Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipt Credit note issue

Options
  • 24-01-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got a present of a jumper of for xmas. It was from Diffney on Hendry/Mary st. Anyway, the jumper was the wrong size and I was to go about to change it. I hadn't bothered about changing it till there this evening as I was doing exams and has no time really.

I went in anyway and the receipt was €72 for the jumper but said there was a 21day return policy for the jumper. Obviously I was over the limit but I thought I might as well try it as I felt most stores with any sense of customer relations management world oblige me.

I got talking to the store manager afaik and he said he would only give me €36 euro credit note (1/2 price) as there was a half price sale on now and he can never sell that jumper for the price I paid for it. Anyway, he goes on t say that if they do come back in it could be retailing for 80-100 euros. But all it was woth to him was €36

Okay, so my point is. Is this policy of 21day return standard? And him offering €36 credit note he more that he has to do?

Tbh, it sickened me the way he went about dealing with this. He was rude an arrogant and basically showed no understanding of the situation. He kept repeating that it would cost him money to refund the full value on credit note. He didn't seem to consider anything but the immediate profit or / minimal loss of the situation.

Anyway, just looking for thoughts on the situation and making a slight rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

He The store is not obliged to do anything, legally, as you have no legal recourse when it comes to changing something because of the colour, size, etc. Anything they offer is up to them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As Karoma says, unless there is something wrong with the product they technically don't have to do anything at all.

If you really want to push them, send a letter to their head office saying you consider the customer service to be below par and you will tell all your friends to avoid them. DO NOT THREATEN THEM WITH LIVELINE! :)

I keep saying, the only thing companies care about is things which cost them money.

Be aware that, technically, they have done nothing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

Thanks lads, Its what i assumed.

Basically it has me pretty fustrated as I spend my time studying CRM for the exams lol

I had thought about writing a letter,and think I will. The approach he took was so fustrating and patronizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I put it to you his attitude was patronizing as you didn't get what you wanted,

Please consider for one minute if the manager dealt with you in the exact same manner as he was issuing you with a full refund.

Can I ask why you didn't consider exchanging your jumper for one of the others discounted in the sale?

If the only thing stopping you from keeping the jumper was the size, why not just swap for another 1 or had you already expected to get €72 back before you went to the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just remember that he was offering you only €36 since the jumper was on a half price sale, but the smaller size you originally intended to get would have also been €36 - so a straight swap was (effectively) one of the options he offered.

He was obliged to give you absolutely nothing.

• Advertisement

Hi,

One thing I cant stand is some form of management talking down to the customer. Yes he owes me nothing, its what I assumed and got comfirmation here. I've no problem with that. I do have a problem to his arrogance and patronizing. If he wanted to maintain a good relationship with his customer, he didnt go the right way about it.

I posted here to get opinions and thoughts.

I appreciate you can think I'm sore about not getting my way. But I can accept store policy. I cant accept bad attitude.

I didnt change the jumper as there wasnt any left of my kind in the shop and there was nothing decent left imo.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hi,

One thing I cant stand is some form of management talking down to the customer. Yes he owes me nothing, its what I assumed and got comfirmation here. I've no problem with that. I do have a problem to his arrogance and patronizing. If he wanted to maintain a good relationship with his customer, he didnt go the right way about it.

I posted here to get opinions and thoughts.

I appreciate you can think I'm sore about not getting my way. But I can accept store policy. I cant accept bad attitude.

I didnt change the jumper as there wasnt any left of my kind in the shop and there was nothing decent left imo.

The fact he has to give you nothing back is the law not store policy, think for a minute how you spoke to him...perhaps there is a good reason why he got annoyed.

From experience there is nothing more annoying then dealing with a consumer who believes they are right and are due more then they are legally due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It's very easy to perceive someone as being condescending or "talking down" to you when they're not telling you what you'd like to hear.

RoadSweeper - what do you feel he should have done to maintain a good customer relationship?

Cabaal wrote: »
    The fact he has to give you nothing back is the law not store policy, think for a minute how you spoke to him...perhaps there is a good reason why he got annoyed.

From experience there is nothing more annoying then dealing with a consumer who believes they are right and are due more then they are legally due

Yes, its the law, but he said its his store policy so i was basing it on that.

I spoke to him in a civilized manner. I'm not one to go in a shout the place down and make a scene. So I am sure I said nothing to make him get annoyed.

I never said I believed I was right. I expected to be treated like a customer though.

Kensington wrote: »
    It's very easy to perceive someone as being condescending or "talking down" to you when they're not telling you what you'd like to hear.

RoadSweeper - what do you feel he should have done to maintain a good customer relationship?

I think he could have shown a bit of empathy to the customer regarding the situation instead of not really caring.

Now, dont get me wrong, i'm not looking for pity or someone to fell sorry for me. But just because you are not legally obliged to do something, it doesnt mean you have to carry out the process in a rash and non friendly manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

So how did the conversation go then?

You: I'd like to return this jumper please, here is the receipt.
    Him: Oh, I'm afraid we're no longer selling that jumper at that price, but I can give you a refund for the value we are selling it at currently.
    You: That's not good enough, I want my full refund that I'm not obliged to
    Him: Sorry, no can do buddy.

Where did he become condescending. I've been on his side of the counter for over 2 years, and there comes a point when your message is not getting through and the customer begins to insist on something they don't deserve. You have to start getting sharp with them, because the niceties aren't cutting it.

I don't think he was out of order at all, and fair play for them accepting back a jumper bought ages ago in a time when liquidity and overstocking is a problem in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Bummer, I can understand you being p'd off, its a lot of money to lose.

Advertisement