Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmares based on real-life problems

Options
  • 25-01-2009 8:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I've recently been through a breakup where they left me for someone else and since then, I've been having dreadful nightmares about the two of them together, to the point where every night I wake up with a jolt, crying, at about 3am. I then don't go back to sleep, but I think that's out of my choice because I can't stand the vivid visions I have in these nightmares. There's nothing terrible in them exactly, they're not chasing me or throwing rocks :rolleyes:, but instead it's just them doing everyday things and simply being together.

When I'm awake obviously I can tell myself not to think about it or focus on keeping my mind on something else but when I'm asleep my mind obviously fixates on it and goes into overdrive.

Is there anything I can do to stop this? Would any kind of natural or prescribed sleep-aid help? It's getting to the stage where I'm only getting about 4 hours sleep a night (and am posting on boards at 7am on a Sunday!). I haven't suffered with nightmares since I was a child and I don't remember them being this upsetting, even when the bogeyman was chasing me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

All that I can do is offer you my sympathy at this point and say that you are not alone - my husband and I are going through our own sleeping crisis (with accompanying knightmares) about a recent bereavment.

I lost a friend in a fire when I was a very young girl and had knightmares for years afterwards (apparently I still do the odd time)...we will be seeking help to deal with our trauma, might I suggest a relationship councellor for yourself?

Advertisement