral hearing it was stated that the hoarding around the old harbour would be in place for 20 months. Based on that timescale it would be expected that it would be removed in August 2009. The residents are asking for confirmation that this deadline will be adhered to?

Roads & Footpaths
    The road is in a terrible condition. There are pot-holes; it is especially very dangerous at the railway bridge. The footpaths are ruined with silt and are dangerous. The shores on the road are also full of silt as are the shores at the homes of the Bertram families. This needs to be dealt with immediately.

Completion of the project
    There is general anxiety that the project be completed on time, so driven by this desire, the current economic climate has raised very serious concerns among a large number of the residents in Greystones about the future of this project. While they for the most part objected to the scale of this project, have come to accept it as a reality. However there are now great fears that the project will not be completed.

Specifically they have two concerns:
    • That the engineering firm (Sisk) will run out of funds to complete the project as many developers have done around the country
    • The success of the project is dependent on the sale of some 340 apartments and commercial units. Clearly there is no hope of selling any of these in the immediate future with house sales in the country at a virtual standstill. In the medium to long term sales may be possible but these will almost certainly be at a greatly reduced price.

There is concern that either of these factors could lead to the abandonment of the project, with Greystones being left with a major eyesore perhaps for many years to come. This is an outcome no-one wants, irrespective of their views on the project.
    The residents believe you must have discussed the above concerns or something similar with the developers. They would be obliged if you would come back to me regarding these concerns.

Thank you and I look forward to a response to these serious issues on behalf of the residents.

Regards

Is anyone surprised ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

The main contractor has dissapeared off the site leaving a subcontractor to carry out the marine works.
    Are you sure???
    work regularly begins before 7am and continues until as late as 2am.
    I think we have all seen this. At least it speeds up the process.
    The success of the project is dependent on the sale of some 340 apartments and commercial units
    I may be wrong, but I think the apartments will sell like hot cakes. There is still money around and they will have sea views etc.

The commercial units will be an issue I think. Greystones and the general area has been awash with empty commercial units for years now.
    Is anyone surprised ?
    I am surprised TBH

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

This isn't a troll!

It strikes me there would be a certain amount of irony if one or other of the developers went bust due to the economic collapse of the construction industry in Ireland and because they were delayed by the vitriolic opposition of the numerous objectors, the harbour was left in a state of upheaval. If they had started two years ago, it would be finished by now (at least the harbour and marina would be up and running).

Dyflin wrote: »
    This isn't a troll!

It strikes me there would be a certain amount of irony if one or other of the developers went bust due to the economic collapse of the construction industry in Ireland and because they were delayed by the vitriolic opposition of the numerous objectors, the harbour was left in a state of upheaval. If they had started two years ago, it would be finished by now (at least the harbour and marina would be up and running).

There was a reason for the "numerous objectors", the reason being most people didn't want it, for numerous reasons, one being, that for one reason or another it would take years and wouldn't be finished as promised.

There's no point arguing about the how or why of when construction started. The simple fact of the matter is that the planning process takes as long as it has to take.

Either side claiming that what they want is what "most people" want has been done to death here and has always led to the inevitable closure of threads relating to development in Greystones, the Harbour in particular (and, by no coincidence, the most bans).

What you call "Vitriolic opposition", Dyflin, others may call "passionate objection".

Now, with all that said, please try to keep any further discussion on the question asked and leave any discussion of the rights and wrongs of the development out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

The main contractor has dissapeared off the site leaving a subcontractor to carry out the marine works.

This is completely untrue.

The marina is due to complete by mid summer next year with the retail & residential aspects to follow on from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Originally Posted by Bart Wilson

RIRI wrote: »
    This is completely untrue.

The marina is due to complete by mid summer next year with the retail & residential aspects to follow on from there.

It would be helpful if posts that claim to bring unreported news, or which claim to make corrections to wrongly reported information, would cite some kind of source or affiliation.

With neither, it's kind of pointless trying to persuade anyone of your "facts".

Just anything, like, "I heard this from the contractor/a councilor/a harbour resident/a radio news report", would help readers decide if it's worth minding. A link or citation to a published source would obviously be much better, but throw us a bone here. Thanks.

It would be helpful if posts that claim to bring unreported news, or which claim to make corrections to wrongly reported information, would cite some kind of source or affiliation.

With neither, it's kind of pointless trying to persuade anyone of your "facts".

Just anything, like, "I heard this from the contractor/a councilor/a harbour resident/a radio news report", would help readers decide if it's worth minding. A link or citation to a published source would obviously be much better, but throw us a bone here. Thanks.

The letter from Councillor Tom Fortune to Sean Quirke referred to in my posting was an actual letter. Tom Fortune is the source of the letter! When a reply is eventually received from Sean Quirke perhaps it might throw some light on the mysterious goings on at Greystones Harbour and enlighten everyone as to the future prospects of this hapless badly timed development.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

I may have mis-read but I believe that I quoted your own words there Bart Wilson and not the body of the letter sent to the council - though I stand open to correction.

The developer has a phone number for information relating to the project and the website is www.greystonesharbour.ie - again I may be wrong but I believe it was here I read the information relating to the timeline, I think it was in the minutes of one of the meetings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement