Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't like course - what to do?

Options
  • 24-01-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I'm a first year student in Media Arts. I like my classmates, and the general relaxed feel of the course but really and truly I don't have an interest in the media. I shouldn't have done it and I'm surprised its taken me this long to uncover the reason for my lack of enthusiasm.

Audio was the only part of Media Arts I really enjoyed. I'm looking into sound engineering, or something to do with sound (I love music but I've no musical talent). I'd really like to stay in Aungier Street, are there any such courses.

I'm annoyed that I'll basically have wasted a year. I also don't relish the thought of telling my parents.

Any advice from fellow DITers?

Could the career guidance person help me decide what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well i can't give you much advice but if i was in your situation i would:

try and complete year 1 of your course and pass it. it's too late for you to quit now and get back your capatation fee put into another course so if you quit now you lose that and basically bum around for the next semester, whereas if you complete year 1 it will go towards you getting into another course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

There's an audio engineering course around Aungier Street - Rathmines area.

What you should do is go directly up Aungier Street, into George's Street, and there's a Walton's music store. Ask one of the shopkeepers about the audio course. I one of these guys simply knows all his stuff ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Thanks for the replies.
    I did quite well in my Leaving Cert so getting into another course shouldn't be a problem. I am in two minds about whether to continue the course. I could drop out and get a few pound together working, or I could complete it and see if it grows on me. Its further complicated by the fact that I'm almost 100% sure I failed an xmas exam which would have to be repeated in the summer, so I've no idea how that would work with changing courses.

Experimental: Do you mean that you work in waltons and you do the audio course, or that waltons have their own audio course? I think the first but I'm not entirely sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Joebits

disssco wrote: »

Could the career guidance person help me decide what to do?

Yes go and see them, they are very helpful. I thought they were, they are very nice and understanding. Make an appontment asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

disssco wrote: »

Experimental: Do you mean that you work in waltons and you do the audio course, or that waltons have their own audio course? I think the first but I'm not entirely sure!

Walton's has links to audio production courses, that shop always advertises them and music lessons. I don't work in Walton's at all, I'm an occasional visitor. I know some guy who did the course itself, it was around Rathmines (not DIT, some private course)

• Advertisement
Advertisement