Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save me! for the love of God save me :/

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

WooPeeA wrote: »
    About 2-3 years ago my father became strong Christian, church every Sunday, reading religious books, watching religious movies etc. He was getting mad sometimes that he's the only Christian in the house and nobody's following him.

After couple of months he left religious books for other kind of books, like Paulo Cohelo for example, and week after week became less and less religious until he finally back to normal..
    Paulo Coelho would fit into the 'spiritual' realm rather than the Christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Paulo Coelho would fit into the 'spiritual' realm rather than the Christian.
    But he doesn't support Catholic point of view on things and do not advertise church, that's why many priests simply dislike him.

Many people think that he or Cohelo-like people are more right than their churches. Many see their books like some kind of spiritual experience and of course they have full right to do so. It's also very common, for all religions. That's why they are that popular among different countries and cultures.

WooPeeA wrote: »
    But he doesn't support Catholic point of view on things and do not advertise church, that's why many priests simply dislike him.

Many people think that he or Cohelo-like people are more right than their churches. Many see their books like some kind of spiritual experience and of course they have full right to do so. It's also very common, for all religions. That's why they are that popular among different countries and cultures.

I would imagine that many priests dislike him because his books are ****e. The fact is that he's not Christian and this is reflected in his books. His spirituality is quite apart from Christianity; they should not be conflated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fanny, if I didn't know better it almost sounds like you are jealous of his books' success! And I don't think anyone one was conflating Christianity with his stuff - which is not my cup of tea either, btw. :)

How dare you! I have many best sellers to my name!

Surely WooPeeA was? Or am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

They're not going to let up. My advice is to take a leaf out of Dawkins and Hitchens, and whenever they bring it up go in with arms swinging. If you can confidently confront them, you might be able to at least make them less evangelical. Don't try to refute god, just demonstrate how stupid their literal beliefs are.

Advertisement