Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was Ulrika winning CBB a fix?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

She was paid the most to go in to the house, was not popular with the public or in the house, very boring so who the hell was voting for her? :confused:

I think Verne - Mini Me was favourite to win

So what happened?

BTW i was backing Tina to win

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

JP Liz wrote: »
    She was paid the most to go in to the house, was not popular with the public or in the house, very boring so who the hell was voting for her? :confused:

I think Verne - Mini Me was favourite to win

Almost certainly not a fix.
    What has Verne being bookies fav got to do with it, plenty of favourites lose every day. Even on BB people like BlindMikey, Kenzie and Samanda have been favourites on the last day and lost. Kenzie was 1/16 as the lines closed (96% liklihood of winning).

Verne was fav imo because people still see the Nadia/Pete factor as being important - rooting for the underdog, the disabled person etc. Thats why Mikey was fav last summer, but lost, and Verne had a bit of Mikeys negative traits (a slightly dark nasty side to his character).

Another factor may have been the amount of votes, C4 don't release the figures but I suspect it may have been lower than usual, especially as the average age of the final 5 must have been its highest ever (4 of them over 40years of age) thus alienating the programs normal target audience.

C4 are under the microscope regarding voterigging, why would they risk a massive fine? Yes they paid UJ the most, but once she lasted the full 3 weeks it wouldn't matter to them whether she finishes 5th or 1st.

You could argue a case of sorts that they fixed the evictions to save her by showing her in a good light (maybe).

Off to conspiracy forum with ya :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Almost certainly not a fix.
    What has Verne being bookies fav got to do with it, plenty of favourites lose every day. Even on BB people like BlindMikey, Kenzie and Samanda have been favourites on the last day and lost. Kenzie was 1/16 as the lines closed (96% liklihood of winning).

Verne was fav imo because people still see the Nadia/Pete factor as being important - rooting for the underdog, the disabled person etc. Thats why Mikey was fav last summer, but lost, and Verne had a bit of Mikeys negative traits (a slightly dark nasty side to his character).

Another factor may have been the amount of votes, C4 don't release the figures but I suspect it may have been lower than usual, especially as the average age of the final 5 must have been its highest ever (4 of them over 40years of age) thus alienating the programs normal target audience.

C4 are under the microscope regarding voterigging, why would they risk a massive fine? Yes they paid UJ the most, but once she lasted the full 3 weeks it wouldn't matter to them whether she finishes 5th or 1st.

You could argue a case of sorts that they fixed the evictions to save her by showing her in a good light (maybe).

Off to conspiracy forum with ya :P:P

I think you're right, especially about Verne having a darker side like Mikey.
    I wonder what percentage she actually got. Can't help wondering what would've happened if Terry hadn't made that comment. Daft really to say something like that. If I was one of the voters I'd think twice to vote for him after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the voted to keep ulrika in to see her crack,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Terry was right what he said. Not that i chat to people much about cbb, but i havent heard one person say UJ deserved to win.
    I mean, what did she do?Who voted for her? Seriously i think theres something very dodgy about the whole thing.
    Dont get me wrong, she seemed fine on the show, but if i had to pick up the phone to vote for someone....i doubt it would be her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/67258/BB-fans-in-fix-revolt/
    Ulrika Jonsson’s shock Big Brother victory has sparked a fans’ revolt which looks like killing off the show.
    Diehard fans are planning on boycotting any future series because they reckon the result was rigged.

Ulrika, 41, left the nation stunned as she took the crown on Friday night.

She was a big outsider behind favourite Verne Troyer, 40, who left the house in fourth place.

Even Ulrika herself believed the result had been tampered with. On hearing the news she said: “No way, it’s a fix.”

And the show’s army of fans agree. They have lashed out at the result because Ulrika was never one of the favourites from the moment the show started three weeks ago.

Our phones rang off the hook and hundreds of readers sent in texts and emails about the “fix” as soon as Ulrika won. And one online forum, with 120,000 members, saw her poll just 10%.

One user said: “The whole show is a joke now. Next year we should all boycott it and then it will finally get the axe.

“Ulrika winning the show is just plain impossible. I can only think the result was hijacked by a betting syndicate.”

Fans fear that so few people are voting that it is easy for big-time gamblers to rig the vote.

And they reckon bosses at the Channel 4 show can edit their footage to make anyone a star.

This year they axed the 24-hour live streaming, which meant the public only got to see the footage telly chiefs wanted them to see.

Everything else was left on the cutting room floor.

It meant that they could make any of the celebrities look good and deliberately make others look boring.

The show’s launch night was watched by 6.4million but just half that figure watched Friday’s final.

While fans were shocked, TV insiders say they only have themselves to blame.

One said: “It’s not rocket science. Vote or don’t moan if your favourite misses out.”

A Big Brother spokesman declined to comment last night.

Ulrika was a boring contestant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Mingey

Ann22 wrote: »
    Can't help wondering what would've happened if Terry hadn't made that comment. Daft really to say something like that. If I was one of the voters I'd think twice to vote for him after that.

It was a bit of a self fullfilling prophecy that. Only idiots do bother voting, that's why Ulrika won.

Maybe she was seen as the underdog? She kept on going on about being a woman and it was a mans house. Maybe all her Sisters voted for her. Right on, etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

considering the fact that your one Rachel won the last actual big brother im not surprised Ulrikakakaka won. both boring, both moderately attractive, both opinionated without really saying anything of consequence and both "just there"

i doubt it was a fix on C4's part, more likely some well organised gambling... if it was a fix at all.

most probably - the british phone-voting-to-crappy-tabloid-driven-television-shows public are retarded

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

no... ulrika did have her little following, things just went wrong for a couple of reasons. it's another case of 'people don't bother voting because they assume others will'... everyone expected terry to win and never even considered the fact that ulrika could, so didn't bother voting. secondly i think the type of people that terry appealed to aren't the type of people who waste money on those type of shows... as much as i enjoy the odd BB and as much as i wanted terry to win, i would never even consider lifting the phone... he was right in what he said and i didn't even think anything of the comment (since i thought it was kind of stating the obvious anyway) until suddenly i realized there was some kind of uproar about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Maybe betting pools had a hand in the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dreilly1990

Yes I say it was a fix because nearly everybody in the house hated her

• Advertisement
Advertisement