Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade stir-fry sauce

• 25-01-2009 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

I love stir fries. I would normally buy a packet of sauce or use soy sauce. I have changed my diet now though (I want to burn fat) and I want to make my own. Does anybody have a recipie for a home made sauce to mix through my stir-fries.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A tin of chopped tomatoes is an ideal base for a sauce, then just add whichever spices you like. If you want creamy, add some fat-free fromage frais too. Experimentation is the key :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Thats great thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Dolorous wrote: »
    A tin of chopped tomatoes is an ideal base for a sauce, then just add whichever spices you like. If you want creamy, add some fat-free fromage frais too. Experimentation is the key :)
    Tomatoes as a base for stir-fry sauce just seems wrong :D

OP, you can try using oyster sauce. It's used a lot as the base for stir-fry sauce in cantanese cooking. You can get them in all asian markets and some supermarkets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd agree with the tomatoes being somehow 'wrong' in a stirfry.

Assuming it's a Chinese style you're going for;

Get yourself some preserved black beans in an Asian shop. (inexpensive)

Whatever your vegetables, add chopped ginger, garlic, chilli (optional), spring onions a small handfull of the black beans, a dash of dry sherry, soy sauce and a few drops of sesame oil.

If you want it a bit wetter add a little stock and you can thicken it with cornflour, if you really want to!

This will give you a really tasty 'authentic' tasting Chinese flavour without it coming from a bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Lol I was thinking in terms of a curry but I guess you probably did mean a Chinese-style stir fry! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

For a stir fry you could use some peanut butter and sweet chilli sauce, along with a bit of soy sauce or mushroom ketchup - no need to use any packet sauces then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

...sweet chilli sauce..no need to use any packet sauces then
    Do you have a recipe for sweet chilli sauce? I use tomato based sauces for pasta and curry dinners but something for chinese style recipes would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use a combination of soy, mirin and sake for a japanese flavour - also the japanese have a great 7 spice mixture that's really good on stir fry. Use thai fish sauce and lime juice. Look out for jars of chilli bean paste - a spoonful of that in a stirfry adds real punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Stir fry sauce recipe:
    2/3 garlic cloves finely chopped
    2 inch piece of garlic finely chopped
    3 tbsp light soy sauce
    1 tbsp sweet chili sauce
    1 tsp thai fish sauce
    1 tsp cornflour mixed with some water
    Egg Noodles (or rice noodles)

The above stir fry sauce can be made with any meat type and some stir fried veg (onions,mushrooms, peppers, beansprouts, etc)

Cook your noodles, rinse and set aside
    Stir fry your meat first and set aside
    Then fry the ginger and garlic for a minute or 2 until soft, but not browned, then remove and set aside.
    Stir fry your vegetables for a minute or two, then add back your meat, garlic/ginger and the remaining ingredients above (except for cornflour mix).
    Give it a minute or 2 to reheat the meat and combine the sauce and then add the cornflour mixture. Mix in the noodles and serve........yum!

All the above ingredient measures are approx and can easily be changed to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Paul24

Guys,

This is my favourite.

3 Tablespoons of Oyster Sauce.
    1 Tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce.
    1 Tablespoon Crushed Black Pepper.
    ½ Teaspoon sugar.
    1 Tablespoon Veg oil
    300ml of Chicken Stock.
    Cornflour for Thickening.

Chicken or Sirloin Beef is ideal.
    Green or Red Pepper
    Onion.

Method

Mix the Oyster Sauce, dark Soy Sauce, Crushed Pepper, Sugar and Veg oil together.
    Cut the meat, peppers and onion into thin strips.
    You can, if you have time marinate the steak in a little of the oyster sauce and a little veg oil.
    Heat the Wok until smoking – Add some Veg oil & some Sesame oil to the wok – It should start to billow smoke !
    Add the meat, keep it moving and cook until about 80% cooked. E.g. the steak is still slightly pink.
    Remove the meat from the Wok and set aside.
    Re-heat the wok, add a touch more oil and cook the onion for a minute.
    Add the red pepper and cook for a further minute.
    Remove the onion and pepper from the Wok and set aside.
    Re-heat the Wok and pour in the Sauce – you may need to add a little stock to the sauce to loosen it.
    Cook the sauce for about 1 min (it should start to smell peppery) then add the remaining stock and return the meat and veg to the wok.
    Cook out for another 2 min and thicken the sauce with some cornflour/water.

Serve with rice or noodles.

Paul24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Thanks everybody for all those ideas and recipies. Keep em coming!

Advertisement