Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post here if you would like to be a soccer mod - IMPORTANT Read the rules please.

• 25-01-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭

Ok guys and gals.

We are looking at taking on another soccer mod and instead of just selecting someone we have decided to allow anybody who wants to be a soccer mod to put up a post in this thread. You can put whatever you like in that post but you do not get another.

There are a few rules that we will put in place and they are to ensure that there is no stupidity, flaming, name calling or anything else that we have seen recently.

1. You can only nominate yourself.
    2. If you do not wish to be a mod of soccer, do not post in this thread. If you post with anything other than your reasons you will be banned for 24 hours without infraction.
    3. There is to be no thanks in this thread by anybody. This will be considered the same as a post and will be treated accordingly.
    4. Anybody wishing to state their reasons to be a mod can only post once in this thread, if you post a second time then your second post will be deleted and you will be banned for 24 hours without infraction.
    5. You cannot edit your post once somebody else has posted.

If there is anything I have missed then please PM me or any of the soccer mods. If there is a change to the rules then we will publicise it in the title of the thread so nobody will miss them.

This thread will close next Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wish to throw my hat in the ring.

At this stage, I believe I have a good feel for the way the forum works, the various regular groups and personalities that frequent Soccer, and the type of recurring topics that come up over the course of each season.

If offered the position, I promise to do my best to keep the forum ticking along as per the charter - putting aside any of my own prejudices or biases when carrying out required mod duties. I agree to operate in consultation with the current (and future!) mods at all times - and be impartial and objective in my treatment of all members of the forum and any matters arising.

Furthermore, I will be extra vigilant with regard to my own personal posting in the hopes that it sets a decent example for the forum as a whole. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'll put myself forward for this as well.

Being a college student I tend to have loads of free time on my hands during the day between classes and the like. Most of this time I spend on Boards.
    And Most of the time I spent on Boards is spent in the Soccer Forum.
    We have good Mod coverage in here but during the day is a bit lacking with Xavi and GY in different time zones and T4TF and Dub13 in work.
    Also (as I'm sure Xavi knows at this stage) I'm generally up fairly late into the night also.

I've been posting on Boards for a number of years now but I've become a regular to the Soccer Forum over the last six months or so.
    While the bulk of my posts are located in either the Arsenal Thread, Match Day threads or International threads, I also regularly lurk in the other Super Threads such as Villa, City, United, Pool etc. and occasionally post in them.
    Because of this I've grown to know those people who are genuine posters and those who post to look for arguments, of which there have been a number of late.
    I have a fairly solid idea of the mood and temperament of the forum and feel that I could Mod it impartially and fairly.

That's pretty much all I have :)

Cheers
    Cill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

I'd like to put myself forward for this.

I've been a member of boards going on nearly 6 years now, and although my post count isn't that high (you are not your post count!) I'd like to think it's about quality rather than quantity ;)

There are a few reasons I think I'd make a good mod of soccer,firstly because I'm online around 13-15 hours a day and most of that time I've a boards window open and idling if I'm not using the site directly. So I'll be able to review and monitor the board on a regular basis.

Secondly I've a huge interest in football, have played at a decent level and still play now although not at such a high level. Although I support a particular team I've always seen myself as a fan of the game and enjoy watching any good teams play football, there have been times where I've stopped at the side of a pitch on the way home to watch junior teams play if it looks like a good game!

Thirdly and most importantly I feel, I've had a lot of experience of conflict resolution and diplomacy ;) I'm a parent which brings it's own particular flavour, I'm a manager in my work life, and I've managed and captained various sports teams I've been part of over the years. I believe these roles have given me an insight into dealing with different personality types and keeping the whole ticking over despite it's unique individual parts.

As for my reasons for wanting to do this they are very simple. I really like the soccer forum, I think we have some excellent posters and the atmosphere is a lot better than many forums out there. I'd like to help keep it that way, and I can do that best if I'm helping to keep it on track both through my own actions and good moderation.

Thanks for the consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'll do it.

In a massive turnaround to all previous noises I've made on the subject, in which I said I wouldn't do it, I have had a change of heart in recent times.

Firstly, can I just make one thing clear.

"We are thinking of appointing another soccer mod"

I will not take this position unless at least two others are appointed also.

Foremost in my mind about improving the moderation around here is that we need at least SIX moderators. And if one leaves, then they are replaced withing a week.

I have pretty controversial opinions on the subject of football, and on the moderation of this forum. Opinions which I will stick to tooth and nail. The forum needs fair, but tough, moderation, I feel I can bring that.

The forum needs moderators who are not afriad to have their voices heard, who don't bow to "seniority", which we all know goes on at present. I will not do that, I cannot do that. It probably counts against me, but so be it.

The moderator of this forum needs to be a strong personality, not some wishy-washy person who is willing to fall in with the accepted norms and just get on with it.

I think the soccer charter need to be completely re-written, not just amended from time to time with rules that either contradict other rules, or rules that are not enforced, or rules that can be enforced just on whims.

A moderator is not a rule enforcer, a moderator is a facilitator of discussion, a person put in place by the community, for the community. A moderator should be invisible to the users when it comes to moderating, the users should not be afraid of the moderator, should not be afraid that something they said yesterday is going to be deemed unacceptable when they say the same thing tomorrow.

The moderator should be able to partake in discussion without hiding behind the mod badge, a moderator should be expected to fall under the same rules of the forum as the other users, something I feel very strongly has been abused in the past.

I am a fair minded person, and would keep the yellow/red card system.

I feel I am entitled to post in this thread, as on many occasions in the past, I have been put forward for this role by a number of other users of not only the Soccer Forum, but of non-users of it too.

I want nothing but the very best for this forum, and if my best effort was not deemed to be good enough by the users of this forum, then I would be gone in a flash.

People come and people go, but I feel the most important people to this forum, indeed ANY forum, are the regular users. I know there is a very hardcore section of Soccer Users, not just my friends, who enjoy posting, but who feel that the moderation has taken a turn for the worse in recent times. I feel if a new team of moderators were put in place, this would shake the forum up, and bring it back to how it was two years ago. I feel with the right rules in place, then that hardcore would grow significantly.

Boards.ie is growing, and the Soccer Forum grows with it, but it needs to be kept on an even keel.

IF I am part of a new mod team for Soccer, I feel we could achieve this, but I will not fall in with established ruls and just blindly enforce them. I will not enforce rules which I do not agree with, and I will strive to change them.

Finally, I do not expect to be given this position, but I will not take it if I feel I can not do a good job. I will not take it if I feel my voice will not be heard.

If, after a certain timeframe, people feel I am not doing what I said I would, then I will step aside.

Thanks for reading,

Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,454 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'll throw my name into the hat here.

I'm on the soccer forum most of every day (work is sooo uninteresting) so I'd be around to keep an eye on things. I feel at this stage i know most of the regulars and know who is just out for a bit of trolling.

I would also like to echo the feelings of Des as posted in here, in that i think we need a few new mods, not just one more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

I would like to put my number on the board for this. (ohh look at the fancy soccer reference to start off).

Firstly some points about me.

1)I have been around boards for about a year and a half, which I know is not as long as some other posters but I have certainly learned how boards works in that time, and what its goals are as a discussion board.
    2)I am online fairly regularly, and have regular access to my emails so I can keep on eye on reported posts, and private messages without much difficulty.
    3)I mainly post in the United thread and United match thread but I do read and sometimes post in the other super threads, and match threads and I generally cast an eye at any thread created in the soccer forum.
    4)I believe I have only been banned once from soccer for using a word I shouldn't have used. Since then I believe I have not received any bans, infractions or warnings.

Secondly some ideas regarding the soccer forum. If appointed I would like to discuss the following with the other moderators, or even throw them out now so that the can discuss it between themselves.

1)Increase the required amount of posts before access is granted to users. A lot of the problems I have noticed have been from new posters. This is an impression I have gotten over recent weeks, maybe I ma wrong.
    2)Increase the number of moderators. However you are obviously already doing this, however I would like discuss what number of moderators would be feasible and wanted.
    3)Have a new charter which states the responsibilities of the posters and the moderators.
    4)Abusive posts to be edited at the time of banning. If a mod has time to ban, they have time to edit. Either the post gets deleted or the post gets edited with a standard mod warning.
    5)A return of the rule discussion thread.
    6)Charter updated to define specific punishments. The use of words like 'may' causes too much confusion.

Thirdly what I will try and do.

1)Be as open and fair as possible.
    2)Be as available as possible. (replying to PM's etc)
    3)Be open to any feedback wether good or bad.
    4)To be as involved in the forum as possible. I believe active moderators gain respect more easily.
    5)I'll try to nudge users the right way before trying to push them with infractions and bans.
    6)I won't be afraid to admit mistakes. I will make them, so will any mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

id actually really like to do this if given the chance, i have modding experience and know my way around the soccer forum, my own disciplinery record here is a little less than perfect shall we say so i am well aware of what is tolerated and what is not

even though i dont post here in such high volume anymore i do check the forum every day and keep up to date with whats happening here

i feel i have a good sense of whats fair and would bring a balanced approach to the privilage

im not here making an electoral speech so ill leave it at that, i know i could do the job well, i dont expect to be picked but i will apply all the same and cross my fingers :)

I lurk more on the Soccer forum more than I post.But I have been an active reader since 2005.The only thread I post a lot to is the fantasy football thread.I am a student so have loads of time to be dossing on boards.;)(Thank you taxpayers)
    I am not in any of the cliques that seem to have sprung up on Soccer lately.So would be relatively unbiased.Plus if you don't choose me, vote lazers pew pew:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have thought long and hard before putting my name forward for this.

I feel that I would be a good addition to the moderators in this forum. I am currently involved in a discussion with a moderator on this forum regarding said moderators actions being too harsh imo at times and thats the reason I want to moderate this forum.

I would moderate similarly to the latest addition to the mod team in this forum.
    I don't believe in banning people for silliness/immaturity in a thread that has got out of hand but rather warn them to take their handbags somewhere else and warn via post in the relevant thread that anymore of it will lead to the use of the yellow/red card system and the closure of the thread.
    A lot of the stuff that gets yellow/red carded here is just childish/immature tantrums. I feel this can be handled without the use of bans. This does not mean that I will not ban people for serious abuse or constantly getting involved in childish/immature behaviour that is breaking the rules.

I think over the past six months that I've spent more time in this forum than most and therefore I am available for longer periods of time to moderate than most people.
    I don't have personal problems/issues with any poster on boards.ie.
    I don't support any of the more popular teams and therefore I believe I can moderate in a fair and impartial manner.

I realise how busy this forum is and how it can get out of hand very quickly.
    I feel that a firm yet fair hand is needed to moderate successfully in this forum.

I also believe that a discussion on the rules and moderation of this forum is required in this forum and would be willing to listen to the opinions of everybody on moderation and rules.

I would be very strict on the use of new threads for issues that should be in threads that already exist so as to try and keep enough room on the first page for all currently active threads.

Finally, I believe that the moderation should be done in more pleasant manner than is currently the case. The lastest addition to the moderators in this forum imo uses a more pleasant and more 'in touch' approach than others.

If my moderation was not deemed useful by the other moderators or if I was seen as ott by my fellow posters on here, I would happily walk away from the position knowing I gave it a try and failed to do it properly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I probably have less interest in soccer than 95% of the posters in this forum and probably know less about it than 99%...but one result of that would be that I'd be impartial and objective about things. I look at the forum often enough to moderate it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'll do it.

not much else to say other than most people should have a fair idea of who i am by now. at least i hope ye do :o

now do we get a PM acknowledging receipt of application or what? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

We're watching the thread. We'll discuss this with the Admins and make a decision over the next week or so.

We won't be answering questions or corresponding until after this thread is closed.

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS!

You only have one post. We're serious. We WILL ban for a second post or a thanking of posts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I think i should be soccer mod, cos i know absolutely nothing about football which means i have am not attached to any particular team.

i have been posting in the soccer forum for about a year now, i know a good few of the lads - i even went to the first soccer beers !!! how many people here can say that !!!

due to my complete lack of interest in football and all football related things i would be enforcing the charter only and keeping the peace

so PFB for so soccer mod of year, i say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'll put myself forward.

I'm not promising anything, you know what I'm like and a few lines posted here won't change the impression that a couple of years posts have created. If I'm judged suitable to mod the forum then I'm online quite a lot and will do what I can to help keep the forum working well. If not, best of luck to whoever gets the job.

That's it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'll throw myself in too. As the above poster just said, there is no point in me going on a big long "spiel" about how i will be good for the forum. The majority of people on here know me. If i was to be made a mod i would take no crap from new members or established members which i sometimes feel happens on here. I spend 5-6 hours a day on here and 95% of that is on the soccer forum.

That'll do from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lads,

So far we've had at least 2 people acting the prick with this thread, and a number of others who didn't bother to read the OP. The rules were nicely laid out there and are pretty clear. If you don't have a serious interest in this thread then don't post. There are to be no 'thanks'.

If a warning like the above, or that issued by GY is not to your liking then either take it to PM or simply leave the thread.

Any more acting the bollox will see bans as stated in the OP.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I'd also like to apply to be a soccer mod. I may not have a many posts or the experience of previous applicants or existing soccer mods, but I do feel like I know most of the posters here and would do a good job.

Seeing as I support a La Liga team I wouldn't have the inherent bias that is on this board considering 99% of the posts are based on the EPL. That's as impartial as your going to get when it comes to supporters of the beautiful game.

As a college student, I do have quite flexible hours so I do browse these forums regularly throughout the day. I don't really expect to get this considering some past incidents but it'd be nice to be considered for the post.

Guess that's about it. Thanks for reading....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I wish to put myself forward for the position. I have been on the forum solid since last September and at this stage have a sound knowledge of who is who. What teams people support, who acts the fool etc. The regulars of the forum know who I am. I am online on the soccer forum numerous hours every day and that is were the overwhelming majority of my post count goes. My approach to modding will be to work diligently within the confines of the forum charter and to apply common sense were applicable. I feel as though I can make a beneficial difference to modding the soccer forum.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I would like to put my name down for the new mod position

Although I'm somewhat of a noob but I have what I believe to be a decent knowledge of football nowadays (With the exception of thinking Gary Megson still managed West Brom :o). Andrés Guardado is in my opinion the future of football, don't mind that Messi geek.

I also think I can deal with some of the idiots who just cause annoyance in the Soccer forum. This is a proper forum and it should be recognized by that.

I follow Galway United so you know I have a sense of humour if their financial state is anything to go by.

Banter is probably my favourite aspect of this forum and I would like to encourage more of it. Some of the stuff I read in Soccer threads are the funniest things ever.

The League of Ireland is important to the future of Irish football as a whole and you could be certain that LOI would get a lot more coverage if I'm a mod.

I hope to be at least considered but even if I'm not a mod be assured that I will continue to post when I should be studying.

Thanks for the cyberspace,
    L S

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'll throw my name in aswell,

Have been a mod before(well now) and know it well and I honestly believe I'm a shining example of someone who in the past was banned (more than once) but now I am much more involved in the community and while I had to learn it the hard way I fully appreciate and adhere to the policies.
    also 4 days a week I have the forum open for 12 hours straight while in work and I'm essentially constantly refreshing the page so I would be able to be an active mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll do it... The Non-Drinkers Group forum is a loada sh*t, so I rarely venture over there anymore. I need something new to satiate my lust for power.

Also, I'm kinda of the opinion that the forum has to a degree gone to the sh*ts in recent months, so it'd be tip-top to be able to cull the place of dickheadery and f*ckfacery.

As such, I urge you to accept me as your electronic overlord!

Oh and I don't get involved in the partisanship that seems to dominate every second thread on here ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm putting my hat in for this. I'm not after the powah or the glory but I'm around alot and willing to put in the hours. I'll treat the posters based on how they act and not when they joined or how popular they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

.o/

/puts name forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I'll stick my name down for this too.

But my post doesn't quite have the eloquence of Des's application. Best one I've read so far.

Good luck to whoever gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

its going to be very hard to beat Des application too
    but ill give it ago

i recently got banned so i taught to myself that i probly wouldnt have a chance of becoming a mod

but the banning taught me a lesson
    i know my banning was justified and i never argued with the mod

heres why i should become mod

im on Boards everyday,the first forum I look up is the soccer forum

iv over 6000 post and been on boards since May 2004

if i was to become mod

I would talk to my fellow mods about the soccer access request

the soccer access request needs an overhaul

it seems to me that newbies are driving away established members of the soccer forum

if i was to become mod I would like to discuss away to control the posting of new threads by newbies

theres far to much liverpool bashing at the minute by newbies so i would like to discuss that too

thanks for reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd like to put myself forward for this role.

I believe in a firm but fair approach and I am an avid reader of the soccer forum even though I rarely post. I appreciate how difficult a forum soccer is to mod and I feel I would be up to the challenge.

I had a brief stint in another forum after winning a SSF prize and proved to do a good job while I was there.

I am courteous, polite and also thick skinned which are attributes needed for this position.

Also I'm knocking around boards a lot more in the last couple of months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'll put my name forward too

I've recieved infractions from this forum some right some wrong but they were prob for the better of the forum.

Like most people here im passionate about my team but have an interest in all other teams.

Some times ive loads of time for boards some times i have no time, so if ye would like some to help out i'll do my best.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'll put my name forward.

I don't support english/british football or Irish football besides ATFC so I'm immune to the EPL vs LOI crap that pops up in here from time to time, I'm also online as much as anyone pretty much and I've been around for ages.

Also, I used to be an admin, so, yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring also.

I'm not going to go into big reasons. Anyone can see my views or what I'm like from any of my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'm interested in doing this.

Main thing i'd like to see changing is to stop the derailing of match threads.

A few more mods wouldn't hurt either. The forum gets through a fair few posts.

I don't agree with trying to police stupid things like thanks and the like. I'd be more interested in trying to keep the forum user friendly.

I'd be banning as a last resort.

That's about it really. Didn't think this thread would still be open. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

I'd be willing to give it a shot. I am very impartial.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am locking this now (one day late).

Thanks to all the applicants,we are discussing this and will get back to you when we have come to a consensus.

Dub13

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement