Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine Query!

Options
  • 25-01-2009 1:18pm
    Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me how long Red and White Wine should last. I had a bottle of white wine that was lying in the back of a press for nearly two years and it tasted of the wooden cork so I couldn't drink it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

their was probably some fault with the cork,

and lying there for so long likely lead to the cork taste.

try store wines on their belly with the wine in contact with the cork and this shouldn't happen.

but most wine you buy in a supermarket are ready to be drunk when bought,
    although some might benefit with some ageing.

If a wine seems particularly intense it could be worth putting it down for a few years, and when you open it, maybe it will have matured into a different animal, or it might just get really dull.

if you have the time put a few bottles down and you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

yardeyar wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me how long Red and White Wine should last. I had a bottle of white wine that was lying in the back of a press for nearly two years and it tasted of the wooden cork so I couldn't drink it?

There is no easy answer to that one!
    It really depends on the wine.
    As stated most inexpensive wines are intended for immediate consumption and will not improve with age.
    Your taste buds are the best judge of a wine - if it tastes ok to you, then drink it - if not, chuck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

It's more likely to be past its best. Probably been stored at too high a temperature. If it smells of cork, best throwing it out.

Most, inexpensive wine doesn't need aging and usually needs to be drunk within a year of buying. Only age wine that's good enough to age (a wine merchant should know which of his wines need to be consumed young, and which can do with time). When putting it down choose somewhere that's consistently cool (not your kitchen!!) and lay it on its side.

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement