Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hendrix

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

We're not worthy! We're not worthy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Came across this the other night while lookin for clapton stuff, epic stuff indeed. Came across a Kravitz and Clapton version of this song too, quite good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I kinda blow hot and cold, dunno why really. I suspect its the way peeps think the guitar was kicked forwards a 1000 years by him when thats not the case that annoys me. Still tracks like Stone Free (funky version below) and In From the Storm sure kicks ass. Cry of Love is his best album to my ears.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Hendrix is on another plane to most other musicians of the 20th century.

For me, it doesnt come down to 'how far he pushed guitar' or anything like that. Its that something intangible that very few people are blessed with; call it musical talent or artistic genius or whatever you want. Those notes between the notes, or the way the music connects witht he listener on a different level.

You either have it or you don't, and Hendrix had it, in spades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well you would say that, no? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

mike65 wrote: »
    Well you would say that, no? :)
    FoxyLady was taken :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

its funny i always have debates over hendrix with metal guitar players...who often knock him as 'not fast enough' or 'primitive'...... but fact is if someone can't hear how good he was and how he practically wrote the book on modern rock guitar playing....then there's probably no point telling them....

great clip by the way:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Those notes between the notes

[stoner] you have to listen to the notes he's not playing.......maaaaaaaaan [/stoner]

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

its funny i always have debates over hendrix with metal guitar players...who often knock him as 'not fast enough' or 'primitive'.

Just tell them Jimi is as primal as it gets ;) 'nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

When someone is as universally acclaimed as Jimi, you'll get some who wish to detract, and some who uncontrollably drool.

I'll take a middle-ish road & say the man was a guitar genius.

I'd have said more, but he pissed me off by dying before I could see him play live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

On another note, it's a fact that Jimi was, at one time, considering an offer to join.......................................................................................................................ELP!!!!:eek:

While it might have come up with some interesting stuff, and would maybe have limited Keith Emerson's self-indulgence, I have to say thank God he didn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

mike65 wrote: »
    I kinda blow hot and cold, dunno why really. I suspect its the way peeps think the guitar was kicked forwards a 1000 years by him when thats not the case that annoys me.

Yeah, I kinda feel the same way in the sense that people really do seem to blow him out of proportion. But when it comes right down to it, when you ignoring the gushing, the man was an absolute genius who made some great music, and that's what counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I bought the live at Monterray dvd recently and its just immense. Its just before he really hit the big time in the US. People forget that he was only around as a solo artist for 3 or 4 years and look at the legacy he left. Electric Ladyland showed the direction he was heading in, and how he was developing as a producer and innovator as well as an amazing musician. Its one of my favourite albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

You only need to listen to Castles Made Of Sand to know the man could write a song! Slightly on topic, what do people make of Noel Redding's bass lines considering he was a "guitarist who switched to bass to get the job"?

Advertisement