Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often can you use minidv tapes?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 3:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭

If its something important should you use a new one each time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

For test footage, camera set up and general messing around - reusing a tape is fine.

For the finished project though it is advisable to use a fresh tape. This will also be your back up remember so you don't really want to risk recording over something you want to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

i always use fresh tapes for short films

But for other stuff christenings, weddings, basiacally paid work should i always use a fresh tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭okee

It would seem to make sense to use new tapes for paid work
    as you'll be including the cost of the tapes in the job price so why
    skimp, especially as mini dv tapes are not that expensive and if anything
    went wrong with a used tape while doing paid work it would cost you
    in every sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

I have had frames from a previous record appear in a new record before using miniDV more than once. Literally 1 or 2 frames would appear. Hard to notice if you are just playing through, but once you digitise it in and editing its easier to spot.
    Since then I'd advise if its billable, always use new tapes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Thanks for the replies. I sort of thought that myself but just wanted to be sure.

What do you all do with used tapes? Just throw them away?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

hold onto them for backup storage.

Advertisement