Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal issues, second hand xp cd key

Options
  • 25-01-2009 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

If i have an old broken laptop and I remove the CD key and use it on a new machine, is it 100% legal.

I though it was 100% legal as long as the other machine is defunct.
    This is a popular stance with others as well.

I need to be 100% sure though as somebody told me otherwise once.

Usually I wouldn't give a crap about that kinda thing, but its for a business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

It depends on the original license. An OEM license is NOT transferable and it should (does) state this in the EULA on install. It gets a little tricker with Volume Licenses and mostly these are OK to move about, but its not that black and white. If its OEM then you can't transfer it. Besides, if XP/Vista then on first Validation a hardware hash is created and it won't let you activate it again on other hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

To add to the above, OEM licences are not trasferrable, +1

The only way you can transfer the copy that I know of is if you bought the disk in a shop/online and you uninstall it from the PC it was on before. You may need to furnish MS with proof that you've done this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sdonn_1 wrote:
    The only way you can transfer the copy that I know of is if you bought the disk in a shop/online and you uninstall it from the PC it was on before. You may need to furnish MS with proof that you've done this.
    OEM Windows is not transferrable from the motherboard.
    The only exceptions are where the motherboard is replaced under warranty by the original manufacturer or you have a volume license and enrole the OEM in continuous thingybuzzer in the first 90 days.

Upgrade Windows is only transferrable if the version of windows upgraded was not OEM. If you upgrade OEM you are still stuck to the original motherboard.

Full retail copies / upgrades of non-OEM are transferrable, when you remove from the original machine from the other system.

And you can only install vista on one partition, nevermind another PC

Advertisement