Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play.com Exchange Rate Conversion

Options
  • 25-01-2009 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Play.com is a good site.

The exchange rate between euro and sterling seems to be a little off.

If I put my postal address down as Northern Ireland - Could I pay for stuff in sterling?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

exchange rate on play has been brought up a million times,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Cork wrote: »
    If I put my postal address down as Northern Ireland - Could I pay for stuff in sterling?

Last time I checked, Cork wasn't part of Northern Ireland. :D

Unless you're address is actually IN Northern Ireland, the item won't be delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭FrCrilly

Cork wrote: »
    Play.com is a good site.

The exchange rate between euro and sterling seems to be a little off.

You don't say what you are buying, but if it's DVDs, books and the like, I would suggest not having any form of loyalty to Play.com and shop around taking Play.com's excessive exchange rate into account (which you're already doing).

From other threads I've put together the following which may give you better value.

DVDs

Use the price comparison function on
    http://www.dvdbargainalerts.co.uk

Some Delivery Charges

Play.com “free” (but poor GBP/Eur exchange rate which is compulsory)
    Sendit.com free (keep price in sterling to avoid poor exchange rate).
    CDWow.com free (apparently has long waiting time)
    Asda.co.uk free.
    MovieTyme.com free,
    thehut.com £1
    dvd.co.uk £1 (apparently fast delivery)
    Axelmusic.com £1
    BlahDVD £1
    HMV £2.50

Books

1. Sendit.com – Free delivery to Ireland and allows you to pay in sterling.
    2. TheHut.com – Stg0.99p delivery charge to Ireland.
    3. Play.com- “Free” delivery to Ireland but compulsory excessive Euro/Stg exchange which can amount to a sizable delivery charge.
    4. BookDepository.co.uk- Free delivery to Ireland.
    5. Amazon.co.uk- Stg0.99p delivery per item subject to min charge Stg3.99p charge per order.
    6. BooksUnlimited.ie- €5.50 delivery for first 2 books, €2.50 per book thereafter.

Advertisement