Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

replacing damaged floorboards with concrete ?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice...

In my house (approx 50 yrs old) the floorboards downstairs seem to be laid
    directly onto a concrete slab (which is covered by an old waterproof layer).
    2 or 3 of the boards are dished (rising up at the edges) and are split in a couple
    of places where the previous owners put in extra nails, so they rock badly when
    you walk over them.

I was thinking vaguely about taking up those damaged boards and just replacing
    them with a small bit of concrete - the reason I was thinking of doing this
    rather than just replacing the boards was that I was concerned that I'd not be
    able to nail the new boards into the old concrete slab (which is covered by what
    looks like an old waterproof layer).

Anyone got any advice on this ? Are there any companies that repair old
    floors (most of the ones I've seen either just sand floors or fit new laminate
    floors) ?

Many thanks

Butters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Boards are usually 20mm thick - it will bw very difficult to get 20mm thick new concrete to stick to old dpm. It will crumble and break up.

I'd try replacing timber with new timber boards - it would also look alot better. You might even be able to use a glue like evostick to hold the new boards in place.

You could remove all the boards and lay a new laminate or semi-solid floor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Butterfingers
    sketch on relacing broken boards. Hope this is of assistance attached
    Heatherview

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Nice one Heatherview!:)
    Great sketch

Advertisement