Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Lcd

• 24-01-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I just recieved delivery of a new Sony KDL 32 U 4000 LCD tv today. I set it up and I thought the picture looked a little "grainy" or not exactly what I would call very clear, but that was with reception with my aerial. So then I turned on the satellite reciever to watch the live FA Cup game and it was just as bad if not worse. I had an ordiary 25 in CRT tv before this and the picture was miles better. I do plan to buy a HD satellite reciever eventually but not if that is what LCD tv's are like.
    So should I bring it back to the nearest shop in the chain (40 miles away) as I had this delivered by courier (45 euro ) or are LCD tv's not as good a picture as CRT?????:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

HDTVs only have great quality for HD signals, with SD receptions you get the same effect as in youtube where you stretch the size of the screen of the computer. The grainy effect is the HDTV trying to compensate for the much smaller number of pixels streched across the screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

HDTVs only have great quality for HD signals, with SD receptions you get the same effect as in youtube where you stretch the size of the screen of the computer. The grainy effect is the HDTV trying to compensate for the much smaller number of pixels streched across the screen

Yes I understand, but my Dad has an Acoustics Soloutions 32 inch, a much cheaper brand and seems to have a clearly better picture than me even with the same satellite set up...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

It could be an issue with the signal you're sending to the TV or it could be that there's some sort of picture processing turned on in the menus in the TV. Check the manual which came with the tv and try it with and without any picture processing available. You should also turn down the contrast and brightness to below half-way - at factory default settings these are usually set so that the tv looks very bright and colourful so it will stand out in a bright tv showroom full of other tvs. Also check that the scart (I presume) cable you're using is well connected. If you're using an aerial cable, make sure that it's working well, no dodgy connections.

I've just had a look at the manual of the tv - check page 20, Picture Adjustment, and try the suggestions above.

Also try playing a dvd on the TV - see if the picture is the same as your tv signal.

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

The Ritz wrote: »
    It could be an issue with the signal you're sending to the TV or it could be that there's some sort of picture processing turned on in the menus in the TV. Check the manual which came with the tv and try it with and without any picture processing available. You should also turn down the contrast and brightness to below half-way - at factory default settings these are usually set so that the tv looks very bright and colourful so it will stand out in a bright tv showroom full of other tvs. Also check that the scart (I presume) cable you're using is well connected. If you're using an aerial cable, make sure that it's working well, no dodgy connections.

I've just had a look at the manual of the tv - check page 20, Picture Adjustment, and try the suggestions above.

Also try playing a dvd on the TV - see if the picture is the same as your tv signal.

Ritz.

Ok-thanks for everything The Ritz. Will try it and see what happens..thanks again

Advertisement