Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leffe blonde units of alcohol

Options
  • 25-01-2009 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

A large bottle of Leffe blonde (750ml) is 6.6% bv alcohol - the label says contains 3.9 standard drinks, is that 3.9 units of alcohol?

Working from another beer - Cobra at 5% and 330ml - Cobra say is 1.7 units. So 750ml of Cobra is about 3.86 units. The Leffe is 1.6% stronger.:confused:

Any easy way to work out the number of units by volume and alcohol content?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

A standard drink is different from a unit of alcohol, and the measure is different in different countries. Wikipedia has the details here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Minder wrote: »
    Any easy way to work out the number of units by volume and alcohol content?

The method I always use for calculating units of alcohol in a drink is
    literage X alcohol

So for cobra it'd be .330 X 5 = 1.65 units

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Leffe Blond beer is really good, as are most Belgian beers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dang

I thought this thread was going to be about how a typical blonde behaves after various units of alcohol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

dang

I thought this thread was going to be about how a typical blonde behaves after various units of alcohol :(

Wrong forum mate ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

slayerking wrote: »
    The method I always use for calculating units of alcohol in a drink is
    literage X alcohol

So for cobra it'd be .330 X 5 = 1.65 units
    Yes, thats the way I always compare them, it is so obvious a way to measure, it makes me sick when countries go inventing different units for no reason at all. If everybody stuck with what made sense it would be a lot easier.

So the cobra is 1.65 and the leffe is 4.95. So exactly 3 times the alcohol in the bottle.

6.6/5=1.32 times stronger.

Those big bottles are often quite expensive. Tesco & dunnes often have 4x330ml leffe's for €6. When you take the high % into account this is similar to €1 bottle offers, but a better beer. i.e. same price per unit alcohol.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    but a better beer. i.e. same price per unit alcohol.
    That's not how I measure beer quality, but each to their own ;)

Advertisement