Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do our politicians read this forum?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

The Politics forum here at Boards features debate and discussion which is (usually) of quite a high quality, something that is rarely seen in the Dáil. Maybe our TD's should take a leaf out of the Boards-Book.

People here offer their ideas and opinions which are then disected and analysed by others, arguments and counter-arguments are formed etc.

So apart from Questions and Answers, where else does the public get the chance to interact with politicians in the public eye, quiz them about what they are doing to tackle the issues of the day and engage them in proper debate?

I am not advocating a bitch 'n moan tv-show where everyone can voice their grievances, but some sort of public medium for debate with the boys in Leinster House could prove useful.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Leon08 wrote: »
    The Politics forum here at Boards features debate and discussion which is (usually) of quite a high quality...

Usually? I don't think so. I'd say sometimes. Perhaps marginally better than Liveline.
    ... something that is rarely seen in the Dáil...

I'd agree with that.
    ...Your thoughts?

The usefulness of political discussion in a relatively small group is limited. It has some value as an interesting way to pass the time, to play with ideas, and broaden or deepen one's own understanding of public issues. It might be that ideas worked out here can ripple out further through being taken up and discussed elsewhere.

But I don't think that by advancing my ideas here, I am likely to change the world. It might possibly happen, but it's a helluva long shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Leon08

But I don't think that by advancing my ideas here, I am likely to change the world. It might possibly happen, but it's a helluva long shot.

I know the chances of changing anything are almost non-existent, but perhaps if it was possible for a politician to be really and properly put on the spot, to have their slippery eel-like circumventions challenged when they do not have a chance to slip away, that it could be shown that they are full of hot air.

When politicians talk to reporters its mostly a one-way thing, they can get away with saying practically nothing except a few lines of bullsh*t and then trotting off.

When journalists write articles in the paper they are not engaging the politicians in debate either.

Every way you turn it seems that nobody is actually engaging them to discuss anything! Even if a proper discussion could take place wouldnt that make it worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Isn't the opposition in charge of debating with the government? The Seanad also raise ideas and points for debate and the Ministers do talk to them.

The people put their ideas to their representatives who represent them by putting those ideas forward if enough people are pushing, things will be achieved.

Of course the problem is people aren't pushing and have become disillusioned in many cases with the system since nothing they put forward as requiring change seems to get done.

In response to the thread title, yes some of them do read threads here. The thread in the broadband forum about Three Broadband was raised in the Seanad and Eamonn Ryan has posted on boards.ie (himself and not his secretary at least according to the people who invited him to do it).

So boards.ie does have an affect. If any of them read the politics forum, I'm sure they won't post here for fear of what would happen and I'm sure they ignore 99.9% of what is said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭pickles_17

no, they dont read it, they cant read!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Joan Burton has an account on Boards. She only posted once AFAIK and it was on the Dublin 15 forum: http://wang.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=165435

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think it shows the problems some of them with contacting the people. I mean they can't go out on the streets and talk to the people because most would just tell them to fook off.

They have to wait to be contacted and hope not by an insane person. Maybe they should have their own government forum where they have to/can address popular public concerns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

pickles_17 wrote: »
    no, they dont read it, they cant read!

Thats just what I was thinking:D

But on a serious note, most of them probably do not have the time, especially at this point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

brim4brim wrote: »
    I think it shows the problems some of them with contacting the people. I mean they can't go out on the streets and talk to the people because most would just tell them to fook off.

They have to wait to be contacted and hope not by an insane person. Maybe they should have their own government forum where they have to/can address popular public concerns?

sounds like a good plan

it should be open to the public
    but only elected officials should be allowed to post
    (this prevents trolling mostlty)

Advertisement