Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing?

• 25-01-2009 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Please could you tell me what is considered good fencing for sheep, cattle and horses here in Ireland? Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Jokesetal

Horses require wooden rails, usually four. White (sometimes electrified at 12/24 V) tape is also used.
    Barbed wire on round posts is standard fot cattle.
    For sheep, 3 foot sheep wire (usually High Tensile - see www.powerseeds.ie/hardware/fencing.asp) again on wooden posts.

I assume you're not impressed by what you've seen somewhere?

Depending on the location, wooden pallets, galvanised iron etc. have been used on the odd occasion :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

:)

You could say that; not impressed I mean. Our rented cottage has fields alongside leased to a farmer.

On either side of our lane/drive also.

Previously, he has had free run of the whole place, which of course we are ... not about to endure.

In places the fences are non-existent. In others two low strands of barbed wire.

When the sheep arrived... we got those moved as they were leaking all over the place.

Next came a large bull and six cows; and we got a little work done on one large gap.

They vanished; we think they got in while we were out:)

Then came a horse; who was alone and spooked by a storm and almost leaped into the sunken lane... over the two low strands of barbed wire.

So we are wondering just what passes for adequate fencing here; even the pallets would be better than this mess:)

I am OK with what you say re the sheep; but two low strands of barbed wire for cattle?

we have been advised to attach white plastic streamers atop so the horse can see the fence....

Again, thank you
    Jokesetal wrote: »
    Horses require wooden rails, usually four. White (sometimes electrified at 12/24 V) tape is also used.
    Barbed wire on round posts is standard fot cattle.
    For sheep, 3 foot sheep wire (usually High Tensile - see www.powerseeds.ie/hardware/fencing.asp) again on wooden posts.

I assume you're not impressed by what you've seen somewhere?

Depending on the location, wooden pallets, galvanised iron etc. have been used on the odd occasion :D

The quickest way to get someone to improve their fencing is for the stock (Cattle, sheep but probably not horse) to "somehow" get through to the nearest road. It's amazing how quick things get fixed "after the horse has bolted".

Lone horses are never a good idea, as you've seen they are prone to spooking daily.
    As for the Bull, ten strands of wire wouldn't stop one is he's "in the mood".

White tape can be bought in most Agri-Stores for about €10-15 for 200m lengths (depending on tape size 1/2 inch or 1 inch).

Best of Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Oh there are his cattle and the horse on the road frequently. Believe me.

As soon as the weather eases, we will have the best decorated fence in the area - and using free stuff too:)

This man shows horses..

Our ultimate weapon is the Dept of Ag - and we have done this once before.

But thank you; I needed to be sure re the fencing as I have heard so many excuses and versions.

We hail from Canada where fences ARE fences:) Ireland comes as a great shock thus.
    Jokesetal wrote: »
    The quickest way to get someone to improve their fencing is for the stock (Cattle, sheep but probably not horse) to "somehow" get through to the nearest road. It's amazing how quick things get fixed "after the horse has bolted".

Lone horses are never a good idea, as you've seen they are prone to spooking daily.
    As for the Bull, ten strands of wire wouldn't stop one is he's "in the mood".

White tape can be bought in most Agri-Stores for about €10-15 for 200m lengths (depending on tape size 1/2 inch or 1 inch).

Best of Luck!

Understood.
    Just to note: The barbed wire should be three inch (between the barbs) rather than the cheaper and less effective six inch. Cattle on roads can cause much more trouble when they do damge to cars or property!

Best of Luck with it!

Slan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement