Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mocks 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Woo!! Maths done!! Found examcraft HL paper 1 way better than paper 2 ....finished in time and didnt skip anything unlike P2 yesterday!!
    3 papers down, 7 to go!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Irish 1 + Tape today. I could understand the Nordie guy fine for once, but I couldn't make a out a word that last woman said! She ruined fógra a dó as well, damn her.

Paper one (OL) is ridiculously easy, why on earth is it so long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

phasers wrote: »
    Paper one (OL) is ridiculously easy, why on earth is it so long?

I was finished P2 today in 40 mins (I was working at my leisure). 2hrs and 20mins is obscene, just cut it down to an hour and a half.
    Also I love how with pass irish ALL the studied stuff i.e. poetry and prose counts for less than a fifth of the marks. It just makes so much less stressful.

Also, finished today!
    The pres weren't even that hard, or stressful, i actually quite enjoy getting up at quarter past eight and driving to school and being home again for quarter past 12 everyday! back to the 9-4 slog from monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I'm finished all mine! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Yeah the Irish level (ol) papers were laughable at how easy they were had spent an hour at each paper, and that was taking my time. Four more left now, French, Biology, Art History and Art Craft all Higher so will have no weekend again.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    That question was a balls of a question. Whoever engineered that question must not know the dimensions of an A2 sheet because it was absolutely MASSIVE. I had to get another sheet and stick it under the main sheet for more space! You only realise how big it is when you have all your angles set up and you start drawing it so you can't scrap it and start another question:mad:

The assembly question is from the old TD course, we done it in class already.

Yeah, didn't help that that was the first dimetric I had attempted, because we only ever did isometric in class, the year before, so I had to look at the dimetric myself. I will be lucky to pass that exam.

We haven't gone near assemblies yet, though we are doing it. It's all project at the moment. Going into school tomorrow, for 6 or 7 hours to do the project. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Des23 wrote: »
    I was finished P2 today in 40 mins (I was working at my leisure). 2hrs and 20mins is obscene, just cut it down to an hour and a half.
    Also I love how with pass irish ALL the studied stuff i.e. poetry and prose counts for less than a fifth of the marks. It just makes so much less stressful.

Whats really obscene, 2 and 50 minutes for paper one and the 3 hours and 20 minutes for paper 2 and thats only for 55% of Higher Level!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Got OL Maths back today.
    I got 77% overall.

The corrector was complete bollocks though!
    Didnt follow the marking scheme and didnt tot the scores correctly.

A girl in my class got 32% written on her paper, when really she got 66% or something. Poor girl was being given hell!
    Being rechecked this weekend by our maths teacher. Im not too pushed.

Anyone else ever had troubles with correctors?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

I got 360 altogether. But im short about 100 points now.
    C1 in eng and music, B3 in Home ec, D2 in biology and french - all HL
    And A2 in OL irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Jammyc wrote: »
    Got OL Maths back today.
    I got 77% overall.

The corrector was complete bollocks though!
    Didnt follow the marking scheme and didnt tot the scores correctly.

A girl in my class got 32% written on her paper, when really she got 66% or something. Poor girl was being given hell!
    Being rechecked this weekend by our maths teacher. Im not too pushed.

Anyone else ever had troubles with correctors?

In the JC, when the HL English papers came back, my whole class (of normally A-B students) failed, or came pretty close to it. No one got above 50%. My teacher was going mad, saying how English is just as important, still need to study even if you do speak it etc etc.
    Then she read them and said that the corrector was insane and in the real thing they would have been back up at our normal standard, and they'd never be corrected like that in the actual JC. Some correctors just don't want to put the time in, I guess.

Got Biology back the other day, got 81%, which I was very pleased with, although it has to go up to an A1 in the real thing, eeek. Half my class failed and the teacher was going mad, and then turning around and saying, well it was a hard paper in all fairness :confused:

I just want the rest of them back at this stage! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Mul07

Has anyone done the construction DEB paper? any idea what the working drawing is?

Anyone know what poems and sceals come up on paper 2 of the Irish DEB paper and how did people find higher level german?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Mul07 wrote: »
    Anyone know what poems and sceals come up on paper 2 of the Irish DEB paper?

HL Irish DEB:
    For the prós Cearrbhach is compulsary, there's a choice between fiche bliain ag fás/ an bhean óg. For OL poetry jack is compulsary, choice between faoiseamh/ níl aon ní. And for HL Poetry it's dá mb'fhéidir or an chéad dráma

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marzabar

English paper 2? Have it Tuesday and am panicking...
    Mocks so far, alright.
    Latin yesterday was horrendous though. *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Fred Flinstone

History and English monday and den free!! Den sleep for the week and celebrate on the friday and saturday!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Don't worry about the mocks too much folks... Just think of it as getting used to the structure of the exam process, the format of each paper, and practise at the endurance test that some of them actually are.

Myself and most of my classmates failed plenty of mocks back in the day (2005? :D), and got very different results in the actual exams.

Don't get too stressed

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I actually really need to work on my timing for English 2 , Macbeth screwed me up! The mocks were worthwhile for that, and for reminding me to buy a watch. The clock is at the back of my room, and I'm getting repetitive strain injury from turning so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

anyone else in biology ever get confused as to how many points you need to give for each question? I hate it the way they only tell you how much marks the full question is and not the individual parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Irish OL Tape = I know I've failed it.

I couldn't understand the questions so I didn't hold much hope of being able to answer them. Our teacher should really tell us common words that come up. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Dubs wrote: »
    anyone else in biology ever get confused as to how many points you need to give for each question? I hate it the way they only tell you how much marks the full question is and not the individual parts

Yes! God that annoys me so much. I got 80% in my mock, and I'm thinking a large chunk of the marks lost were lost not because I didn't know the material, but because I didn't write enough. Will have to see what the marking scheme says anyway!

Also the marker didn't allow a few answers that were either blatantly correct or were explicitly stated in the book, also one question was added up wrongly (ok only by one marks, but it's the principle of the thing dammit!)

Hope nothing like that happens in the real thing.

You'll all be grand.Around this time next year.You will be enjoying your first rag week and thats will probably will be amazing.

Also mocks are ****e.I failed Chemistry and got a B1(iirc) in the real thing.Gutted to be honest to not get the a.

• Advertisement

Piste wrote:
    Yes! God that annoys me so much. I got 80% in my mock, and I'm thinking a large chunk of the marks lost were lost not because I didn't know the material, but because I didn't write enough. Will have to see what the marking scheme says anyway!

Also the marker didn't allow a few answers that were either blatantly correct or were explicitly stated in the book, also one question was added up wrongly (ok only by one marks, but it's the principle of the thing dammit!)

Hope nothing like that happens in the real thing.

Well, considering that mock papers are usually marked (as far as I know) by college students, who get around €3 or €4 a paper, you can't expect top quality marking.
    Leaving Cert is corrected by experienced teachers, who get a lot more, anywhere between €15 and €40, depending on the subject. They know the marking process much better, and are obligated to tally everything up fully.
    That said, mistakes still occur. That's what rechecks are for. :D

You'll all be grand.Around this time next year.You will be enjoying your first rag week and thats will probably will be amazing.

Also mocks are ****e.I failed Chemistry and got a B1(iirc) in the real thing.Gutted to be honest to not get the a.
    No I wont, I'll be miserable in some science course bitterly jealous of all the people in medicine :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »

Chemistry is so freaking bad for that!

Like in Environmental Chemistry one year it accepted "Baking" as a source of major CO2 emissions, but other years it will only accept the most ridiculous answers.......

One guy in 6th year last, got his Bio paper rechecked, because he did surprisingly badly, whoever corrected it, didnt add on section A to the marks!

Chemistry is awful for marking. They're so incredibly fussy. If you don't have the precise word they're looking for, even if you convey the meaning then you have no marks. Does my head in!

No I wont, I'll be miserable in some science course bitterly jealous of all the people in medicine :(

You can always apply to medicine in the UK.They have slightly lower requirements.Check out University of East Anglia.Plus, from working in a hospital,being a doctor is a crap job.Have you done work experience with a doctor.110 hour weeks aren't fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

It's too late for UK :(

I would agree with Dazzler, being a Doctor doesn't appeal to me at all.
    If you're desire is to help people be doing meaningful, that's great. But you need to be able to handle the constant pressure of people's welfare, and the bereavement of families, being on-call and completely surrounded by sickness and ill health. Plus the amount of years that need to be put in.

You can always apply to medicine in the UK.They have slightly lower requirements.Check out University of East Anglia.Plus, from working in a hospital,being a doctor is a crap job.Have you done work experience with a doctor.110 hour weeks aren't fun.

Nah UK is too far away. 800 years.

Nah UK is too far away. 800 years.

miserable science student or happy med student?:D
    Presume its more that you are a homebird than any of that 800 years stuff.

• Advertisement

Heggy wrote: »
    I would agree with Dazzler, being a Doctor doesn't appeal to me at all.
    If you're desire is to help people be doing meaningful, that's great. But you need to be able to handle the constant pressure of people's welfare, and the bereavement of families, being on-call and completely surrounded by sickness and ill health. Plus the amount of years that need to be put in.

plus the consultants just screwed over the junior doctors so now they have to do more work for less money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement