Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird text messages (who is this)

• 25-01-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I wasn't sure which forum to post on so mods, if there's anywhere more appropriate please feel free to move.

For the last few months I've been getting texts from a random mobile number I don't recognise, maybe once or twice a month a few weeks apart. The text says 'who is this' and nothing else and I always receive it twice. I have googled the number and nothing comes up, and searched for anyone experiencing something similar but to no avail.

I initially assumed it was one of those scams where you call back the number and get through to a premium rate line (I still think it could be). Two times when it happened I texted back. The first time I very quickly received a reply saying 'sorry wrong number', the second time just 'wrong number'. If they don't know who it is how do they know it's the wrong number? :confused:

I checked my credit before and after and had only been charged a standard text rate.

I am baffled as to what this is about. It's not a major hassle to get a few texts, but after several months it's starting to annoy me!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭pickles_17

someone who fancies ya, but is too shy to say its them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Did you sleep with someone's girlfriend? Or are you texting someone's girlfriend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Serafijn wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. I wasn't sure which forum to post on so mods, if there's anywhere more appropriate please feel free to move.

For the last few months I've been getting texts from a random mobile number I don't recognise, maybe once or twice a month a few weeks apart. The text says 'who is this' and nothing else and I always receive it twice. I have googled the number and nothing comes up, and searched for anyone experiencing something similar but to no avail.

I initially assumed it was one of those scams where you call back the number and get through to a premium rate line (I still think it could be). Two times when it happened I texted back. The first time I very quickly received a reply saying 'sorry wrong number', the second time just 'wrong number'. If they don't know who it is how do they know it's the wrong number? :confused:

I checked my credit before and after and had only been charged a standard text rate.

I am baffled as to what this is about. It's not a major hassle to get a few texts, but after several months it's starting to annoy me!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

This may infringe on Human Right but.... and mods can delete this....

You possibly don't want to ring this person for what ever reason. Most people have a voice mail set up. To get straight into someones voicemail with out ring them all you need to do is place 5 in front of the number. I.E.

087 5 XXXXXXX
    086 5 XXXXXXX
    085 5 XXXXXXX
    083 5 XXXXXXX
    089 5 XXXXXXX

Lesson number 1 of how to become someones stalker ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

depending on your phone just get blacklist and block them from ringing or texting you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

Thanks for the quick responses ;)

To answer the first two suggestions: I don't give out my number very often and I'm faithful to my husband thank you very much :o

Thanks Seany for the sensible suggestion :p but my phone is not hi-tech enough to have the blacklist function on it :( Also I'm actually interested to know what on earth this is about!

One thing that did occur to me, and I haven't checked, is that I might be getting charged for the texts the number sends to me - is this possible? I've only checked the rates for texts I sent to the number...

• Advertisement

One thing that did occur to me, and I haven't checked, is that I might be getting charged for the texts the number sends to me - is this possible? I've only checked the rates for texts I sent to the number...

If the number is charging you for the text you receive then you should see that on your bill/call charges as you would normal text messages.

Go with my suggestion just to see who it is, you might actually know the person. There is nothing wrong with leaving a VM.

I think mobile phone companies can restrict numbers to your number.

pm me the number ill give it a buzz. Hope its vodafone cos i moly have credit for vodafone to vodafone lol. Im cheap.
    You can download the blacklist software for your phone if its not on it already. What phone ya got.

Thanks Elmo. I just tried the voicemail trick and just got the standard O2 message when the person hasn't set their mailbox up. I also had a look at my online bill and can't see any charges from incoming texts at all.

Still confused!

Ring your operator and ask them to block the number from ringing you.

Thanks Elmo. I just tried the voicemail trick and just got the standard O2 message when the person hasn't set their mailbox up. I also had a look at my online bill and can't see any charges from incoming texts at all.

Still confused!

Stalker lesson number 2, don't set up a VM message.

Ring your operator and ask them to block the number from ringing you.

Yeah see if that works. Then the last resort is the gardi

• Advertisement

It's you isn't it Elmo :D

I'll try getting on to Meteor then, thanks guys!

It's you isn't it Elmo :D

Your skipping all of the lesson to becoming a stalker. That's is nearer chapter 10 How to mess with the stalkee's mind , step 50: Internet forums. :D

Advertisement