Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kid A by Radiohead

• 25-01-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭

Hey I've had Kid A by Radiohead for ages and I only recently got around to listening to it properly and its brilliant!
    I was just wondering in How to Disappear Completely Thom sings -

'That there, that's not me
    I go where I please
    I walk through walls
    I float down the Liffey'

Is he talking bout the Dublin river? And if so I didn't know they were such fans of our humble island! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Think he wrote it one night in a hotel in Dublin (Clarence?) following a gig in The Point.

Aye, it's a humbling song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think he had a dream about floating down the liffey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

He said it referred to a panic attack he suffered prior to the gig in the RDS with Massive Attack and Teenage Fanclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

F**k, that would have been some gig. Radiohead, Massive Attack and Teenage Fanclub.....

I likey kid A. I prefer their later stuff, from Kid A on, not that the older stuff isn't good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It was a good day. Teenage Fanclub are one of those bands that just always work well in an open air setting. Massive Attack were cool, played a lot of the music live which really energised it compared to their recordings IMO and Radiohead, well, it was when they were at their most listener friendly really, got the best off the first three albums, lots of OK Computer, can't argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I was at that gig as well, a great concert. That album Kid A is excellent. 2nd only to Ok Computer. Everything else by Radiohead pales in comparison.
    Hail to the thief is dodgy bar 4/5 decent songs, Amnesiac is a mess with some nice tunes and ambiences mixed in, can't really warm to in Rainbows though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

not to go off topic, but I'd love to have seen Radiohead on the Kid A tour. I saw them for the first time in Belfort, France in 1997, OK Computer had just been released. It was so good. The Smashing Pumpkins came on after them, and I had just seen Supergrass before them :cool::cool:

There's footage of that Belfort gig (Eurorockéenes) on youtube...

Yeah, I imagine the Kid A tour would have been great, as you would have gotten lots from the other albums as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

seachto7 wrote: »
    not to go off topic, but I'd love to have seen Radiohead on the Kid A tour. I saw them for the first time in Belfort, France in 1997, OK Computer had just been released. It was so good. The Smashing Pumpkins came on after them, and I had just seen Supergrass before them :cool::cool:

There's footage of that Belfort gig (Eurorockéenes) on youtube...

Yeah, I imagine the Kid A tour would have been great, as you would have gotten lots from the other albums as well...

They played Punchestown racecourse on that tour in a big tent. Good gig too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

This line always gets a roar of approval when Radiohead play it in Ireland:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Kwekubo wrote: »
    This line always gets a roar of approval when Radiohead play it in Ireland:

Ah sweet memories.

Great album, seriously one of my favourites. Seen most of the tracks performed live too.

One of Radiohead's finest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Lynskey

Radiohead are,without doubt,THE most important band in the world and the only band that matters.Congrats, i suppose, on "discovering" them and make sure you listen to their other highpoints: OK Computer, The Bends, Hail to the Thief and of course the relatively new In Rainbows. Oh, and you HAVe to see them live--I took my girlfriend to one of their gigs and she was practically crying at the end(In a good way of course:p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Lynskey wrote: »
    Radiohead are,without doubt,THE most important band in the world and the only band that matters.

You can't be serious with that statement. A pick of thousands of bands out there for that and you give Radiohead that accolade?!

If you still feel that way in another ten years, more power to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think calling any band important is pretentious, though its not his fault, its just a stock phrase invented by journos which has passed into the lexicon of modern speak. But I find that phrase really annoying as it encourages the idea of a musical status quo.

Advertisement