Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 speakeasy

• 25-01-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

Been with O2 for the last few years. Was on the early bird tariff which gave calls to mobiles and landlines at 19c during the day. Grand. Noticed in the last few weeks i was putting a lot more money into the phone. Investigated. No such thing as early bird anymore calls now 49c/min. So called "free" texts and calls of no use to me as no one i call is on O2. In the process of switching to three. Nice of them to let me know of the changes in advance:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Early bird and Night owl has been replaced by other plans about 2 years ago.
    I like the current plans as most of the people i would call are on o2 as well. That gives me free calls to those people at any time. As long as i top up 20 a month....

I didnt notice the change of plans until i checked their website. For me the new plans work out better that the Night owl i used to be on.

I guess that is the way those companies work nowadays. Dont inform people and if they complain they just tell you "But it was all on our website"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

you are probably better off shopping around anyway as o2 have not really kept up with the competition in the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭conan doyle

I have been thinking of changing to 3, are they cheaper and do you know what the coverage is like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

If they're phones are anything like their broadband, RUN!@!@!@!'!@! RUN AND DON'T STOP!!

tbh, The 'mobile chain' goes like this, From cheapest & best to expensive and worst.

Meteor - Vodafone - O2 - 3

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jackbauer

pretty sure i was on early bird last year but there you go. Never been on 3 so i'll give them a shot , only a tenner for the sim. I found meteor to be crap to be honest but that was a few years ago. O2 are really only good if everyone you talk to is with them. practically nobody that i call is so thats that. Put a fiver in on friday morning , made a few quick calls , all gone. sod that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

Im on 3 network since the first year they started in ireland which would be November 2002, at the time, i got my other half, mum and dad to switch too and no one had any problems with covrage, all 3 bar myself switched as they wanted different phones that 3 didnt offer but 2 years down the line all 3 have gone back to 3 network and never had any problems.
    There big down fall would be their customer call centre which is based in different country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

CutzEr wrote: »
    If they're phones are anything like their broadband, RUN!@!@!@!'!@! RUN AND DON'T STOP!!

tbh, The 'mobile chain' goes like this, From cheapest & best to expensive and worst.

Meteor - Vodafone - O2 - 3

That is rubbish, IMHO. They have by far the best range of phones, all are 3g, and way,way cheaper than any of the other networks. Plans are quite innovative too. Have been with them over a year and have no complaints. If you are in a dodgy area for coverage they piggyback on the voda network at no extra cost to you. Also roaming in UK is free if you roam on their UK network. If you are into social networking, why not try the new INQ1. Skype, Facebook, Bebo, Windows Messenger are all built in on it.

by a different country i guess you mean the flip side of the planet?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Indeed. Prepare yourself to listen to Indian English

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

eh yeah ha, but ive only every had to ring them on small thing once or twice.

All in all a good service and they do great upgrades every year, this year i got Samsung tocco for € 9 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

inforfun wrote: »
    I guess that is the way those companies work nowadays. Dont inform people and if they complain they just tell you "But it was all on our website"

Actually probably every company works like that. You sign up onto a savings account and they are boasting a deadly 7% (5.6 AER) whatever, your like thats great ill sign onto that and save regularly. That can change at any time, 4months down the road. The banks are only obliged to advertise it in the newspaper or perhaps on their website. It's up to the Consumer to check these changes out Hense the saying "Consumer beware"
    Unless it's a contract and doesn't state in the contract that it can change at any time than your safe. Like signing onto a bill phone. You will always have the same package regardless of new ones coming out unless you specifically ask to change to the new one. Whereas you sign to open savings account, in the small writing it says its variable and is subject to change with the pricing set by the Irish Central Bank or whatever bank that may be.

3 didnt work out for me in the end as my "old" 5410 wont work with their sim. Nice of them to warn me during the checkout process. Played phone tag with the indians for half an hour to be told the tech dept was not available. anyway the 9 euro will probably page the wage bill for six months.

jackbauer wrote: »
    3 didnt work out for me in the end as my "old" 5410 wont work with their sim. Nice of them to warn me during the checkout process. Played phone tag with the indians for half an hour to be told the tech dept was not available. anyway the 9 euro will probably page the wage bill for six months.

Yup 3 use 3G network so you need a 3G phone :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Been with O2 for the last few years. Was on the early bird tariff which gave calls to mobiles and landlines at 19c during the day. Grand. Noticed in the last few weeks i was putting a lot more money into the phone. Investigated. No such thing as early bird anymore calls now 49c/min.

I'm still on EarlyBird, O2 can't just change your price plan without your permission.
    Contact the telecoms regulator and make a complaint if your plan was changed without notification.

you sure? When i logged in said early bird and night owl were no longer available. Anyway their loss i've moved to meteor.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I'm still on EarlyBird, O2 can't just change your price plan without your permission.
    Contact the telecoms regulator and make a complaint if your plan was changed without notification.

On prepay they can change your tariff under 2 circumstances

1. it was a promotion
    2. They changing you to a better plan.

Just want to point out that you haven't signed a contract to be on that particuar tariff so what are telecoms regulator going to do?

you sure? When i logged in said early bird and night owl were no longer available. Anyway their loss i've moved to meteor.
    they are no longer available but if you were/are on those plans o2 can't just switch you onto a different plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭deleriumtremens

Did anyone else notice that, once you buy 20 euro credit at the start of the month to get your "free texts" for the month, phone calls start to cost like 63 cent per minute, even at night? This made me realise that you can never win with these so called deals, its not like o2 are trying to do you a favour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 didnt work out for me in the end as my "old" 5410 wont work with their sim quote]

Don't you mean the 5140 and yes a 3 sim does work with it....

yes sorry its 5140 and all i could get from it was "sim card rejected".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yes sorry its 5140 and all i could get from it was "sim card rejected".

that's because your phone is already locked to another network not because the sim won't work...

phone is unlocked. Has been used with o2 , vodafone and now on meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭grinder23

Did anyone else notice that, once you buy 20 euro credit at the start of the month to get your "free texts" for the month, phone calls start to cost like 63 cent per minute, even at night? This made me realise that you can never win with these so called deals, its not like o2 are trying to do you a favour!

No calls cost 49c to vodafone and meteor on that plan and calls to O2 and landlines cost 19c anytime i dont know where your getting 63c from and also there are many many people nowadays who only text and receive calls that it suits a hell of alot of people to have unlimited texts for 20 quid or 5 a week like how i do it

the old night owl plans have calls to other mobiles costing 63cent per minute during the day but they are much cheaper off-peak.

Advertisement