Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make stickies stick out more?

Options
  • 25-01-2009 3:11pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a small one. Was wondering if we could do a teensy bit more to differentiate the stickied threads from the non-stickied ones?
    Maybe a different icon for the envelope and varying the font?
    I reckon it might make people more likely to read the stickies and differentiates them from the threads a little more so you can automatically scan past them to the first thread..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Was thinking this myself the other day.. my suggestion would be for the topic title to be in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Sully wrote: »
    Was thinking this myself the other day.. my suggestion would be for the topic title to be in bold.

That would make me think I hadn't read a new post in it. I'd be constantly clicking on it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

javaboy wrote: »
    That would make me think I hadn't read a new post in it. I'd be constantly clicking on it. :D
    all the better, people might read the fecking things then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

You don't wanna make them stand out too much or people will just slip them like they do the sitewide annoucements. You want people to have to ponder over them slightly before looking at the rest of the threads.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm not a big fan of this idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Something inobtrusive would be good I think.
    I think there's a fair few mods that would say that people don't see or don't bother with either announcements or stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Emboldened of a different colour font. Blue or something.
    Then again, that could screw things up for different skins.
    Probably just emboldened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

<blink></blink>

But seriously, you want them to stand out in a way that people will recognise without confusing them with something else (bold being generally understood to mean "new post"). Something more like a non-obtrusive but high contrast (contradiction much?) background colour change might work best IMO. Something like a pale red against the otherwise white/grey would would well on the Classic (I think) skin for example.

Or, as I have suggested before, make the tags available for stickies and other important threads like they are here in Development and Bargain Alerts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The tag thing is a good idea, but should only be available to mods on their respective forums.
    No idea if that's viable though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Oh, of course mod only.

This has come up a few times in the last week

Feedback thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055499944

Comma Box thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055497104

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Even just have something like COLOR="Red"]STICKY[/COLOR freebie list!!

Yep that'd be a good idea to use the Pre-fixes somehow.
    I added pre-fixes to the stickies in the Adverts Support forum to help them stick out (and also the users aren't using the stickies.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=646

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hope I'm not asking a stupid question here, but how could I go about getting pre-fixes activated on the T&P forum?

Hope I'm not asking a stupid question here, but how could I go about getting pre-fixes activated on the T&P forum?

Stick up a Suggestion thread here.
    Make sure ye chase it up or it'll get lost ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055483594 ee3f78c65e56ac79d873582759881ff6.jpg

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement