Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

installing remote central locking?

• 24-01-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of purcahsing a cheap universal remote central locking kit off ebay. works out about 35 euro to install on my car. it's a toyota starlet with no central locking on it at the moment.

does anybody know how difficult it would be to install this myself? has anybody got any links to a tutorial maybe? (google no use)

also does anyone know how much it would cost to get it fitted by a mechanic or car shop.

thanks

Looder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

better off buying a new car IMO, doing after market jobbies like installling locking, electric windows, putting on sunroofs etc is not really worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

without central locking to start with is going to be hard. if the car has central locking its a about an hour job for a pro. had it done on my last car when remote key cracked. it really involves a lot of work on a starlet like yours. Personally i wouldn't bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

If the car does not have an alarm to connect the c/l up to ur in trouble, it's a bit of work connecting it up, but ur better of using an alarm to power the unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if it doesnt have central locking already dont bother, fitting actuators and the system just isnt worth it, if it had central locking fitting a keyless entry system to it would be easy (mine took me an hour to do) , but aside from that id say just leave it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

It's easy to do,just make sure the kit has a fob so its actual remote c/l instead of just c/l.

Mounting the actuators is easy in a toyota,aside from that its just a case of power,ground and then connections to the actuators themselfs,for the price your paying id buy it,if you do post back when you get it if you need advice but it's definitly diyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Loader

did you get this fitted ? If so which kit did you get and how is it working out?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Iv'e done this in my last 2 vans and it's simple. Neither van had anything other than manual locks. On the 2nd one I got an alarm off ebay for €50 that came with 2 fobs, has a microwave sensor, a shock sensor and is connected to the interior light switches on thedoor so goes off if the door is opened. When I got it I realised it had wires to control central lockign actuaters so I got myself 2 of them on ebay for €10-15. Best €65 ish I ever spent.

I'd never atempted it before and the first door took a couple of hours of fiddling but after than it's handy oncce you know what your doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

While on the topic, can anyone recommend a good, cheapish kit to convert the central locking on my MK4 Golf from key operated to remote?

The unit wouldn't necessarily have to have an alarm as well, but if its only a few squid more I'd get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

bongi69 wrote: »
    While on the topic, can anyone recommend a good, cheapish kit to convert the central locking on my MK4 Golf from key operated to remote?

The unit wouldn't necessarily have to have an alarm as well, but if its only a few squid more I'd get one.
    used this very kit on my bora. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Remote-Keyless-Entry-for-car-central-lock-KE669B-ULT_W0QQitemZ360208828335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53de1e87af easy to install. all connections can be made in the drivers door unless you want the indicators to flash when you lock/unlock. comes with oem looking remotes and can fit an electric boot pop if you want do i dont know if this would work on the golf as its a manual release compared to the boras electric release. very good kit for the money

sean1141 wrote: »
    used this very kit on my bora. http://cgi.ebay.ie/Remote-Keyless-Entry-for-car-central-lock-KE669B-ULT_W0QQitemZ360208828335QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item53de1e87af easy to install. all connections can be made in the drivers door unless you want the indicators to flash when you lock/unlock. comes with oem looking remotes and can fit an electric boot pop if you want do i dont know if this would work on the golf as its a manual release compared to the boras electric release. very good kit for the money

Well it claims universal fitting, and if it works on a Bora I'd be willing to take the chance.

As regards the remotes, I've just the normal non flip key. If I was to get this kit, get the key cut, and put the original immobiliser chip thingy into the new key would it work?

• Advertisement

bongi69 wrote: »
    Well it claims universal fitting, and if it works on a Bora I'd be willing to take the chance.

As regards the remotes, I've just the normal non flip key. If I was to get this kit, get the key cut, and put the original immobiliser chip thingy into the new key would it work?
    oh the remote locking will work no problem. it was opening the boot i was talking about. not unlocking it but opening it. on the bora this was an electroinc switch you pressed but on the golf its a manual handle eg you have to pull the handle to open the boot. i think you can get a soleneid kit to open the boot when you press the button. also if you have electric windows this kit will close them when you lock the car.
    regards the key thats exactly what i done with mine.

oh the remote locking will work no problem. it was opening the boot i was talking about. not unlocking it but opening it. on the bora this was an electroinc switch you pressed but on the golf its a manual handle eg you have to pull the handle to open the boot. i think you can get a soleneid kit to open the boot when you press the button. also if you have electric windows this kit will close them when you lock the car.
    regards the key thats exactly what i done with mine.

Well everyone has been pestering me for birthday present ideas for me, so its on the list :cool:

I might try to bodge the boot opener to the petrol flap opener in some way, so pressing the boot button opens the fuel flap. I forget to open it quite often when at the pump

guess it could be done lol do you have electric windows? oh and welcome to vagdrivers btw!!

guess it could be done lol do you have electric windows? oh and welcome to vagdrivers btw!!

I do. Currently when locking the car the windows will go up if they're open.
    And be expecting alot more posts on vagdrivers!

is that if you hold the key in the lock position?

is that if you hold the key in the lock position?

Yup for a few seconds. I've had an issue of the car randomly locking itself while driving, and have narrowed it down to be something loose in the passenger door locking mechanism thats shaken when driving over bumps triggering the locking, and I'm not that arsed to take the door card off to check. This shouldn't affect the install, but you never know.

OP, the same ebay seller that I'll be buying off has the same kit with actuators if your car does not currently have any sort of central locking at the mo
    http://www.rclick.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=53&products_id=399

Sorry for hijacking the thread :o

one press of the button on the new key will then close the windows.

one press of the button on the new key will then close the windows.

Cool cheers for that. Am looking forward to it now

link to fitting guide posted in vagdrivers thred!

Advertisement