Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom 7.6 mb broadband!

Options
  • 25-01-2009 3:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I ordered 7.6 mb broadband from eircom, and now i am waiting when i will get connected! So i have question those who already is using eircom 7.6 mb broadband, what is your opinion about this broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

It's great for pretty much everything bar playing games online. Line is reliable and doesn't drop ever for most people. I think mines dropped once in a year.

You should be capable of getting in the region of 950k/sec download speed but you'll realistically get anything between 650-850k/sec depending on your phone line quality.

If you play games online, and know what a ping is, you'll be getting in the region of 50-70ms to UK servers as a result of High Interleaving (which may be lowered upon complaining to them).

It's quite expensive compared to NTL/UPC's option though, if you happen to live in an upgraded area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

ya its good, i have the business light 7.6mb comes with a higher upload then the regular, same price nearly, which i want for playstation3, no problem with pings arond 60ms which is fine, bit pricy tho, depending on seeders, but i have seen my torrents hit the 750+ kb mark
    i can reccomend it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

beware tho alot of people do not get the full speed due to line quality or distance from exchange. im 2km from exchange and only see 5meg out of it with about 4.5meg on the speedtests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Many people say that the interleaving is a pain.

AFAIK eircom also sell a non-interleaving 7.6Mb package, though that may effect speed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

barnicles wrote: »
    Many people say that the interleaving is a pain.

AFAIK eircom also sell a non-interleaving 7.6Mb package, though that may effect speed etc.

Yep, its a major pain. There's no non-interleaving 7.6Mb package, there's a gamer package which has 384k upload, ie it uses the 3mbit package with low interleaving for upload but has high interleaving on the download, it knocks a few ms of the ping times, but it still has high pings.
    Vertakill wrote: »
    If you play games online, and know what a ping is, you'll be getting in the region of 50-70ms to UK servers as a result of High Interleaving (which may be lowered upon complaining to them).

I'm sure thats not possible, from what I've read it isn't possible to turn it off for single customers, its high interleaving for all or nobody. Can someone in the know please clarify this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭marelz2

Thanks guys for nfo!

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm sure thats not possible, from what I've read it isn't possible to turn it off for single customers, its high interleaving for all or nobody. Can someone in the know please clarify this.

A couple of my mates have had this done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thought the "gamer who complains" special was a reprofiled 7.6 which is 7.1 down and 384k up package and yes it has lower interleaving .

The package has a name

eircom broadband home Advanced

7168kbps Downstream / 384kbps Upstream

same price as 7.6mbits which is called

eircom broadband home professional

7616kbps Downstream / 672kbps Upstream

A couple of my mates have had this done.

Yes, I think Sponge Bob is right, Your friends who complained got moved to the other Home Advanced package which still has high interleaving on the download, not on the upload. This also has 48:1 contention as opposed to 24:1 on the Home Professional package. See

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The 7.1 and 7.6 cost the same .

• Advertisement

I know nothing of the 7.1 to be perfectly honest as I didn't even know it existed up until you mentioned it.

However, I was meaning to get the interleaving off/lowered on my own connection for a while and decided to do it today.

I have the 7.6mb package and they lowered the interleaving for me as of about 2 minutes ago.
    I was getting 40-45ms pings to www.eircom.net with interleaving at high, and I'm now getting 8ms pings.

I had to ring up a second time because the first guy accidentally dropped my connection to 3mbit again, where I had low interleaving and 11ms to eircom.

So now that it's got the same interleaving of the 3mbit connection, I'm getting 8ms to eircom. 23ms to Jolt.

Both guys I spoke with were very helpful as well I might add.

398015334.png

The slightly lowered data rate is due to attenuation/noise on the line. (My attenuation is excellent but my noise isn't great).
    Router is connected at 7616/672.

The slightly lowered data rate is due to attenuation/noise on the line. (My attenuation is excellent but my noise isn't great).
    Router is connected at 7616/672.

Thats the max You can expect, its the overheads of the copper. I live next to the exchange and I max at ~6600kbps on a perfect line.

Have You rebooted your modem to see what speed it syncs at? You are aware that the 7.1mbit Home Advanced package has 48:1 contention (compared to 24:1 on Home Professional) and will slow more during busy times?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

have to say i got it on a mad upgrade offer when i wanted to switch to upc they offered me 7.6 for 3 euro a month.

I'm not impressed. Download speeds never get higher then 500kbs and my gaming pings, well its high.

Have witnessed the upc packages in friends houses and think ill make the switch

especially consdiering the 50mb they will offer soon

I didn't know about the contention ratio differences no, because I honestly hadn't heard of the 7.1 package until today.

I have the 7.6 package so the contention ratio of the 7.1 package doesn't interest me.

Yes, I made sure to reboot my router while on the phone to eircom to ensure I wouldn't have to ring them a third time. Synced at 7.6mbps as I said.

Also, I've never suffered from any problems with the contention ratio during peak times with eircom. I've always had the top package which was upgraded each time and I always get the max download speeds that my line is capable of, irrespective of what time of the day it is.

Maybe I just live in a good area for it?... I dont know.

have to say i got it on a mad upgrade offer when i wanted to switch to upc they offered me 7.6 for 3 euro a month.

I'm not impressed. Download speeds never get higher then 500kbs and my gaming pings, well its high.

Have witnessed the upc packages in friends houses and think ill make the switch

especially consdiering the 50mb they will offer soon

Obviously having a perfectly reliable 20mb Cable connection from UPC would be ideal, but you can't guarantee you will get that.

My area (Leixlip) has been partially upgraded by UPC and I was chomping at the bit at the thoughts of 20mb and I will get it as soon as it's available to me.
    However, for me, 7.6mbps DSL where I never get any reliability issues (line dropped once in 2 years), I get max download speeds at all times and I (as of today) get 8ms ping to Ireland and 23 to UK... not to mention the vastly superior tech support that I've received through dealings with most of the Irish ISP's... I can't really complain.

The one gripe I have is that it's 73 euro a month... when you could get 20mbit from UPC, along with digital TV and the phone package for nearly the same monthly price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ya bollix Gav :p If magnet won't do the same for me, then I'm going to have to change back to the rat!

Advertisement